Wanted tractor for 50s era homestead

/ Wanted tractor for 50s era homestead #1  

carlboyette

Tractor
want diesel 30 to 40 hp 50s era
Hello all,

I recently purchased a beautiful 800 sq ft 1950 home on 5 acres. I am looking for a diesel tractor, 50s vintage, with 30 to 40 hp. So I have been reading and searching everything I can find on tractors and agriculture of that era. I am working to develop my place into a homestead representative of the early post war era. It would be great to be able to show school children, Scouts, and others a piece of living history.

sincerely,

Carl Boyette

/ Wanted tractor for 50s era homestead #2  
Hello all,

I recently purchased a beautiful 800 sq ft 1950 home on 5 acres. I am looking for a diesel tractor, 50s vintage, with 30 to 40 hp. So I have been reading and searching everything I can find on tractors and agriculture of that era. I am working to develop my place into a homestead representative of the early post war era. It would be great to be able to show school children, Scouts, and others a piece of living history.

sincerely,

Carl Boyette

I think one of the most impressive tractors ever made is the old John Deere two cylinder. They are the favorites at tractor shows and parades. These old tractors can still do a good days work. They are high maintenance. For sure the diesels that have a pony motor to start them.

/ Wanted tractor for 50s era homestead #3  
A Johny Popper or McCormick WD 9.:thumbsup:

And an Allis Chalmers Model B. :thumbsup:

/ Wanted tractor for 50s era homestead #5  
If you have the bucks go for the Boomer 8N, retro looks of the 50's but performance of this century!

/ Wanted tractor for 50s era homestead #6  
Or, buy a "brand new" original 2N, 8N, or 9N.

There are some fellas over in Indiana that reman them. 8NComplete or something like that. For $11K, you would have a virtually brand new, era correct, reliable machine. That's sounds awfully good to me. No other tractor could really typify the era as well. Boy, the dad's of those field trip kids would be all over it. You'd have a lot of drool to wipe off!!:D

/ Wanted tractor for 50s era homestead #7  
I think one of the most impressive tractors ever made is the old John Deere two cylinder. They are the favorites at tractor shows and parades. These old tractors can still do a good days work. They are high maintenance. For sure the diesels that have a pony motor to start them.

Some of the late 720's & 730"s are electric start (24V starter, 12V for everything else). Only problem is, if you're in a cold climate, the electric starts don't turn over very well below freezing, block heaters are available. They are rated at 58 HP, a little bigger than you're asking for, but top of the line tractors! :thumbsup: ~~ grnspot110

/ Wanted tractor for 50s era homestead #8  
Second the motion for a restored Ford 2N or 8N. Of course I'm biased since I own an N-series tractor, but it really doesn't get any more "50's" than these ubiquitous little machines. They were everywhere back then. And they're still easy to find now. If you don't want to go with a full-on restoration, you can probably locate one that's had some TLC and decent paint for less than $5,000.