"Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link?

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #11  
My CCM toplink has been tough and reliable, but I have never hung category 2 implements off of it. If you put a 10' mower or heavy disc on your 3PH, it will certainly put a lot more stress than I've put onto mine. Even so, the 2" cylinder on a 2500 psi system should handle anything that those heavy implements dish out. I think you will be okay.

My biggest issues with my 2240 are going to be:
1) the tractor end of my top link is neither Cat-1 or Cat-2, but somewhere in between.
2) Deciding where to put the valve assembly which doesn't conflict with access to my other controls. I want at least a 4-spool valve.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #12  
1) the tractor end of my top link is neither Cat-1 or Cat-2, but somewhere in between.
2) Deciding where to put the valve assembly which doesn't conflict with access to my other controls. I want at least a 4-spool valve.

When you say it is not Cat-1 or 2, do you mean the hole diameter or the width of the flanges on each side of the ball? If it is that the flanges are too wide, just grind them down a bit on the toplink's ball. If the toplink hole diameter is too large, you can put a bushing on the pin. If the pin on your tractor is too large for the toplink, then that does make it a bit more difficult.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #13  
When you say it is not Cat-1 or 2, do you mean the hole diameter or the width of the flanges on each side of the ball? If it is that the flanges are too wide, just grind them down a bit on the toplink's ball. If the toplink hole diameter is too large, you can put a bushing on the pin. If the pin on your tractor is too large for the toplink, then that does make it a bit more difficult.

It's the pin diameter. The factory pin is larger than a Cat-1, but smaller than a Cat-2. You can put a Cat-1 pin in it, but it is loose. I have to do this when I mount my boom mower as the factory pin won't fit into the Cat-1 mount on the mower. Without having measured anything, I'm guessing the difference is about 1/16" larger than the Cat-1. When the time comes to actually install a top & tilt, I expect to buy the tractor end of the factory top link and have it welded on so that everything fits properly.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #14  

Cyril, is your top link a 3/4" hole at the tractor and a 1" hole at the implement end? I thought that would have been what you had.

Any of you guys looking, I have a brand new cat 2 top link for sale. 3" bore x 12" stroke, 1 1/2" rod. 22 1/2" collapsed x 34 1/2" extended. PM me if your interested.

Dalton is another supplier that has a 3" cat 2 top link.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #15  
Cyril, is your top link a 3/4" hole at the tractor and a 1" hole at the implement end? I thought that would have been what you had.

I'll have to measure things to give you an accurate answer. That sounds about right, but if 3/4" is the size for a standard Cat-1 top link pin, then my tractor-end pin is more like 13/16" with the standard Cat-2 on the impliment end of the top link.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #16  
I'll have to measure things to give you an accurate answer. That sounds about right, but if 3/4" is the size for a standard Cat-1 top link pin, then my tractor-end pin is more like 13/16" with the standard Cat-2 on the impliment end of the top link.

Please do measure it, it will be interesting to see what the size really is. :confused3:

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #17  
Please do measure it, it will be interesting to see what the size really is. :confused3:

It's cooler today so I plan on going to the farm later. I'll pull out the mic and get some real world measurements.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #18  
It's cooler today so I plan on going to the farm later. I'll pull out the mic and get some real world measurements.

OK got the measurements.

My Cat-1 pin is .75" (3/4") and the impliment end is 1.00". My factory tractor end pin is .790" or 20mm.

Here are a couple pix.

Attachments

• 3PH_001.jpg
    3PH_001.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 3PH_002.jpg
    3PH_002.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 285
   / "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #19  
OK got the measurements.

My Cat-1 pin is .75" (3/4") and the impliment end is 1.00". My factory tractor end pin is .790" or 20mm.

Here are a couple pix.

I will have to double check mine now, but I know that my factory pin goes into an aftermarket JD top link for your tractor. Not sure if .040" is much to worry about on our tractors anyway though.

I'm not going out to the ranch until next week, :( but I will check out mine then and see what they really are.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #20  
I will have to double check mine now, but I know that my factory pin goes into an aftermarket JD top link for your tractor. Not sure if .040" is much to worry about on our tractors anyway though.

I'm not going out to the ranch until next week, :( but I will check out mine then and see what they really are.

I first discovered it when I got my boom mower and tried to install the factory pin in the Cat-1 top mount of the mower and it wouldn't fit. I had to buy a cat-1 pin to mount the mower. Here's a pic of the mower when I first got it which shows the mounting fairly well.

Attachments

• JD_008.JPG
    JD_008.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 322