My thoughts on tractor shopping yesterday

/ My thoughts on tractor shopping yesterday #1  

DennisH

Silver Member
I have 7 AC of land of which 5 AC are older somewhat level pasture, couple of wet weather creeks and the rest woods. I'm at a point where I need a tractor in order to more forward on getting this place whipped into shape.

I think the right size tractor for my budget is something in the 4WD 30-40hp range with a FEL. Anything bigger needed in the initial stages of this project I will just sub out. The final project down the road will be to have a 40x60 metal building, 2400 sq ft house and cutting/mowing most of that older somewhat level pasture.

I looked at a Kubota L2800, L3400 / Mahindra 2816, 3316 / JD 3005, 3038E, 4005, 4105. I can say that when comparing apples to apples there is not much more than a $2K price difference between the lot.

I have also been looking at used prices for several months now and don't see any deals out there in the 5 year old and less bunch. Even going back 10 years it seems like people want just a few thousand less than retail for their tractors. I have pretty much made up my mind to buy new vice used for this very reason. Why pay $12-14K for a used 2-4 year old tractor when you can buy new for $19K. Also tractor dealer money is pretty cheap when it comes to paying for it.

Anyway just wanted to pass along my thoughts on all this.

/ My thoughts on tractor shopping yesterday #2  
Dennis, good call on the prices! All the makes can do the same thing and are just as reliable as the next. Make your decision based on dealer support/location and the ergonomics you like best between the various colors. Also think about additional implements to buy with the machine. If you can package a couple with it, you'll pay less for them in the long run. The FEL is easy, but also look into a bush hog and a blade of some flavor (mostly box). Those three snacks can do pretty much everything you'll need. Rent any others until you see a constant need for one.

Good luck and have fun!

/ My thoughts on tractor shopping yesterday #3  
While you are shopping around do not forget to look at New Holland Ford, Kioti, BobCat, ect. Some have very good financing and incentives right now.

Chris

/ My thoughts on tractor shopping yesterday #4  
Why pay $12-14K for a used 2-4 year old tractor when you can buy new for $19K. Also tractor dealer money is pretty cheap when it comes to paying for it.

Anyway just wanted to pass along my thoughts on all this.[/QUOTE]

Easy answer to this question.....You save $5 to $7,000 dollars.!!

There are lots of dependable used tractors out there. Many that are in mint shape in all sorts of colors. And, some come with the attachments you will need.

The thousands in savings will buy you lots of attachments.

But hey, if you got it you might as well spend it. Me, I don't like getting a writers cramp when I write the check.!!:)

/ My thoughts on tractor shopping yesterday #5  
Why pay $12-14K for a used 2-4 year old tractor when you can buy new for $19K. Also tractor dealer money is pretty cheap when it comes to paying for it.

Anyway just wanted to pass along my thoughts on all this.

Easy answer to this question.....You save $5 to $7,000 dollars.!!

There are lots of dependable used tractors out there. Many that are in mint shape in all sorts of colors. And, some come with the attachments you will need.

The thousands in savings will buy you lots of attachments.

But hey, if you got it you might as well spend it. Me, I don't like getting a writers cramp when I write the check.!!:)[/QUOTE]

Agree completely, my last one was seven years old and runs like a top. I used the savings on equipment.

/ My thoughts on tractor shopping yesterday
Easy answer to this question.....You save $5 to $7,000 dollars.!!.!!:)

I agree on the good used thing but you would think there would be more than a 35% cost difference on a 7-10 year old tractor vs. new.

Another way to look at this a 2010 Chevy Silverado 4x4 D'Max tops out around lets say $45K.

A 10 year old 2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4 diesel was a cash for clunkers truck.

Obviously tractors hold their value.

/ My thoughts on tractor shopping yesterday #8  
Another way to look at this a 2010 Chevy Silverado 4x4 D'Max tops out around lets say $45K.

The better known brands do. I did an informal study on Deere CUTs several years ago. They depreciate about for about 5 years, then level out.

The better known brands do. I did an informal study on Deere CUTs several years ago. They depreciate about for about 5 years, then level out.

Roy, when you did your study what was the annual depreciation on years 1-5?

/ My thoughts on tractor shopping yesterday #10  

2 different apples.

You can't compare trucks with tractors.

And yes, green holds it's value very well.