Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235?

/ Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235? #1  

robertwhite

Silver Member
L3400 vs. CT235.

Both comparable tractors and both priced very close to each other.

Only options will be FEL w/quick attach, R4's, Adj.seat and a ballast box.

Which would you choose and why?

/ Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235? #2  
L3400 vs. CT235.

My personal preference would be Kubota for the following reason;
-CT235 at 3000 lbs is heavier than L3400 but you can add weigh to 3400 so that is not an issue.
-Kubota has better fit and finish or may be better metallurgy, although korean are getting better all the time and a re badged Kioti to Bobcat is not bad in fit and finish either.
-Better parts network availability with with kubota.
- For sure, Kubota fares better in re sell value that Bobcat.

JC,

ps. They had a free loader offer with Bobcat , that might be a game changer for many.

/ Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235? #3  
may be better metallurgy, although korean are getting better all the time .

Time to put this old Kubota marketing warhorse to pasture. Korea has some of the most sophisticated steel plants in the world. Many are far more sophisticated than what is available for mild steel in the USA. State of the art supertankers are built in Korea, how many were built in the USA or Japan recently? Japan has nothing over Korea on steel making these days.

There are good reasons to choose the Kubota or the Bobcat over the other: Dealer network in your area could favor either. Clearly Kubota has better dealer network than Kioti but Bobcat is a pretty big operation. Resale probably still favors Kubota but it is too early to say what the name Bobcat will do for resale of Daedong tractors.

FEL strength I believe favors Bobcat. The Kubota LA463 lifts 853lbs to max at 500mm in front of pivot pins. Bobcat specifies 1225lbs for the same measurement although the Kubota lifts to about 94 inches and the Bobcat to 84. If that extra ten inches is important then Kubota has the advantage. If lifting a few feet off the ground is important Bobcat probably wins. Breakout is nearly identical.

Deluxe features favor Bobcat as the Kubota L3400 is an economy line tractor while the CT235 is more comparable featurewise to the deluxe L series. Make sure you are comfortable in the seats. Not sure if Kubota includes a suspension seat on the L3400 but that would be a deal killer for me if they didn't. I've lived with both types of seat and the difference is huge.

Bottom line is that both are very fine machines that will give you years and years of service.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235?
Just wanted to add this........... Bobcat dealer quoted me a real good price. Now the CT235 is coming in at $2K+ less than the L3400.

Does that sway the decision any?

BTW, I will be using mainly for RFM & bush hogging and machine will be well cared for.

/ Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235? #5  
L3400 vs. CT235.

I just bought a CT335 a couple weeks ago. I thought I was going to get the Kubota (didn't decide on exatly which one) until I physically sat in the seat and drove the Bobcat. Seemed much more comfortable and the controls were better placed (for me anyway).

The biggest thing I didn't like about the Kubota is the loader joystick is attached to the loader not the tractor. I know this is an option that can be bought but it is standard on the Bobcat. You mentioned the adjustable seat, thats standard on the Bobcat and I believe an option on the Kubota and to me the Bobcat felt way more comfortable as well. I also figured in the free (at the time) FEL and the price was much better for a comparable 38 hp machine.

As for them being made wherever they're made, I had to overcome that because you'd be hard pressed to find a compact tractor that isn't made "over there".

The dealer was also a big factor for me, if you have both dealers nearby, go drive them both, preferrably more then once, and see which dealer welcomes you back the second and third times, they probably both will, but that will do a couple things, let them know that your truely interested and not just out driving tractors, and when you do make your purchase and then deal with them at a later date, they'll remember you. It will also help you really make up YOUR mind which one YOU like, thats what matters.

Steve

/ Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235? #6  
Just wanted to add this........... Bobcat dealer quoted me a real good price. Now the CT235 is coming in at $2K+ less than the L3400.

Does that sway the decision any?
quote]

I'd say it is a toss up at equal cost and therefore a $2K difference in purchase price is hard to ignore. I'd guess that if you asked the Bobcat dealer for a quote on the 38hp CT335 it would not be far off the L3400 price and that tractor has even more "deluxe" and more powerful loader than the CK235.

Any of these three would be excellent for bush hogging.

Don't forget to factor in your comfort with the dealers.

/ Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235? #7  
Listen to Island, he is a knowledgeable reference!

I was in the exact same spot as you: L3400 or CK35 (Kioti). After multiple drives and much analysis I ended up with a DK35. Price between the CT235 and the CT335 really was insignificant if my memory serves me. I want to say it was less than the price difference between the CT230 and the 235. I going from memory on this as I went with the Kioti and threw out my Bobcat quotes so I may be under water.

Happy pickin'

/ Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235? #8  
Listen to Island, he is a knowledgeable reference!

I was in the exact same spot as you: L3400 or CK35 (Kioti). After multiple drives and much analysis I ended up with a DK35. Price between the CT235 and the CT335 really was insignificant if my memory serves me. I want to say it was less than the price difference between the CT230 and the 235. I going from memory on this as I went with the Kioti and threw out my Bobcat quotes so I may be under water.

Happy pickin'

Your absolutely correct. The price difference between tractors gets less as you get bigger. The price difference between the 235 and the 335 was about $2100. and that included the front remotes which are a little expensive. The remotes are more for the 335 then the 235...not sure why (???)

There are a few differences and to me made the choice, beside the obvious HP and bigger, heavier frame, the travel pedals, the 235 (and below) have the rocker type single pedal and the 335 (and up) have the forward and reverse pedals, guess it just depends on what your used to. Second was the telescoping lowers on the 335 and the rear mounted 3PT raise/lower lever in the back, nice option.

Either one is a real nice machine (kubota or Bobcat)...good luck.

/ Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235?
I physically sat in the seat and drove the Bobcat. Seemed much more comfortable and the controls were better placed (for me anyway).

You mentioned the adjustable seat, thats standard on the Bobcat and I believe an option on the Kubota

I think the Bobcat feels better too. The seat however, is not fully adjustable unless ordered that way (like $200 or so). The standard 235 seat is just a forward/back deal. I sat in a fully adjustable one and it is night and day. Fully adjustable is a must.

/ Kubota L3400 or Bobcat CT235? #10  
I think the Bobcat feels better too. The seat however, is not fully adjustable unless ordered that way (like $200 or so). The standard 235 seat is just a forward/back deal. I sat in a fully adjustable one and it is night and day. Fully adjustable is a must.

you may be right on the 235, on my 335 the deluxe adjustable seat was an option that I didn't get, but the standard adjustable seat that I did get has 3 different adjustments on it, forward/back, tilt, and adjustment for the weight of the butt thats in it. its really pretty nice. and if thats the option on the 235...I'd spend the 200 bucks for sure.

Steve