Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n?

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #1  

txibis

By comparable I mean in price and available of parts.

We have the usual problems, money anemia and tractor deprivation. The prices and selection of 8n tractors here (NE TX) and the power seems in line with what we're looking for however we would really like a diesel. Are there a few models of high production quantity tractors that are inexpensive and have the availability of parts of the 8n? The horsepower of the 8n is on the bottom end of what we want. The biggest problem when looking for tractors on craigslist, etc. is there are so many choices it is difficult to research brands and parts availability. If we could filter it down to 3-4 models it would greatly simplify our search. On the high end we would like to keep the purchase price under $3K for the tractor.

Good day

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #2  
There is a lot of scams and vultures on Craigs-list, that try to sell phantom tractors too!
I would be extremely careful there!

I have an old '39 Ford 9N that I have had for 28 years now, that hasn't been in service because bad valves/low compression! The cost of rebuilding isn't in my budget yet, and would cost more than it's presently worth, unless someday I make it into a show/parade tractor? A comparable 2WD '70's Kubota with 25 HP, might fit your budget?

If you up your budget maybe a couple of thousand, look for diesel in the same hp. range as the 8N/9N, you maybe able to find a comparable diesel vintage range, I think somewhere in 70's? I have seven tractors in my fleet consisting of the three major brands Ford-Kubota-JD. (This is for info only on reliability/parts availability.)

The most trouble free have been the Kubotas, with my vintage starting in '78 with a L295DT; that has been trouble free. The diesel JD/Ford's of the year 2000>generation have a problem with varmints getting into the wiring for lunch, which can be pricey for repairs!

The front page of this forum has sites that sell used tractors on consignment nation wide with prices/ info. I think it's Tractorhouse.com. It will give you market value maybe in your search, and maybe your price range too?

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #3  
A ford SuperDexta is the closest thing to a diesel 8N in a ford. It had a 3 cylinder perkins....But an old 35 ferguson with a diesel is absolutely the closest thing made. Quite a few common designs...Both excellent tractors. I give the Super Dexta (not regular Dexta) the thumbs way up...power, simplicity, maneuverability...just watch that two blade fan on a hot day and hard pull....

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #4  
3,000 dollars isn't going to buy you a whole lot of tractor if you are looking at a diesel. Maybe I want too much out of a tractor, the small ones are fine if that will suit your needs but to me, I'd much rather have an older heavier machine. Let me explain my thoughts.

I was potty trained on a old Ferguson TO-35, compares to an 8N. It was an older workhorse. Tough as an anvil. Heavy enough to do somewhat heavy work. The TO35 is a 22 HP tractor, has a high/low rear end, 2 stage clutch. So most of my experiences were with that. I later had a buddy that had a 70 HP Belarus that he let me keep for weeks at a time, another HEAVY work horse. My FIL had a TO-35 I used a lot, still a work horse. I wanted to buy a tractor, found a TO-35 that supposedly had a fresh rebuilt engine. Was raining when I went to check it out, bought it. Got it home, oil was coming out of the exhaust in 1 hr, no 2 stage clutch, took it back, refunded my money. In desperation to buy a tractor fast, I bought a YM 2200 for 3K. It is a good tractor for what it is but it will not hold a candle to a TO-35 or an 8N for that matter. It is great with a tiller or for doing anything a tractor is designed to do like cultivating or light work. But I do not like it compared to the old american iron I was used to.

I was pulling out small dead stumps that had rotted for 5 yrs with it, using a 4 tooth sub soiler. Was cruising along, see a stump, would drop the subsoiler and rip it out, raise the subsoiler and look for the next one. Worked great til I grabbed one that was tough. Stopped the Yanmar in its tracks. But the heavy plastic fan didn't stop, wringing off the small water pump shaft and going through the radiator. Cost about 400.00 to repair water pump and radiator. I said then it was a mickey mouse tractor compared to the old Fergusons.

I later got a TO35 and love it, but I kept the Yanmar also, it does have its uses, but not near as versatile as the 35. I call my Ferguson the old red mule.

I was covering a drain field for a neighbor with the Yanmar, the 35 had the starter off. I got stuck 3 times in an hour and was sort of tip toeing around the job trying to not get stuck. I finally told him if he would come help me pull off the old red mule we would get some work done. Starter was not even on it but it started easy and instead of tip toeing, I started going up one side of the pile of dirt, dropping the box blade, coming off the other side loaded and in an hour I was finished covering the drain AND leveling off about 30 yards of dirt. Never got stuck and went straight through the places I was avoiding with the Yanmar. I was riding in a circle never slowing down except to climb on top of the pile.

Using a boom pole the Ferguson is heavier, will pick up or pull a lot more weight than the Yanmar. Will move a heavier load on a trailer also. It's just a heavier tractor and will do heavier work.

I am not brand bashing, Yanmar is a fine tractor and they do build one that will compare to the TO-35 or 8N, but you won't buy it for 3000 dollars.

If you want 1 tractor to do versatile work, get the 8N or something similiar.

Another thought, Harry Ferguson invented the "floating" 3ph. He wasn't building tractors then so he went to Henry Ford and they started building Ford tractors with his 3ph, called "the ferguson system". Some Fords have a badge that says this on the hood. They later got into a dispute and parted company, he then started building Ferguson tractors, later merging with Massey Harris to become the Massey Ferguson tractor. Enough on history. The small cheaper diesel tractors do not have the floating 3ph, my Yanmar doesn't, the Belarus didn't. When using a scrape blade or box blade I can do a lot smoother and professional job with the TO-35 than with the Yanmar due to its floating hitch. I had a tractor salvage dealer to tell me the floating hitch didn't work properly, he was an old Farmall collector, a fan of neither the Fords or Fergusons. I will argue with anybody about whether they work or not, I have both and can tell the difference.

If you got plenty of $$$$, you can find you one of those orange tractors or green tractors that will do you a good job, but in the 3000 dollar range, an old Ford or Ferguson will buy you a lot more tractor. Was at a general mdse auction a month or so back and they sold a 8N Ford for $1200, needed paint, but was a working ready to go tractor. Where were the deals when I needed a tractor.

If you plan on doing bush hog work, from my experience, a 2 stage clutch is a MUST have and the 2 speed rear is nice to have. If you don't have a 2 stage clutch, you can use a clutch override adaptor, but you still have problems scraping gears when shifting. Not sure on this but the cheaper diesels do not have 2 stage clutches. My Yanmar or my buddys 650 JD built by Yanmar doesn't have it.

If you told me I HAD to sell one of my tractors and just keep one, the old mule isn't going anywhere and I'd have a Yanmar for sale.

Now all you guys out there with the small CUTS, don't think I am bashing your tractor, it is what it is, but it's a long shot from being an old Ferguson.

To Each His Own, buy what you can afford, figure out how to get good use out of what you got.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #5  
TXibis, there really is no "diesel" 8n equivalent in the tractor world.

The closest thing you can find would be an older MF 35/135 or MF 240 series, etc. Taking a quick scan of East Texas Craig's List listings, these are some that would fall into your area of interest:

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/1806610224.html.......more money, but, looking real good

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/1806464849.html........closer to what you want $$$, diesel, dealer support

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/1801959768.html........again, dealer support...diesel....low hours......size you seem to want

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/1800936364.html........rough, but, closer to the dollars you're talking

Etc. You want an 8n/MF TO................buy one. You want a little more? This is what you're looking at and they ain't bad at all. Like the little industrial Case above quite a bit.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #6  
I second the motion that a Perkins-equipped Massey Ferguson 35 is the right 8N to own. One has served me well at the farm for the last six years. A newer alternative might come up, though, the TAFE 35DI. This is the Indian knock-off of the 35: MF licensed the castings and engine design to TAFE in 1961 and they've been quietly building them ever since.

I bought a 1995 last winter, partly because of the cab. First time at the service station the owner walked out to the TAFE and announced in broken English: "Very strong tractor. Excellent for agriculture." TAFE is the second largest tractor company in India, and the world's most profitable.

This tractor does everything the Massey 35 does, only better. Power steering is great. Over 13 hours of bush hogging relatively light stuff, it burned 2.4 litres per hour. The Massey uses about 4 per hour.

Some of these tractors are available cheaply, and are worth consideration.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n?
Thank you everyone for the responses so far, the MF 35 diesels are plentiful enough it seems I could locate one within a reasonable distance of my place. Now I just need to keep saving to get to that price range, seems to be in the low $4K. Doesn't look like I'll be able to afford it this summer.

If anyone can think of another alternative in that price range please let me know.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #8  
If you want about the size of an 8n.. but more power.. get an 841, 851, or 861 D ( or a 4000 4 cyl D. ( you might find a rowcrop 901 or 4000 series D with narrow or wide front as well ). Ford had diesels from 59+ there are also smaller diesels int he 601 series and 2000 4 cyl.. however those 144ci diesels have less parts availability than the later 172ci diesels I mentioned. You should be able to find these machines in the 3000$ range. the *4* models are 4 spd, non live pto, *5* is 5 spd, non live pto, and *6* is 5 spd with 2 stage clutch and live pto. All fords 53+ had live hyds. Try to avoid any *71 or *81 models as they are SOS trannies with a 10 spd powershift.. the trannies can get expensive to repair and have VERY $limited$ parts support. You can also look to 65+ models and find a 2000 or 3000 diesel.. but you will be pushing the 3000$ limit.. might find a 2000 3 cyl int he 3000$ range. though probably will be a plane 4 spd with non live pto and manual steering.. though it will still do a hard days work.. etc.

soundguy

By comparable I mean in price and available of parts.

We have the usual problems, money anemia and tractor deprivation. The prices and selection of 8n tractors here (NE TX) and the power seems in line with what we're looking for however we would really like a diesel. Are there a few models of high production quantity tractors that are inexpensive and have the availability of parts of the 8n? The horsepower of the 8n is on the bottom end of what we want. The biggest problem when looking for tractors on craigslist, etc. is there are so many choices it is difficult to research brands and parts availability. If we could filter it down to 3-4 models it would greatly simplify our search. On the high end we would like to keep the purchase price under $3K for the tractor.

Good day

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #9  
I'll toss in the Deere 790/3005...the NH TC-30 too, BTW.
Like the 8N, both are simple, robust and reliable machines and meet the intent and spirit of the old Fords.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #10  
can't get any of them for 3000$ though.. ( nice tractors though.. )

soundguy