Buying Advice USA made?

/ USA made? #21  
As other have said most the small ones aren't made here anymore. It makes sense if you think about it. In countries like Japan and Korea they have smaller farms than here and thus smaller tractors. They are good at making them, there is no shame in buying a well engineered product manufacture, or designed in another country. I have never understood the made in the USA mentality. You should buy the product that fits your needs and budget and is of the correct quality regardless of where it is made, that is the company that deserves your business.

/ USA made? #22  
I have never understood the made in the USA mentality.

Respectfully,
Do you understand outsourcing manufacturing and replacing it with a service industry? You no longer work for Ford(our Norfolk Truck Plant closed 2 years ago) but you have lots of opportunity to cut grass for a living or work for Walmart. We are just trading manufacturing jobs for service jobs. No one is hurt are they?

In short I've seen the above and it's not pretty. While I agree with your buying advice I don't at all agree about not understanding sending money offshore.

What I have asked University Profs from Virginia to Cambridge, Mass is why, if manufacturing jobs are dirty and undesirable, are countries like Japan keeping their own industry? Why does Germany maintain their own manufacturing industry? Both countries have high standards of living and yet they are marching 180 degrees out from the USA.

I'll personally go on the record and say I believe we have passed the point in our decline of manufacturing capability were there is no real reason to worry about it anymore. We have a reckoning on the horizon. Kind of like worrying about the National Debt. We've been spent into a hole that is hugely unlikely to ever start going back in the right direction before we have a financial collapse like Greece or Spain. Who, you might ask, is the banker of the EU and the ONLY country with the reserves to buy them out of complete insolvency? Germany is the answer. Is there a connection between real value on paper and a countries ability to produce Iron? I think so...

The computer boom is great. I made a good bit of money in high school and college that allowed me to avoid a job if I did not want one with prudent investment. I think the energy boom/crisis is going to make a lot of folks rich. I plan to be one of them... That said I dunno if computer jobs and energy sector jobs can employ and fund a Superpower.

Our banker is China. They paid for the stimulus and they buy the greatest share of our debt. They also are working on making every piece of junk that enters the United States on container ships that are the largest in history. Ever wonder by containers are so cheap over here? There is very little to send back in them...

A lot of folks don't get the "Made in USA" bit and a lot of companies have taken short term advantage of that... Companies like John Deere that has whored out across the globe. The NEW Cheap Deere 5000 D and E tractors? Made in India...

My problem is that the folks who made Deere a great company have retired and/or died off. MARKETERS run Deere not Manufacturers. I loved the companies products for years, however, they are becoming just another brand today. A mind numbingly overexploited brand to boot...

Dunno as I will buy a "true" Deere or buy a Kubota. One thing I admire about Kubota is that just about everything on that machine is marked "Made in Japan"...

Do you know who made the best and most machine tools in 1940? The United States by a Mile. We exported machine tools to our allies... Who makes the worlds best CNC Machine Tools today? Japan. Our former enemy.

Moral of the story is NOT understanding the "Made in USA" bit from company presidents to John Q. Public, combined with a greed for short term gain, has put this country on track for loosing our status as the worlds only remaining Superpower. The US has seen it's best days and we make history everyday the Republic continues to stand. Our parents are enjoying a better standard of living than their grandchildren will... Granted there are lots of folks with money and vision. Fortunes can and will be made even in our decline, however, the "vast" middle class will get smaller, the underclass will explode, the rich will gather together in enclaves of fenced protection from the average guy and his family...

That said all empires must fall...

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

/ USA made? #23  
I really don't think TGF meant he is indifferent to the problems in this country, just that "Made in the USA" does not ***** quality. I worked a lot of years for what little I have and if "Made in the USA" is on the best or equivalent quality, I will buy it. Both of my Toyotas were made in the USA, while my brother's Chevys were made in Mexico.

According to Cars.com the Tundra has more domestic content by a slight margin than any other full size pickup.

I do agree sadly that we are overall losing our manufacturing base and it will come back to haunt us.

/ USA made? #24  
I really don't think TGF meant he is indifferent to the problems in this country, just that "Made in the USA" does not ***** quality. I worked a lot of years for what little I have and if "Made in the USA" is on the best or equivalent quality, I will buy it. Both of my Toyotas were made in the USA, while my brother's Chevys were made in Mexico.

According to Cars.com the Tundra has more domestic content by a slight margin than any other full size pickup.

I do agree sadly that we are overall losing our manufacturing base and it will come back to haunt us.

TripleR,
My commentary was not aimed at TGF. It was rather in response to his response... In short I am painfully aware of manufacturing quotients and what specifically it takes to claim "Made in USA". I am only saying that I've watched the manufacturing sector sold out by the short sighted and greedy and it has not gone unnoticed.

I think, fwiw, that it will be a rather pathetic, if predictable, collective wail when The American People begin to gripe to their President about their various lamentations that stem from the whoring out of America. The truly pathetic part is they think a President, or succession of them, can roll back the degradation that myopia, greed, and laziness breed...

That said I'll not pick a war or words with a fellow admirer or Samuel Johnson. Lest we begin to hurl vile exhortations such as fat-wit and ninnyhammer around the genteel environs of TBN...:)

Regards, Matt Garrett.

/ USA made? #25  
TripleR,
My commentary was not aimed at TGF. It was rather in response to his response... In short I am painfully aware of manufacturing quotients and what specifically it takes to claim "Made in USA". I am only saying that I've watched the manufacturing sector sold out by the short sighted and greedy and it has not gone unnoticed.

I think, fwiw, that it will be a rather pathetic, if predictable, collective wail when The American People begin to gripe to their President about their various lamentations that stem from the whoring out of America. The truly pathetic part is they think a President, or succession of them, can roll back the degradation that myopia, greed, and laziness breed...

That said I'll not pick a war or words with a fellow admirer or Samuel Johnson. Lest we begin to hurl vile exhortations such as fat-wit and ninnyhammer around the genteel environs of TBN...:)

Regards, Matt Garrett.

I am in my sixties and too have seen all of this and you would think with my enormous influence and buying power could have put an end to it, but sadly this has not been the case.

You won't hear any vile exhortations from me; since retirement kinda out of practice:)

/ USA made? #26  
I don't take any offense at any of this. What I meant was, I will not sacrifice quality or price point just for a Made in Label which often translates to Assembled in ... using Chinese parts. Not understanding the mentality is me saying I don't understand why a person would buy an inferior product often times for more money because there is stamp or a sticker on it. I am not saying by any means USA made stuff is inferior, many of my tools are made in the USA, and all of my guns with exception of a single Russian shotgun I have.

/ USA made?
buying American made is a touchy subject to some people. for me its pretty easy, i just look for where is made. if i have a choice i pick the US made product. most times it is better made and sometimes cheaper. there are still ALOT of US made products out there but finding them is often hard since most retail stores just buy cheap products from china and mark them WAY up. its hard for them not to buy them they are so cheap. but if nobody is working consumers will not buy regardless of price...no jobs=no money. besides, if your neighbor is working he is not stealing from you. so support your local stores, farmers, neighbors...one day they may help support you. i am getting off the "soap box" now.

/ USA made? #28  
I don't take any offense at any of this. What I meant was, I will not sacrifice quality or price point just for a Made in Label which often translates to Assembled in ... using Chinese parts. Not understanding the mentality is me saying I don't understand why a person would buy an inferior product often times for more money because there is stamp or a sticker on it. I am not saying by any means USA made stuff is inferior, many of my tools are made in the USA, and all of my guns with exception of a single Russian shotgun I have.

TGF,
I will reiterate that I was responding to a message and not you in specific. As a matter of fact I agree with most, if not all, of what you said...

Off topic:
I am a Gunsmith by Trade and Schmidt Bender/Accuracy International Dealer as a day job. I specialize in high grade weapons, however, I will say this... If all of your weapons are Made in USA, and off the rack, you have already compromised on quality. You have most definitely compromised on quality with a Russian Shotgun of any ilk...

In short Bolt Guns can made in The USA, Germany, and England and qualify for "Best Guns". Darcy Echols, Hartmann & Weiss, AI, etc... Not necessarily in that order.

First class shotguns CAN be made in the USA, such as CSMC, however, they are the exception and not the rule. Best grade guns come from England/Scotland, Italy, CSMC, and the over heavy clubs from Germany(Krieghoff). Though they let out a charming Merkel on occasion.

Custom 1911s, by the best makers in the USA CAN, depending on the specimen be The Best in the World... Heinie, Vickers, etcs...

BACK ON TOPIC:

I have no leg to stand on to "preach" to you about "Made in USA". My next John Deere to be be is really a custom tractor built in Germany and painted Green and Yellow.

I work for a German Company, and know their product is superior to anything Made in USA, however, you pay twice, used to be 3 times as much for said perfection.

Snap-On the over priced tool of the grease snob has even now begun to put taiwanese parts in their 80 tooth ratchets. AND had to remove MADE IN USA from theid Dual 80 ratchets.

You ARE right buying a label is no guarantee of quality or where it was made. That said I'm not see any quality coming out of China, India, etc... It amazes me that we continue to import this junk by the mega-container ship and as fast as the Walmarter can add to his collection of junk.

I am somewhat of an elitist when it comes to what I buy and advocate. Often carrying it to extremes. I don't drink the Kool-Aid of many American Sacred Cows. Snap-On being one. Some good tools. A lot of rebadged gear at Company Store Prices. John Deere for two. Just because they are getting my next purchase comes down to a great dealer and a product they just happen to have outsourced to the Germans.

"Made in USA" becomes less and less and important everyday and our lawmakers have seen to that. There is a goodly movement afoot to make it more and more difficult to find out where your widget is assembled, and more importantly, where the parts came from... Sad.

Regards, Matt.

/ USA made? #29  
I will be offline for a while throwing most of my junk guns away:eek::eek:

/ USA made? #30  
I will be offline for a while throwing most of my junk guns away:eek::eek:

TripleR,
Series 70 Colts, Colt SAAs, Winchester Pre-53 70s, Pre-war Sporting Oberndorf Mausers, etc. I am available to make sure they land gently...(grin)

Regards, Matt.