"Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link?

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #1  

Matt in Virginia

Bronze Member
Gentlemen,
I realize "Best" is a subjective term, however, what company do you consider makes the best, heaviest duty, Cat 2 Hydraulic Top link? It is going on a John Deere 90-95 PTO HP Tractor that weighs about 10,000 pounds without ballast. I know that may stretch "compact", however, I have found your input invaluable in the recent past. As a side note I am looking for a unit that runs off one of the hydraulic SCVs and not a one of the hand operated units. Thank you again for your time and input...

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia 23322

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #2  
I too am interested in this. I have seen recommendations to CCM, but I don't know much more than that.

Am ready to pull the trigger on one, but any last minute recommendations would be great.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #3  
I am also interested in picking another one up. I have one, but am not really happy with it and will pick up another type for my other tractor/s.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #4  
I recommend you look at CCM's category 2 offerings. They have normal duty and heavy duty (70mm cylinder) versions with double pilot operated checkvalves. Order hoses from them too for an easy and quick job.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #5  
Another vote for CCM! I have a top and side link on my Kubota M9540.

Very strong and well made.:thumbsup:

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #6  
Another vote for CCM! I have a top and side link on my Kubota M9540.

Very strong and well made.:thumbsup:

Yesterday I ordered a top link from CCM for my M8540. I got the 'standard duty' 2" bore because of the length. I see they have a slightly longer 70mm (2-3/3") bore 'heavy duty' one. I also see a lot of 3" bore top links on the Internet. Does the smaller 2" bore top links seem to be tough enough for Category II duty?

I can't tell any difference between the Category I and Category II hydraulic top links offered by CCM other than length and of course the pin hole size.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #7  
Yesterday I ordered a top link from CCM for my M8540. I got the 'standard duty' 2" bore because of the length. I see they have a slightly longer 70mm (2-3/3") bore 'heavy duty' one. I also see a lot of 3" bore top links on the Internet. Does the smaller 2" bore top links seem to be tough enough for Category II duty?

I can't tell any difference between the Category I and Category II hydraulic top links offered by CCM other than length and of course the pin hole size.

Do they send the hydraulic lines with it specific to your tractor?

What measurements did you use to get the correct length?

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #8  
Do they send the hydraulic lines with it specific to your tractor?

What measurements did you use to get the correct length?

I measured my top link to determine the correct hydraulic top link length. As far as lines, I chose to buy my own so I did not order the lines and fittings from them.

I just ordered this yesterday, so I have not received it yet. Once I have possession of the top link, I will figure out the fittings and lines that I need. Our local farm store has a big variety of hydraulic hoses (sizes and lengths) and fittings. I want to make sure the lines lay how I want them.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #9  
I measured my top link to determine the correct hydraulic top link length. As far as lines, I chose to buy my own so I did not order the lines and fittings from them.

I just ordered this yesterday, so I have not received it yet. Once I have possession of the top link, I will figure out the fittings and lines that I need. Our local farm store has a big variety of hydraulic hoses (sizes and lengths) and fittings. I want to make sure the lines lay how I want them.

I may check back with you if I buy a M8540, I also need to get another one for my L5030, but I am still trying to decide if I can work around it.

/ "Best" Category 2 Hydraulic Top Link? #10  
Does the smaller 2" bore top links seem to be tough enough for Category II duty?

My CCM toplink has been tough and reliable, but I have never hung category 2 implements off of it. If you put a 10' mower or heavy disc on your 3PH, it will certainly put a lot more stress than I've put onto mine. Even so, the 2" cylinder on a 2500 psi system should handle anything that those heavy implements dish out. I think you will be okay.