Buying Advice subcompact

/ subcompact #1  

bobelu

i live in central oregon and need a tractor to care for 5 acres of property. it is on a bit of knoll, partially wooded, with some pasture down below. i'll be doing some mowing, building of burn piles, firewood gathering, and spreading some rock. the previous owner lent me his 155d to try out but it didn't really seem like enough tractor. i thing a 20 hp or thereabout sized machine with a belly mower and bucket will be better for what i need it to do. i am wondering about a gray market yanmar from a local dealer or? any and all advice will be appreciated.

/ subcompact #2  
Don't know exactly what you are looking for, and what your exact price range is, but you may want to look at a Power Trac PT425. It has probably the best bucket options of anything in its class. Only has a front mower, but with the quick attach system it is super easy to switch implements. They have a 25 HP Subaru Robin engine in them.

I do not own one, but I am in the process of getting a PT1460, and I was really impressed when I went to the factory for a test drive. They have some used PT425's available on their website as well.

Versatile Tractors,Compact Tractors,Trailer Packages,Landscaping,Utility Vehicle Rentals,Mowers-Power Trac

This one used one comes with a lot of stuff - you could do a lot of damage for $17000

425att05.jpg

Last edited:
   / subcompact #3  
i live in central oregon and need a tractor to care for 5 acres of property. it is on a bit of knoll, partially wooded, with some pasture down below. i'll be doing some mowing, building of burn piles, firewood gathering, and spreading some rock. the previous owner lent me his 155d to try out but it didn't really seem like enough tractor. i thing a 20 hp or thereabout sized machine with a belly mower and bucket will be better for what i need it to do. i am wondering about a gray market yanmar from a local dealer or? any and all advice will be appreciated.

:welcome: to TBN!:thumbsup: Are you thinking like a BX series Kubota or JohnDeere 2210-2305? My neighbor has a Kubota BX24 and it is a good little tractor. If you are planning for working on rough terrain though, i'd look at the next size up which would be a kubota B2320 or a JohnDeere 2320. I have a 19 hp Yanmar 169D and it works for what i use it for but i do plan to upgrade to a larger machine soon. With the gray market yanmars, it may be hard to find parts on certain models and easy on others. Luckly, my yanmar has a fair amount of parts availability but some parts are still hard to find. I guess some key questions are, what is your price range, what dealers are near you?

Attachments

• 1-9-10 048.jpg
    1-9-10 048.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 1-9-10 054.jpg
    1-9-10 054.jpg
    896.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 1-27-10 014.jpg
    1-27-10 014.jpg
    753 KB · Views: 144
   / subcompact
my terrain is not too bad, a little hilly. as to my price range. i'd like to spend 7 or 8 grand with the belly mower and bucket though i suspect i will have to go to 1o. obviously i am thinking about a used machine, and as i said before possibly a gray market yanmar. best tractor is pretty close as to other dealers i live in eugene so there are plenty.

/ subcompact #5  
I'd go new, and not grey market. Spend it now and you'll have it for decades if you take care of it. You're probably looking at 12 for a new one. Less if you can find a nice used one. There are really ony 2 types of pre-owned from what I've seen, hammered and mint. Good luck on your search and welcome to TBN.

/ subcompact #6  

How used? Gray market Yanmars probably will be 20-30 years old.
You could get a 5-10 year old Kubota B-series tractor (20-25 hp engine) with FEL and mid-mount mower for $8-10K if you shop around. I had a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny, power steering) with the LA302 FEL. Nice little tractor. I checked out Yanmars before I bought that 7510 and decided that I didn't need the hassle of owning old iron.

/ subcompact #7  
For $10,000 you can find a good used tractor with FEL. A friend of mine bought a 77 hour Mahindra 2816 with FEL and box blade for $11,500 in the fall. It took me over a year to find good used machine. Good deals are out there but you have to have patience and be prepared to look at some junk.

/ subcompact #8  
Other models to consider, that might be a better choice than a gray market japanese are Kioti CK20 or Bobcat CT220 or TYM T233/T273. Look for both new and used. Or a used JD x5x series (750, 755, 850, 855, etc.) or JD 770/790, or JD 41xx series. Plus a lot of small used Kubotas with loaders out there too. And some Fords too.

Recently saw a nice 3000 Ford with loader for like $5500. A lot of tractor, I know. But could be used for the bigger jobs and still leave enough money for a smaller machine (e.g. BX1800 or Yanmar) to do other things. Just examples of the many many options you should consider before buying.