Comparison Bush Hog 295 vs Woods BB600X

/ Bush Hog 295 vs Woods BB600X #1  

jibron

Tractor
jd4500
Bush Hog 295 vs Woods BB600X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm down to these two.
I can get the Bush Hog 295 for $2270 or the Woods BB600x for $2150 both in stock.
Any thoughts on this decision?
Any thoughts on Woods' spring plate slip clutch vs Bush Hog's conventional springs?
I'm running a JD 4500 (35hp) with a front counterweight kit.
I was running an old Bush Hog 305R and it broke a center casting on the gearbox when I hit a stump last week (no shear pin). I wouldn't mind fixing it but can't find the obsolete part. Bush Hog says it's unavailable through them. I believe the old Bush Hog was about the same duty rating as these two new ones I've been looking at.
I'm hard on a machine.
I cut about 40 acres not as often as I should so I regularly am into treelines, 2+" saplings and hidden tree falls. I also have a habit of backing into areas to open them up which is one reason I kind of like the Woods unit because it has that 2" bumper welded across the back. From the pictures I've seen it seems to have a little beefier construction in general as far as the thickness of its ironwork and especially the rear wheel carrier and it's about 140 lbs. heavier which would seem to bear that impression out.
I'll sometimes need to push a fallen tree around with the rear wheel assembly or throw a chain around one, lift it a little and drag it with the rear section.
Also, I've heard Bush Hog might be a little unstable financially but I sure liked our 305R. My Dad bought it new in 1961 and I've abused it ever since till now.

Help me decide please. I've seen neither in person.
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: