Ford 800 Series Info Needed

/ Ford 800 Series Info Needed #1  

etgjr

Tractor
Kubota 4330HST, 853FEL
Hi All,

First post on a great site, have learned much, thanks.

I am looking at a ford 800 series gas w/manual steering, live hydrolics and am told not a live PTO. Can anyone give me the good points/bad points on this tractor? Asking price is $3000, have not yet seen this tractor as its is a few hundred miles from me.

I plan to brush hog about a mile of woods trails and about 20 acres of fields. Some of the wood roads are on fairly steep hills. Plan to have a back blade in addition to the brush hog. Have 200 acres total that I will be using this tractor on.

Any info and advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

/ Ford 800 Series Info Needed #2  
You may want to visit: http://www.ytmag.com/index.htm

This site is excelent for vintage tractors.

This tractor should do all the things you want it to. Simple mechanical systems will make it easy to maintain. I believe this was the next and it is a better model up from the 8N. You may want to invest in a ROPS and a seat belt for extra safety on the steep hills. You may have to change the seat too, I think it has the old 'pan' style.

I used to have an 8N nice little tractor. Have always thought though if I had started with an 800 or newer I would have kept it longer.

If you check in your local bookstore. They should have a few books on Ford tractors that talk about the 800 series.

I am a little surprised you say no live PTO. I thought they had live PTO.

Good luck. Let us know.

/ Ford 800 Series Info Needed #3  
it is the next series up from the N series. the only thing about not being live pto is it is sometimes apain to want to stop and keep the implement going, and u can't do it, this is important when trying to ease the hog into difficult stuff or if u ever need to put snowblower on it. also the stering will be a bear especially when going slow or trying to turn wheels when stopped.but my old 2 n did the job, so i imagine this one will for u. as CJ SAYS if it still has the old metal seart get rid of it post haste, most uncomfortable things in the world. quipped mine with a spring, air cushion seat with arms. what a difference!/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif don't have it anymore, sold it and moved up. but it was one hell of a tractor.

/ Ford 800 Series Info Needed #4  
I owned a Ford 800 just like the one you have described. I bought it in 1976 and used it for four years. I pulled a 6ft. rotary cutter, 6ft blade and a 3 plow. The tractor was a very good tractor, economical and easy to repair. Mine was a 1956 5 speed gas burner. The only problem that I see is the price. If this tractor is in real good condition a good price will be $2500, in fair condition $2000. The years of manufacture were 1954-1957. Hope this helps.

/ Ford 800 Series Info Needed #6  
The 1955 and later 800 was a good tractor. Price may be a little high, but not much. Maybe offer $2,700 to $2800 unless it's in real bad shape. The 800 had the larger "Red Tiger" 172 cu in engine and should do all your asking. If I recall it was in the range of 50 hp, maybe more or slightly less. You may wish to find out if this tractor was made in 1957 or after. At that point Ford modified the numbering (and options) to include different transmissions, etc. Model 860 had live PTO. Stay away from a 811, 881, 871. These numbers are for the "Select-O-Speed" models. Select-O-Speed was essentially Fords engineering marvel, manually-shifted, syncronized, hydraulicly operated nightmare. If you see a combination 10 forward gears, neutral, 2 reverse on a little shift below the instrument panel, rather than a standard-type gear shift on the top of the transmission housing, walk away. Also, some folks have had some carburator problems, since it still had the old "updraft" design used on the earlier Fords, but many have been trouble-free. Make sure the 3-pt works flawlessly. If all else is well, this is a great basic tractor. Check out www.members.aol.com/naa60512/naa.htm This site has more info than you could ever ask on these early Ford tractors.

/ Ford 800 Series Info Needed #7  
That's what it was the 860 has the live pto. It had been awhile since I had been looking at Fords.

/ Ford 800 Series Info Needed #8  
let us know what you buy...

/ Ford 800 Series Info Needed
Hi All,

Thanks for all the great replies. I feel pretty good about the 800 model but not to good about the price which the seller raised and the condition. I am going to pass on this particular tractor but I have a line on a JD 5300 w/4wd, FEL and BB for about 15k. This is more than what I was looking to spend but from what I have seen the price with the low hours is a good deal.

Thanks,

Ed

/ Ford 800 Series Info Needed #10  
A good ford 800 1957 has 55 or more HP and a lot more power than a Kubota which is 3 times the price . Deer hunters want the ford 800 to maintain their deer plots so the price is going uo all over Illinois and Wisc. 3500 if in great shape and 12 volt conversion is a fair price. You will get that if you sell it 5 years from now. Plus parts easy to get which is very nice.