NAPA?pricing

/ NAPA?pricing #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member
I had the pleasure today of replacing a couple of wheel bearings. I bought one form my usual small parts company and installed one, then decided to do the other one. I thought Id try Napa and see if they had it in stock.
I tried the website too as I have used the Auto Zone one for some time with great luck.
I searched the part and there it was 48 dollars, (I had paid couple dollars more locally).
I Picked up the phone and called them with the part number, and they had the part . price $78.45.:confused2:
I asked why the difference he said he had no idea. I said well there are better bearings on the site , up in that price range and he asked who it was for.
Lil
I guess I could have said some fancy garage name but It was obvious they don't need customers.I emailed the NAPA corp and got this reply

Most of our stores are privately owned so they can
charge what they want around red book prices.
You're guaranteed the lowest prices and shipping
cost when you shop on line. We do this as a service
but our prices will soon match the store's prices to resolve
any confusion concerning NAPA pricing.

Didn't answer my question at all. I went to my usual place got the bearing cheaper and easier. And I think they liked my business i know people will say don't shop there and I wont. But I will add this to yet another arrogant disregard for customer. .There are 5 other company in town..and not to mention the net...

/ NAPA?pricing #2  
This appears to be a very simple message....Shop around for the best price.

This has been going on for many many years, correct.??

/ NAPA?pricing #3  
To me, NAPA is only good for last resort.
If you have the time, comparative shopping online can save a bundle.
It is cheaper for me to pay reasonable shipping charges than to buy the gas to drive to town.

/ NAPA?pricing #5  
My guess is that the counterman quoted you list price instead of net. List has about a 40% margin built in. I have a customer that this happened to last week. He went into the local Napa store to get an air filter for his 545, the counterman told him it would be $120. Then he gave him his buddies business name, and that knocked the price down to about $60, nobody pays list, whether you have an account or not. I'm a Napa master installer and get an even better price, my price is about 30% off of napaonline prices.

Brian

/ NAPA?pricing #6  
My guess is that the counterman quoted you list price instead of net. List has about a 40% margin built in. I have a customer that this happened to last week. He went into the local Napa store to get an air filter for his 545, the counterman told him it would be $120. Then he gave him his buddies business name, and that knocked the price down to about $60, nobody pays list, whether you have an account or not. I'm a Napa master installer and get an even better price, my price is about 30% off of napaonline prices.

Brian

If nobody pays list, did the counterman make a mistake by quoting $120?

I have a NAPA store where I live and go there when I need something right away and all other stores didn't have what I was looking for. They are expensive.

/ NAPA?pricing #7  
Guess I'm lucky, brother-in-law is a commerical account manager at a local NAPA store. I get a huge discount (not five finger either).

mark

/ NAPA?pricing #8  
got to love the department store of parts....

Ill sell you this $10,000 part for 99% off! look its ONLY $100 today only! BUT YOU GET 99% OFF!!!!!!!

Meanwhile the none inflated price for the part anyplace else is $50.

Napa parts and new car sales are the worst!

/ NAPA?pricing
My point what good is it to have on line look up and then pick up at the store if they don't honor the prices when you get to the store.
Auto Zone I find it and the price. and print it out. and thats it. None of this game playing stuff.If they want to play games to make someone feel like a better customer then so be it.
I know not to pick up any parts while I'm going to a funeral, You have to be all greased up for the discount.
Yes this has gone on for years. doesn't make it right..
I can understand if you do x amount of business with a company you'll get a better discount. but to not try and cut anything off it for a fairly off and on customer isn't gonna make me switch. As I said they have their group. and survive. Perhaps they could do better perhaps they wont...But chances are they will never know how many customers they could have attracted.

/ NAPA?pricing #10  
I had worked in the auto parts business for fifteen years, seven at a NAPA store. I can tell you that there are at least five levels of pricing in most lines. In some cases, as in fleet pricing, the coustomer pays less than than the store does from the warehouse. The store then gets a pay back from NAPA. I do agree that NAPA parts cost more, but I always felt that they had the best quality in the market. In some cases it might not make much difference, but if I need "important" parts for my $34K tractor, as in wheel bearings, I don't want cheep imported junk. I do feel that if a store advertises a price to the gereral public they should honor it when you walk in the door without question.