Learn from my mistake

/ Learn from my mistake #1  

JRP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800
I made a mistake when I bought my tractor. I didn't get a quick hitch at the same time. Be sure to get a quick hitch at the same time. Here is what happens if you don't:

I got my tractor, then started collecting and building implements. Some I built to CAT II specifications, some to CAT I, some to no specification at all. Now I have a bunch of implements that must be reworked now that I understand how great a quick hitch is.

The hitch I chose is a Speeco sold by Tractor Supply for about $180. This is nothing compare to the cost now of reworking my implements.

The top link connection hook on Speeco has some adjustment. Pick one setting and adjust all equipment to that size. I chose 18".

If you are shopping, consider your equipment as a system. The hitch component if properly selected can make your system much easier to use.

/ Learn from my mistake #2  
I nearly went with a quick hitch system recently, but the wife told me I had to wait till next year. But yesterday afternoon in a very short period of time I had to do four implement changes the old fashioned way. Rake to blade to mower to winch. And I had to admit that all of them went very quickly, without incident, despite being on somewhat uneven ground. Seems to me that with experience comes speed and competence...and I'm no longer sure I need a quick hitch type system.

That decision would make my wife VERY happy!

Pete

/ Learn from my mistake #3  
Dont give in!!! Its a ploy from the women tractor haters club. Maybe its luck but the quickhitch will save your back someday because it keeps you from doing something stupid like lifting the implement to just ...just...just got it in.

/ Learn from my mistake #4  
Pete,

I believe you and I likely have the same bucket (66" Kubota w/non-quick release type 4 pins) on our FELs. I'm considering a loader mounted front blade/plow for snow removal. Have you ever removed the bucket from your loader (and replaced it of course)? Is it and unreasonably awkward task? I hate the idea of giving up the use of the bucket for the winter (as in front mounted blowers).

Jon

/ Learn from my mistake #5  
Jon:

I beleive they are talking about a 3pt quick hitch for hooking up implements.

/ Learn from my mistake #6  
Pete, you will still like it. Even if your good at putting the implements on. It took me 7 years to break down and try the Speeco. I never had a real problem putting the implements on but on those hot, humid days when I was tired I wished I had one. Now it's a peice of cake all the time!! And my back doesn't take a beating anymore.

/ Learn from my mistake #7  
FYI, John Deere is pushing the issue with the I-Match and uses the industry published vertical spacing of 15" for a Cat 1 implement. I would imagine in the future any manufacturer wanting to be quick hitch compatible will use that spacing as well.

/ Learn from my mistake #8  
Jim, does First Choice make a quick hitch?

/ Learn from my mistake #9  
Yup, it's the same bucket. I've never taken my bucket off, and while I'd really like a front mount plow I use the bucket extensively in winter to sculpt my bobsled run. Those wicked high banked turns require a LOT of snow!

Pete