Cold Weather Starting

/ Cold Weather Starting #1  

PointyHairedBoss

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B21 TLB, Kubota B2920
Hi - my first post:

I have a tractor in my future, between 35 & 45 HP, HST, loader, cab, front mount snowblower. I'm thinking either Kioti or Kubota. I'm located near Parry Sound, Ontario & one of the primary uses will be to keep my 1/2 mile driveway clear of snow. It is not uncommon to get below 0F temperatures so cold weather starting is very important. I've been reading a lot of posts & reviews & noticed that cold weather starting problems were mentioned a few times for Kioti (not for Kubota).

I know you can plug in a block heater on cold nights but to complicate my situation, I'm off grid & don't have the capacity to leave heaters running. A quick warm up using a heater in the morning (1/2 hour or so) would be acceptable, but good cold weather starting would be better.

All you cold weather operators - any comments?

Last edited:
   / Cold Weather Starting #2  
I have a L4240 Kubota..live in way northern NY,on the border with Canada..similar weather;my tractor always starts up..coldest weather...I have a block heater but seldom use it.Tractor is out-doors(cabbed).:thumbsup:

/ Cold Weather Starting #3  
I store my Jinma indoors but unheated. I have an inline coolant heater that I plug in for about fifteen minutes to half an hour and it starts when I turn the key. The engine has glow plugs that work ok but I prefer the heater. Unless it is a really finickity diesel, warming it up to above freezing should get it to start

/ Cold Weather Starting #4  
I live in the great state of Kansas and it gets pretty chilly here in the winter.with the thermostart and decompression my little Yanmar always starts. russ

/ Cold Weather Starting #5  
They start and run much better in cold weather with synthetic lubricants.

/ Cold Weather Starting
I run Mobil Delvac 1 in my VW diesel Jetta & changed my Deutz powered generator to the same oil so I'm a big fan of synthetics, especially for cold weather operation. Do Kubota & Kioti have an official position on using synthetics in their equipment? I tried to get approval from Honda for using synthetic in my ATV but Honda doesn't officially approve. After reading a few newsgroups I switched to Amsoil 0-40 motorcycle synthetic with no problem. And it starts much better in cold weather.

By the way, I appreciate the comments regarding tractor starting in cold weather but what I am really interested in is if there is a consensus as to which starts better in cold weather - Kubota or Kioti.

/ Cold Weather Starting #7  
The intake pre heater is good if you dont have access to electric. In addition, the colder climate you are in, the lower viscosity engine oil you would probably use. Maybe 30 in the summer and 20 in the winter. Some New tractor manufacturers have suggested that, or multi viscosity, in the past. I have had new Kioti's come in while the temps were below 0 F and they had been breezed out coming from Wilson, NC across the mountains on a flatbed carrier. Never had one to fail to start to offload the truck. I cannot speak to Kubota. Ken Sweet

/ Cold Weather Starting #8  
I turn on blocker heater least an hour before 15F..just little extra help for glow plugs.

/ Cold Weather Starting #9  
I park indoors, no heat, no block heater - started every time all last winter, but the coldest it got was -18C. I always gave the glow plugs a double dose - don't know if that helped, it just may have! :)

/ Cold Weather Starting #10  
I have a CK30 Kioti and it is stored in an unheated shed and it has nevered whirled for more than two or three seconds before starting. I'll give it the double dose of the glow plugs in the winter but it hasn't even given me so much as a hiccup yet. Cold starts down to minus twenty celcius. Three winters so far.

Steve
Nova Scotia