Tractor Sizing Are SCUT really Tractors

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #51  
Obviously yes, as are lawn tractors. Look up the defination if a tractor Guys!

Andy

PS My tractors range from 600 pounds to over 10,000 pounds and they are all tractors. I've been using tractors of all sizes for over 50 years and the above is my concerted opinion as an engineer. :)

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #52  
I never saw much reason for definitions like CUT and SCUT, but I believe the T refers to
Tractor..

Very good reason--- frame size breaks and hitch catagories

Andy

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #53  
When my Kubota sits in my yard it is a "little tractor". When it was at the dealer with turf tires and parked beside some serious agricultural machinery It was "that lawnmower over there". :) It's all relative to me.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #54  
The way I classify a tractor is if it is coupled together by bolting the motor to the transmission and then to the rear end, it transfers it's power with gears or shaft and has no V belt in the system of power transfer, then it is a tractor. If it transfers power by a V belt, then it is a lawn mower.
This makes a lot of sense to me, and it eliminates the size issue.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #56  
The way I classify a tractor is if it is coupled together by bolting the motor to the transmission and then to the rear end, it transfers it's power with gears or shaft and has no V belt in the system of power transfer, then it is a tractor. If it transfers power by a V belt, then it is a lawn mower.

I'll go with this explanation as well...

CUT's seem to me to be the 28-35/40 hp SCUT's are 20-28 HP (Newer models and diesel, once you get into the old stuff, all bets are off).....There are obvious size differences between the two. Just my observation given that there are AG's, CUT's and SCUT's everywhere around here.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #58  
This question was brought up in another thread but I wanted to get everyones take regardless of what brand or size tractor you own. The question of the day is; Is a sub-compact tractory just a glorified lawn mower or is it truly a tractor? My take and experience says it is that they are true tractors-just smaller in size-like a mini me.

And what a bunch of strangers think matters because....?

Does the machine do what you need done?
Do you like it?
Nothing else matters.

Ford Tractor

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #59  
And what a bunch of strangers think matters because....?

Does the machine do what you need done?
Do you like it?
Nothing else matters.

Ford Tractor

You nailed it:D

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #60  
If you don't call them a tractor, what would you call them?
I get the lawn mower being called a lawn mower. but a cut, scut, ag, crawler, whatever: they are tractors, right?:confused2: