NAPA?pricing

/ NAPA?pricing #41  
The guy that posted 38.00 a gallon reduced to 26.00?, they saw you coming. Always buy your heavy lubricants in 5 gallon size. It may cost more for the big bucket but if you look at it by the gallon it is so much cheaper.
1) If I had a use for 5 gallons! I had had a seal replaced in the front axle and the shop apparently didn't top it up, or more likely didn't check it again after it settled. It was down a half pint or so. I would have bought the quart if NAPA had one.

2) Any place that 'sees me coming' won't ever see me again. In this case I learned that Advance Auto was another half mile beyond. If I need something in that neighborhood again, I'll drive past the $38 NAPA store to buy the $11.99 no-hassle version.

/ NAPA?pricing #42  
Our hometown NAPA stores are similar to what has been described by others in this thread (the negative reviews, anyway). They have many tiers of pricing, and I always end up with the highest one. The only times I ever go to either of our local NAPAs are when I absolutely, positively don't have the time to drive the extra 11 miles to Autozone or O'Reilly. When I tried to change the filters on my old Case dozer, I thought I would get the filters at NAPA because they (generally) have more in the way of filters for tractors and heavy equipment. I brought all the filter numbers (oil, 2 fuel and hydraulic) with me. They had one fuel filter. I also needed about 6 feet of fuel line. They had about a 2 feet.

I discovered the the OReilly carries Wix filters, so I called them and they had all of them but the hydraulic filter, and they could have it the next day, at prices lower than what NAPA had quoted me. Lots of other times, NAPA could "get" what I needed, but they didn't stock it. Autozone seems to always have what I need (starter for 96 Rodeo, water pump for 83 Nissan truck, both in stock on the same Saturday morning!). I'm not saying that I'll never shop at NAPA, but it is a choice of last resort for me.

I don't know if NAPAs parts are any better quality. I've not had any problems with the parts I buy from Autozone. I did have the replace the aforementioned starter (I swapped the original out in 2002, and then replaced it again in 2008). However, the second time I swapped it, the part was "free" because it featured a lifetime warranty, so all I was out was my time (and aggravation). If the Rodeo is still kickin' in 2014, I bet I'll end up replacing it again!

Not
Any
Parts
Available

Hee-hee.

Take care.

/ NAPA?pricing #43  
:mur: The problem is This standard is a figment of your imagination.

Clipped for brevity only. Yea, you're right, that whole design , patent and manufacturing thing is only in my mind. Anyone with a drill press, hacksaw and chunk of some kind of metal can make car parts.

In the words of Chef Gordon Ramsay "P--- Off".

/ NAPA?pricing #44  
Anyone with a drill press, hacksaw and chunk of some kind of metal can make car parts.

In the words of Chef Gordon Ramsay "P--- Off".

Thank you, for helping make my point. That's what I have been trying to tell you, that's why there is so much junk out there.

4. Anyone with a drill press, hacksaw, and chunk of some kind of metal, can make parts.

I like, "Take your jacket off, and get out!" better. :thumbsup:

/ NAPA?pricing #45  
My local NAPA is a franchise,they just opened a second location. They are fairly new and depend heavily on the warehouse. I am ok with them and buy my oil,antifreeze, other stuff too. I however will go north 30 to 45 minutes away to two older NAPA stores,that owner has been around for years and his shelves are loaded with brake shoes,drums for big trucks. I avoid NAPA for alternators,starters[had bad experiences] . I buy Delco at Federated for starters,alternators. The nickname for NAPA here is Never Any Parts Available. There is also a new Advance Auto Parts that impresses me. plowking

Last edited: