Buying Advice Lawn Tractor for 1/3rd Acre Flat

/ Lawn Tractor for 1/3rd Acre Flat #1  

MikeFitz11

Hello everyone,

I'm very inexperienced in the area of lawn tractors, but I'm moving to a house with 1/3rd acre. The yard is flat and open, seems perfect for a lawn tractor. So far I've looked at John Deere LA series, as well as the X300. I've also looked at the Simplicity Regent. I bought a membership to Consumer Reports and they have the JD X304 and X300 rated near the top, unfortunitely they do not rank Simplicity.

I've had several recommendations for each tractor. Supposedly the LA series was designed for yards like mine, but after reading hundreds of poor reviews, I'm really hesitant to go in that direction. It appears the X300 is a safer bet, but I've read many people who insist you need to buy at least an X320 or higher. As for the Simplicity, I dont care about the lawn striping, and I know just as little about their durability.

Bottom line: I just want a tractor that will cut grass for many years with the least amount of problems on a flat 1/3rd acre. What do you think the best option would be for me given the work the tractor will be called upon for? Thanks for any input!

/ Lawn Tractor for 1/3rd Acre Flat #2  
Look in the JD Lawn and Garden forum. It has an excellant discussion on what mower to buy for a 1 acre lot. Really there isn't much difference in mowing a 1/3 arce verse a 1 acre lot. Just more ground. Same problems!

Don

/ Lawn Tractor for 1/3rd Acre Flat #3  
If all you want to do is cut grass, get a Snapper like this:

Rear-Engine Riding Mowers by Snapper

It is small, will cut that sized lot in under half an hour, stores standing up in your garage to take up less floor space, has a good cut and can be outfitted with a leaf vacuum cart if you have fall cleanup chores or want to bag your clippings. They are built well and last for years.

/ Lawn Tractor for 1/3rd Acre Flat #5  
If it was me.. I'd spend only about 700 or 800$ and get one of the economy units like a murray from walmart. When I bought mine 13 or 14 ys ago.. 700$ got you 12.5hp and 42" cut. I've looked around lately and think you can get close to that. tsc had ?huskie 38" cuts for 800$.. havn't priced walmart..

I change the oil in my mower yearly.. and clean the air filter and clean the plug.. make sur ethe tires are aired and sharpen the blades at the end of the year then hit them with a lil black spray paint. I sweep the deck off after cutting and blow debri off the air cooled engine.. check the belt yearly, and feel for loose deck pullies yearly.. a lil stabil in the fuel for the last run before winter.. etc. IE.. normal minimal maintenance for a yard machine.. keep some grease on the bat terminals.. etc.

I've had 13-14 years of good solid service with notheing other than blade replacement and aI think this is her 3rd battery? maybee 2nd? Local garden/engine shop sells the murray blades or for a couple bucks cheaper a uni-will-fit.. I have bene using those.. generally get about 3-4 ys on a set of blades depending on rainfall and rocks..

For the $$ I paid for the mower, and the life I've gotten out of her, if she died tomorrow she's own me nothing.. I'd spend another 700 or 800$ and get the same one, and have less money invested in the log run than if I had bought a high end mower 14 ys ago, plus i'd have a new mower, not a 14yr old expensive one..

14 ys and 700$ is 50$ a year.. not too bad. I just serviced mine and other than the deck is beginning to wear out... she still looks serviceable.. probably need a belt next year..etc.. mower still starts of first lick.. never fouls plugs.. I'd say she's at least 85-90% of the original 'power' she had and capabilities when new... ( sharp blade and clean gas makes most of the difference :) )

sure you can pay up to 2500$ for a rider or up to 4500$ for a ztr.. but you can also spend 800$ and laugh all the way to the bank..If it's spinning blades with a seat.. brand pretty much is just bragging rights anyway..

soundguy

Hello everyone,

I'm very inexperienced in the area of lawn tractors, but I'm moving to a house with 1/3rd acre. The yard is flat and open, seems perfect for a lawn tractor. So far I've looked at John Deere LA series, as well as the X300. I've also looked at the Simplicity Regent. I bought a membership to Consumer Reports and they have the JD X304 and X300 rated near the top, unfortunitely they do not rank Simplicity.

I've had several recommendations for each tractor. Supposedly the LA series was designed for yards like mine, but after reading hundreds of poor reviews, I'm really hesitant to go in that direction. It appears the X300 is a safer bet, but I've read many people who insist you need to buy at least an X320 or higher. As for the Simplicity, I dont care about the lawn striping, and I know just as little about their durability.

Bottom line: I just want a tractor that will cut grass for many years with the least amount of problems on a flat 1/3rd acre. What do you think the best option would be for me given the work the tractor will be called upon for? Thanks for any input!

/ Lawn Tractor for 1/3rd Acre Flat #6  
1* Simplicity is one of the best .
At least they don't make any of the BBS cheapos.

Almost any lawn tractor will handle less than an acre. I had a Craftsman for five years. strong briggs engine,good working hydo.trans but the thing was falling apart otherwise. loose steering,mower deck needing some parts. I just replaced with a Simplicity Regent. I'm very impressed with the cut and I don't stripe the grass. The ride and cut quality makes me wonder why I rode that sears thing so long. Yes anything can cut grass but not if you take pride in the finished job.

/ Lawn Tractor for 1/3rd Acre Flat #7  
wow a craftsman only lasting 5ys and falling apart to boot.. makes me feel good about that 14yr old cheapy murray I got..

soundguy

/ Lawn Tractor for 1/3rd Acre Flat #8  
If it was me.. I'd spend only about 700 or 800$ and get one of the economy units like a murray from walmart. When I bought mine 13 or 14 ys ago.. 700$ got you 12.5hp and 42" cut. I've looked around lately and think you can get close to that. tsc had ?huskie 38" cuts for 800$.. havn't priced walmart..

I change the oil in my mower yearly.. and clean the air filter and clean the plug.. make sur ethe tires are aired and sharpen the blades at the end of the year then hit them with a lil black spray paint. I sweep the deck off after cutting and blow debri off the air cooled engine.. check the belt yearly, and feel for loose deck pullies yearly.. a lil stabil in the fuel for the last run before winter.. etc. IE.. normal minimal maintenance for a yard machine.. keep some grease on the bat terminals.. etc.

I've had 13-14 years of good solid service with notheing other than blade replacement and aI think this is her 3rd battery? maybee 2nd? Local garden/engine shop sells the murray blades or for a couple bucks cheaper a uni-will-fit.. I have bene using those.. generally get about 3-4 ys on a set of blades depending on rainfall and rocks..

For the $$ I paid for the mower, and the life I've gotten out of her, if she died tomorrow she's own me nothing.. I'd spend another 700 or 800$ and get the same one, and have less money invested in the log run than if I had bought a high end mower 14 ys ago, plus i'd have a new mower, not a 14yr old expensive one..

14 ys and 700$ is 50$ a year.. not too bad. I just serviced mine and other than the deck is beginning to wear out... she still looks serviceable.. probably need a belt next year..etc.. mower still starts of first lick.. never fouls plugs.. I'd say she's at least 85-90% of the original 'power' she had and capabilities when new... ( sharp blade and clean gas makes most of the difference :) )

sure you can pay up to 2500$ for a rider or up to 4500$ for a ztr.. but you can also spend 800$ and laugh all the way to the bank..If it's spinning blades with a seat.. brand pretty much is just bragging rights anyway..

soundguy

Good post!
Hard to argue with $50/yr.

/ Lawn Tractor for 1/3rd Acre Flat #10  
big box store was what I believe he was refering to.

soundguy