Tractor Sizing Are SCUT really Tractors

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #61  
If you don't call them a tractor, what would you call them?
I get the lawn mower being called a lawn mower. but a cut, scut, ag, crawler, whatever: they are tractors, right?:confused2:

SMUT small multipurpose utility tool
SHUT small handy utility tool
FART fun and recreation tool

There are many things to call them :)

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #62  
Cars are for driving, SCUTs are for utilty work, Lawnmowers are for cutting grass. The size really doesn't matter.

Attachments

• The Fleet.JPG
    The Fleet.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 110
   / Are SCUT really Tractors #63  
According to Massey, and my insurance company, the SCUT is reckognized as a farm tractor.

Don

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #64  
guess we could call then a vessle ?

:)

soundguy

Referred to (as a colloquialism) is one thing, but I think you'll find them classified as ships (to NAVSHIPS or whatever the current authority is called).

I doubt you find a clearcut definition. Like many things nautical, definitions of ships and boats are somewhat ambiguous.

Back to the topic...
Guys, SubCUTs are as much tractor as that huge machine you see in a Nebraska cornfield...they perform the same types of functions. The only difference is the capacities.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #65  
If you don't call them a tractor, what would you call them?
I get the lawn mower being called a lawn mower. but a cut, scut, ag, crawler, whatever: they are tractors, right?:confused2:

you will also hear dozers and some other heavy equipment refered to as a tractor.. especially on units that pull another unit.. kinda like 'semi' tractor / traielr issue.. i would think.. etc.

soundguy

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #66  
you will also hear dozers and some other heavy equipment refered to as a tractor.. especially on units that pull another unit.. kinda like 'semi' tractor / traielr issue.. i would think.. etc.

soundguy

I drive a Freightliner,(at work) it's called a "tractor":)

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #67  

soundguy

With this said, I've heard of log skidders being called tractors as well.:confused2:

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #68  
for some reason we seem to love to categorize things. i'm not sure whether that's because we want it to be different, or to make it look better than something else, or what. i remember when we used to cut the grass with a lawn tractor, but now that is a lawn mower, which is not to be confused with a tractor, which has to be bigger, by definition. gravely tractors are neither tractor or mower, or scut, or cut, or any other acronym by today's naming conventions, but 20 years ago tractor was a fine term for them.

the same thing happened with cars and trucks. full size, midsize, compact, and then sub-compact... by the way, i recently saw this tiny thing that resembled a car, so i looked it up when i got home. it's a smart fortwo. it sure looks like a car, only smaller. does this mean we now have a sub-sub-compact class? and when we buy an f450 or 550, is that like going to mcdonald's and supersizing it?

but back to tractors... the older john deere 4xx series from the 80's had a loader option and we had a 318 with ag tires, 3ph, and a rear pto rototiller. they're no larger than today's mowers, but i guess they would be scut's now? scut's and cut's can have mid mount mowers, so wouldn't that mean that they aren't tractors, but just overgrown lawn mowers? in my mind, they're all tractors if they do some sort of yard or farm work, the only difference is what attachments you can get for them.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #69  
Cars are for driving, SCUTs are for utilty work, Lawnmowers are for cutting grass. The size really doesn't matter.

Now you've really done it, are Smart Cars really cars? Have to start a new thread for that one.:D I'd like to have one if they'd bring the European models here, they're diesel so maybe we could call it a Smart Tractor.:laughing:

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #70  
My BIL lives in the city, and owns a 1/2 acre lot. we stopped over for a beer, and he took me out to the garage to show me his tractor. A JD mower he bought from the lumber store. He even mentioned that when the weather gets real bad, he has a snow blower attachment. :laughing: I suppose it depends on what your perspective is. I grew up on a farm using 40-60 hp tractors and thought we were farmers. Then I worked on a big dairy farm for a summer and realized how small our equipment was... No Comments!! :eek: