Buying Advice Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes
Ok my real problem was two things, one my speed was two high and set it to 250 rpm and I bought new drill bit "hitachi" really good it was on sale. I was able to make 1/2 " hole under and minute and I like the HF drill press.

Just wanted to update my thread

Ganesh

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #43  
Good deal smokey.

Now keep your eyes open for that old used Bridgeport. I been looking for 20 yrs but haven't found the right DEAL yet.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #44  
Good deal smokey.

Now keep your eyes open for that old used Bridgeport. I been looking for 20 yrs but haven't found the right DEAL yet.

heck with a 20 year wait. i had been looking for a good heavy used drill press for 1" and larger holes in steel. i think i gave up after about 15-18 months. ended up driving 170mi to the next state to buy a used mill/drill.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #46  
Good deal smokey.

They may not look like my 2 year old Hardinge/Bridgeport with 3 axis Newall DRO, however, there are many, many old Bridgeports out there... Going to be lash in the X and Y and will without question need a bath, however, they are out there for those with the will. Few knock on doors and beg for a home though... Been waiting on a Monarch 10EE to do that and I to have been disappointed FOR YEARS. I often run to the door only to find another Jehovah's Witness... Group sigh...:)

Regards, Matt.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #47  
keep some oil on the bit and it will last longer

soundguy

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #48  
Glad you figured out the speed thing. Go to the plumbing section and get some thread cutting oil. You can get a QT for maybe $4 and it will last a long time. Keep the bit well lubricated and go slow and you will be pleased.

By the way almost all DP I have used have you change the bets and pulleys to adjust the speed.

Remember slow and steady. Once you get the bit smoking its shot.

Chris

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #49  
mjncad,
You are likely right, however, have you seen what old belt drive Bridgeports often go for?...

There are a half dozen of them in the Boston area CL now. $1300 -2000 asking. Most look in good shape and have the two axis DPO but at least one has the 3 axis DPO

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #50  
Variable speed drill presses are out there; but they are pricey. Powermatic has floor model one for around a grand; but the thing is made in China.