Tractor Sizing Are SCUT really Tractors

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #71  
Same here.. guy I worked with heard me talking about my 'tractors' and mentioned he had just went down to lowes to get a lawn tractor.. :)

soundguy

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #72  
How about if we look at this from a different angle. What HP was the model "A" or "B" John Deere and the "C" & "H" Farmalls? They where in the same range as the SCUT's today and where never considered anything but a farm tractor.

I also vote small utily tractor since to me lawn mowers don't have 3PH and FEL options.

Roy

It's true, My Farmall Super A is a mere 16 Hp, and there are many 25 hp SCUTs on the market... but it seems to me that the hp rating system has changed. The Super A can pull a small chisel plow or 8' disk, run a small hay baler, or hill potatoes all day without too much trouble. I used a friend's Kubota (22 hp) to rototill (50" tiller) a few acres and it seemed like I was stopping frequently for the machine to cool down.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #73  
i'd never knock someone else's tractor, no matter how small or lightweight it was. no matter what it is, it's probably better than whatever we had at some point.

i've got a jd770 and a woods 7500 backhoe with a 16" bucket. i've had a few people comment that machines that size are nothing more than "toys". i guess that's a valid comment if you have access to excavators, but i always chuckle when those same people spend weeks with a spade and pick axe to do something i could do before lunch. last year i pulled a couple dozen pine stumps out to enlarge my lawn. the bulk of the stumps were 24" or larger butts, but if i went out a few feet around the stump, i could break the roots off and eventually roll the stumps out of the hole. i couldn't lift them with the bucket or backhoe, but i could roll them out and pile them up at least. some of the stumps came out in 15 minutes, and a few took a couple hours each, but grab your spade, pick axe, and other hand implements of destruction and tell me how well those toys work.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #74  
Names have a lot to do with marketing of products- and not much else.

All are tractors, traction units or power plants. Each designed for a task or tasks of providing power for certain functions.

It does not matter what the drive system is- My old 20 HP Bolens was a HST with a v-belt PTO turning a shaft for the mower/tiller/snowblower.

My B7510 is geared, has a hydraulic pump and PTO......each for certain tasks- as each of (your) tractors have different attributes that lead to our purchase decision.

I would tend to leave it that in the "utility tractor" is a class and descriptions- Standard, Compact and Subcompact just refer to the size of the frame they operate on.

Lawn and Garden tractors are a class of tractors with different frame characteristics and ability.

You can have a variety of physical power plants, transmissions and power take off designs in just about any class of tractor.

Although I do lean toward the idea that to be a tractor, it should be following some type of industry standard, and not exclusive designs only to be used on its own brand.

Sorry to ramble...all IMHO.....probably $.035 worth:laughing:

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #75  
Now you've really done it, are Smart Cars really cars? Have to start a new thread for that one.:D I'd like to have one if they'd bring the European models here, they're diesel so maybe we could call it a Smart Tractor.:laughing:
Actually it is. 799cc turbo diesel putting out a whopping 40hp. My wife said she would start wearing red&black if I paid as much attention to her :laughing:

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #76  
I dunno, maybe put a 6'4" guy around 280# on a group of tractors, and when the smiles go away you have a tractor? Just kidding, of course, but it did irritate me a bit when I got smiles while doing some real work with my BX22, and I'm a little smaller than that.... though not much. Work is as work does, and small "tractors" will sure do a lot!

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #77  
I am new to tractor, period.
I am not a Farm Boy but not a City Guys.
I went to the Kioti/Yanmar Tractor Sales, Local NH, and looked at the smaller rigs and settled on a Yanmar SX2450 and I can稚 see calling this little small power anything but a Tractor.
Just test driving one of these, picking up a load in the FEL and using the Box Blade on a patch of land they had out back, wow, I was impressed.
I started out looking at the CUTs, JD3320 and similar units but this SCUT 2450 is NICE and as someone stated it fits my Work Area, my purpose(s) and didn稚 cost as much as the CUT, which was nice too.

Thanks for listening to a Newbie.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #78  
You are what we call NUTS (new user tractor syndrome):thumbsup:

I am new to tractor, period.
I am not a Farm Boy but not a City Guys.
I went to the Kioti/Yanmar Tractor Sales, Local NH, and looked at the smaller rigs and settled on a Yanmar SX2450 and I can稚 see calling this little small power anything but a Tractor.
Just test driving one of these, picking up a load in the FEL and using the Box Blade on a patch of land they had out back, wow, I was impressed.
I started out looking at the CUTs, JD3320 and similar units but this SCUT 2450 is NICE and as someone stated it fits my Work Area, my purpose(s) and didn稚 cost as much as the CUT, which was nice too.

Thanks for listening to a Newbie.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #79  
You are what we call NUTS (new user tractor syndrome):thumbsup:

Funny, ha, ha, but the wife says the same thing

I tend to get more involved than I should but I want something that is right

Thanks though always need someone to put you in your place.