Tractor Sizing Are SCUT really Tractors

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
This question was brought up in another thread but I wanted to get everyones take regardless of what brand or size tractor you own. The question of the day is; Is a sub-compact tractory just a glorified lawn mower or is it truly a tractor? My take and experience says it is that they are true tractors-just smaller in size-like a mini me.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #2  
I just can't imagine anyone wanting to own a Sub Compact Utility Mower.
I for one, would not want to join SCUM by Net. The bumper stickers wouldn't be so popular either.
:)

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #3  
I would say tractor. Just much smaller and not as powerful.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #4  
I'll chime in. Yes they are. When you hear rideon lawnmower does somthing with a FEL pop into your head? nope. You can do so much more with a SCUT then your local big box "lawn master"

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #5  
How about if we look at this from a different angle. What HP was the model "A" or "B" John Deere and the "C" & "H" Farmalls? They where in the same range as the SCUT's today and where never considered anything but a farm tractor.

I also vote small utily tractor since to me lawn mowers don't have 3PH and FEL options.

Roy

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #6  
It is just semantics.......... To me anything in a general shape of a tractor is a tractor, whether it is a small tractor of a big tractor. Even kid's toys can be tractors.

I am new to this board, and I am amazed at how people get offended over stuff like this. As long as someone is using a machine to make their life easier, who cares what they call it? The terms we use just help people understand what they are talking about.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #7  
A SCUT is a bunch more powerful than a Cub was and it was, and still is a tractor.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #8  
Is a Mini cooper a vehicle just the same as a Cadillac or Porche?

Is a Ford Ranger a truck just the same as a F-350 Dually(I was going to say a Peterbilt, but that would not be fair)?

Capability and what your actual needs are would be the determining factor, not whether it is a "tractor" or not.

I say tractor.

But, I also call the lowly L-series mowers "lawn tractors". Even though, I wouldnt brag to an actual farmer that you own a "tractor" when he may have articulated units that couldnt even turn around in your yard.

Rod

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #9  
Is a Mini cooper a vehicle just the same as a Cadillac or Porche?

Is a Ford Ranger a truck just the same as a F-350 Dually(I was going to say a Peterbilt, but that would not be fair)?

Capability and what your actual needs are would be the determining factor, not whether it is a "tractor" or not.

I say tractor.

But, I also call the lowly L-series mowers "lawn tractors". Even though, I wouldnt brag to an actual farmer that you own a "tractor" when he may have articulated units that couldnt even turn around in your yard.

Rod

Boy that is the truth. I was going to take a picture of my L5030 HSTC sitting next to one of our renters tractors parked down by our barn, but it is gone now. My biggest tractor, an 80 horse Case looks little beside it.

I don't much care what people call my BX2660, JD2305 or Grand L, I like them and that's all that really counts.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #10  
I think if it is gear driven inseat of belt, has more than 3 pistons (sorry you John Deere A owners), has tires that you can't buy at a big box store and it delvelops over 15 hp with its 3 piston engine, then it is a tractor.

Just my thoughts,

Don