mahindra

/ mahindra #1  

ebeacham

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM 723
I am looking for a tractor to take care of/farm some land of mine. It is @ 6.5 acres with some very wet areas. I think it would be wise to get a 4X4. I am looking at Mahindra because the price is right. I was wondering if anyone out there has purchased a package deal ( tractor,trailer,bush hog,box blade etc ) with a Mahindra 4110 w/ a loader and what they paid for it.
Will 41 HP pull a disc?
Thanks,
Eric

/ mahindra #2  
I didn't purchase a Mahindra 4110, but came close. Adding up what you are looking for (tractor w/FEL, box blade, bushhog, trailer) based on prices quoted to me by a Mahindra dealer, I came up with $19,500. That would be a reasonable ballpark figure, and you might do better as a "package deal", because all of the prices I got were for standalone purchases.

I think that the 4110 would definately be big enough for your needs (are you going to use it anywhere besides your 6.5 acres?). I would probably consider a smaller Mahindra if price is a big factor. I know they have two smaller 4wd models (like a 2810 and 3610 or something like that). I really liked the Mahindra that I drove, but elected to go with a Kioti, which is a very similar tractor (the 4110 uses a Kioti engine, the same that is in a DK40). I don't think that you will be disappointed with a Mahindra. Good luck on your tractor hunt.

Take it Easy

Tim Gray

/ mahindra #3  
I can't help with the 4110, but for comparative purposes, I gave $14,450 for a 2810 (28 hp) with FEL, Modern BB and Modern 5' BH - I didn't need the trailer. I've got 5 acres that I keep up (mowing and clearing trees) and 800 ft of gravel drive.

Another TBN memeber, Ranchman, purchased a 4110 earlier this year - hopefully he will respond to your post. I think he's got 200 + acres so I'm sure he's tested the capabilities.

/ mahindra #4  
Howdy ebeacham -

Pricing all depends on the dealer and the products - e.g. apples to apples. Comparing a "package" deal that has a Howse cutter vs. a Bush Hog cutter is going to yield a significant price difference, for example. I also found as much as a $2000+ price difference for the tractor alone between dealers, so it pays to shop around for sure!

I know that sounds like a bit "wishy - washy", but it's true. As far as a 4110, the best price I found (earlier this year) was $14,250 for the tractor. Choose your flavor of attachments and add up from there. Since I purchased my tractor, all the web sites that had been publishing prices have stopped and all say "Call for Price." Not sure if Mahindra corporate has asked them to do this or if it is just a few folks, but basically it means you'll have to "dig" a little more for the "best price."

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=genbuy&Number=107328&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>This Link</A> is one that I posted when trying to pick what brand to go with - hopefully it'll give you some useful data points to consider.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=other&Number=157371&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>This Link</A> is a Kioti vs. Mahindra thread, where I post several other links about a third of the way down.

Hopefully all this "light reading" /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif will help give you a bit more insight in to my experiences (and other folks' too). (As far as pulling a disk, haven't done it myself yet, but I see no reason why any compact tractor in the 40 Hp range couldn't, assuming it isn't a monster made for a much larger machine.)

If you still have questions or want more info, don't hesitate to post again - I'll try and respond as best I can (along with other good folks here too.)

/ mahindra
Thanks,
I will consider a 3510 but I would like to dig a pond eventually
and I do have other property to work on. I may even do bush hogging for hire. For a couple of extra grand I would be inclined to get the extra ponies.
Thanks again,
Eric

/ mahindra
Thanks,
I am going up to Goldsboro NC to my nearest Mahindra dealer to look at a few models. Is buying a tractor like buying a car? Can you haggle over price? Is there a good time of year to buy a tractor?
Thanks,
Eric

/ mahindra #7  
<font color=blue>Is buying a tractor like buying a car? Can you haggle over price? </font color=blue>

Yes. You can haggle, or try to. Some guys will go down, some will "hold fast." Just depends on the dealer. All goes with the type of selling model they are after (e.g. high volume, low margin vs. low volume, high margin) I got a couple of dealers to go down a little in price, but not as significant as I required (they were the LV/HM types). I wound up buying from a HV/LM dealer and was VERY happy with the service, although I had to drive a bit to get it. (and they dropped the price further when I showed up after talking to them on the phone - maybe he felt sorry for making me go on a "long drive." /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

<font color=blue>Is there a good time of year to buy a tractor?</font color=blue>

IMO, Yes. Winter seems to be the best as the dealers just don't seem to have the volume of sales, hence they may be more willing to "deal." Spring is probably the worst, I'd think, as everybody is wanting to get that "new tractor" for the grass that has turned from brown to green. (kindof like Boats & Jeeps - Sell them in the Spring to get a good price, Buy them in Winter to get a good deal.)

/ mahindra #8  
<font color=blue>I will consider a 3510 but I would like to dig a pond eventually</font color=blue>

Just a quick note Eric,
Don't buy any tractor thinking you'll be able to dig a pond with it. (unless it's a verrrry small pond) It's true, you can do it, but it'll be like emptying a dump truck with a teaspoon.

Dave

/ mahindra #9  
I'll second that. Pond construction is dozer/track loader work if you want to complete it in this lifetime. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ mahindra
Well Tomorrow I am going up to see if I can strike a deal for the tractor. If all goes well I will be able put in some "real" input to the forum
Eric