Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    MF GC2410

Default Are SCUT really Tractors

This question was brought up in another thread but I wanted to get everyones take regardless of what brand or size tractor you own. The question of the day is; Is a sub-compact tractory just a glorified lawn mower or is it truly a tractor? My take and experience says it is that they are true tractors-just smaller in size-like a mini me.
    2010 MF GC2410 TLB, 2006 Husqvarna YTH 2448, 2004 Honda Rincon 650, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-Hemi.

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

Default Re: Are SCUT really Tractors

I just can't imagine anyone wanting to own a Sub Compact Utility Mower.
    I for one, would not want to join SCUM by Net. The bumper stickers wouldn't be so popular either.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX24

I would say tractor. Just much smaller and not as powerful.
    08 BX24 FEL, BH, 6l0" MMM, Kubota PTO Bagger, BX2750D snow blower with quick hitch

I'll chime in. Yes they are. When you hear rideon lawnmower does somthing with a FEL pop into your head? nope. You can do so much more with a SCUT then your local big box "lawn master"

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

How about if we look at this from a different angle. What HP was the model "A" or "B" John Deere and the "C" & "H" Farmalls? They where in the same range as the SCUT's today and where never considered anything but a farm tractor.

I also vote small utily tractor since to me lawn mowers don't have 3PH and FEL options.

Roy

It is just semantics.......... To me anything in a general shape of a tractor is a tractor, whether it is a small tractor of a big tractor. Even kid's toys can be tractors.

I am new to this board, and I am amazed at how people get offended over stuff like this. As long as someone is using a machine to make their life easier, who cares what they call it? The terms we use just help people understand what they are talking about.

Tractor
    Bobcat ct 225

A SCUT is a bunch more powerful than a Cub was and it was, and still is a tractor.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 850,JD 810A(mine),JD LX280(dad)

Is a Mini cooper a vehicle just the same as a Cadillac or Porche?

Is a Ford Ranger a truck just the same as a F-350 Dually(I was going to say a Peterbilt, but that would not be fair)?

Capability and what your actual needs are would be the determining factor, not whether it is a "tractor" or not.

I say tractor.

But, I also call the lowly L-series mowers "lawn tractors". Even though, I wouldnt brag to an actual farmer that you own a "tractor" when he may have articulated units that couldnt even turn around in your yard.

Rod

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by lizardman View Post
    Is a Mini cooper a vehicle just the same as a Cadillac or Porche?

Is a Ford Ranger a truck just the same as a F-350 Dually(I was going to say a Peterbilt, but that would not be fair)?

Capability and what your actual needs are would be the determining factor, not whether it is a "tractor" or not.

I say tractor.

But, I also call the lowly L-series mowers "lawn tractors". Even though, I wouldnt brag to an actual farmer that you own a "tractor" when he may have articulated units that couldnt even turn around in your yard.

Rod
    Boy that is the truth. I was going to take a picture of my L5030 HSTC sitting next to one of our renters tractors parked down by our barn, but it is gone now. My biggest tractor, an 80 horse Case looks little beside it.

I don't much care what people call my BX2660, JD2305 or Grand L, I like them and that's all that really counts.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3325

I think if it is gear driven inseat of belt, has more than 3 pistons (sorry you John Deere A owners), has tires that you can't buy at a big box store and it delvelops over 15 hp with its 3 piston engine, then it is a tractor.

Just my thoughts,

Don
    Country Life Beats Working.

Less than 1 month to Retirement

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast