Buying Advice Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #11  
The Harbor Freight model that goes on sale for about $175 is everywhere around here. I'd look at it first unless a good used one popped up.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #12  
Have you tried drilling a smal pilot hole (with oil) first then step it up half way to the desired dia. ? ( using oil on each progression)...

Also you might look the "Unibitts"...I drill holes over 1" dia. with a Dewalt hand held drill in up to 1/4" common steel...

If you want a drill press...check the pawn shops...most are loaded with tools...

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #13  
I bought a Cheap one at Home Depot. Not sure if its good or not but I have drilled tons of holes but never many at one time. Most in a day would probably be 25 and I would guess no more than 200 in a year. Anyway I have it set at around 150 rpm and with a set of HF bits that go upto 1", cutting oil, and a small vise and some clamps I have had great success.

I have less than $250 in the press, bits, vise, clamps, and cutting oil.

Chris

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #14  
The worst thing about a cheep drill press is the chuck, which will be worse with the smaller bits. Good HSS bits no slop in the spindle bearings and good chuck will give bests results.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #15  
   / Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #16  
   / Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #17  
I agree with the others. Cheap is cheap and good is good. You mentioned having Ryobi and DeWalt power tools. If you're happy with those you'll be happy with just about any drill press. If I were looking for a drill press at a budget price I'd be looking for a quality used piece. I'd rather have a quality 30 or 40 year old drill press than a POS new HF piece at the same price.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #18  
I agree with the others. Cheap is cheap and good is good. You mentioned having Ryobi and DeWalt power tools. If you're happy with those you'll be happy with just about any drill press. If I were looking for a drill press at a budget price I'd be looking for a quality used piece. I'd rather have a quality 30 or 40 year old drill press than a POS new HF piece at the same price.

A good one on the used market is great. The Hf 43378 is the same as the Ridgid and Craftsman. Made by Chin Shin as I recall. I have seen them in mechanic shops all over KY. I don't have one, do you? Here is what some owners say.WoodNet Forums: HF floor type drill press

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #19  
Your about a week late for posting this. I just sold a Richards Electromatic super die maker. This is a Drill press . table saw, and scroll saw all in one. it was BIG between 700 and 900 lbs. You will would be hard pressed to find something more heavy duty then this. im guessing it was new in the mid 50's.

I sold it for $150.00 cash

I would have kept it but it was too big.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #20  
some of them old tools are great.

I have a buddy with a huge table saw.. probably from 50's or early 60's.. thing is massive and has a huge table. I have a radial arm saw by craftsman from early 70's awesome machine.

soundguy