Tractor Sizing Are SCUT really Tractors

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #42  
Nobody has answered yet where you draw the line between CUT and SCUT.

Heck, what is the requirements / definition for either?

So it goes:

- lawn tractor
- scut
- cut
- ??

I'm just trying to get the categories straight to put it in perspective. Previous posters hit it on the head. If it is gear driven, has hydraulics and a PTO it is much more like a "tractor" than a lawn mower.

OK....I'll give this a shot. :D IMO...what differentiates a SCUT from a CUT is that a SCUT has "undersize" 3point hitch dimensions and may not operate "standard" 3 point implements. Thus you have a special assortment of implements for SCUT's...which are typically the 4 footers. Most CUT's operate normal cat 1 implements.

Think of a SCUT as the sub-compact models.

And to complete your size "list".....its LGT, SCUT, CUT, Utility Tractor

OH....and LGT's, if they have a 3pt hitch, are typically cat 0.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #43  
something to think about ... my atv can draw a disk, can be outfitted with a 3ph ... but it isn't a tractor per se. Not in the strictest sense ... Big thing is it just doesn't have the low speed torque to really work the ground well. I can drag my disk at its most aggressive with another 100lbs of weight (450lbs total) at 20mph easy ... **** itll bounce around like its not even back there ... but at 5mph it gets hot something fierce ...

now take the same disk and put it on my 17.5hp ride on mower ... and itll hardly move ... is the mower a tractor ? not quite ... even if it is marketed as a "lawn tractor" ...

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #44  
that 'lawn tractor' designation gets me ... I gues it sounds better than rider mower.. :)

soundguy

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #45  
while it will pull a dethatcher/roller/vac/broom ... its not exactly built for traction which is arguably one of the defining characteristics of a tractor

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #46  
This is like asking what is the difference between a Ship and a Boat (you can put a boat on a ship, but you can't put a ship on a boat).

Anyway, SCUTs are, IMHO, tractors as they serve all functions of a utility tractor (matter of degree, not functionality).

Roy, all submarines are refered to as boats, the Trident class weighs only 18,000 tons submerged and is about 580 ft long. I would love to see the ship that could handle that! Just because something is named a certain item does not mean it is what we want it to be!;)

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #47  
The way I classify a tractor is if it is coupled together by bolting the motor to the transmission and then to the rear end, it transfers it's power with gears or shaft and has no V belt in the system of power transfer, then it is a tractor. If it transfers power by a V belt, then it is a lawn mower.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #48  
So what is the different in size/hp between a SCUT, CUT, UT, and the really big stuff?

As far as ship/boat goes, I think that one has changed with the times, I think the civilian definition of ship is 500 tons displacement or more. Anything else is a boat. In old days it was based on the number of masts.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #49  
Roy, all submarines are refereed to as boats, the Trident class weighs only 18,000 tons submerged and is about 580 ft long. I would love to see the ship that could handle that! Just because something is named a certain item does not mean it is what we want it to be!;)

Referred to (as a colloquialism) is one thing, but I think you'll find them classified as ships (to NAVSHIPS or whatever the current authority is called).

As far as ship/boat goes, I think that one has changed with the times, I think the civilian definition of ship is 500 tons displacement or more. Anything else is a boat. In old days it was based on the number of masts.

I doubt you find a clearcut definition. Like many things nautical, definitions of ships and boats are somewhat ambiguous.

Back to the topic...
Guys, SubCUTs are as much tractor as that huge machine you see in a Nebraska cornfield...they perform the same types of functions. The only difference is the capacities.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #50  
I never saw much reason for definitions like CUT and SCUT, but I believe the T refers to
Tractor..