Buying Advice JD-2320 Noises

/ JD-2320 Noises #1  

Scrambler82

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 28XL, HST, TLB
Hello, I am in the process of buying a JD 2320, test drove it, like it and working on pricing and attachments costs.

I was very surprised by the noise of the Tractor when it started to go forward.
Do all of the Hydrostatic Drives sound like a squealing pack of pigs.

In the test drive all the only problem is the noise.

Can other 3220 owners get back to me and let me know if things change as the Tractor breaks in or is there something I can do to reduce this noise.

Thanks

/ JD-2320 Noises #2  
:welcome:
I'd get the noise checked out first, before buying.

Dealer purchase? or private?

But no, they don't sound like a pack of squealing pigs. :)

Can other 3220 owners get back to me and .....
Now which is it....2320 or 3220 ?

Last edited:
   / JD-2320 Noises #3  
HST's can be a bit 'squeally" when cold, and new is also a tad more prone to being louder. You have to operate at or near PTO rpms at all times, and let it warm up. Try several tractors. There still could be a problem with the one you test drove. They will do this more also if low on fluid or if fluid is too thick. Not likely too thick if a new tractor at the dealership, but could be low. I suspect it's just cold though.

/ JD-2320 Noises #4  
Welcome to TBN:D

I will say it's normal...You are more sensitive to it since this was your first time driving one. Some call it "whine" and some call it "squeal" but it's all the same and normal for a hydrostatic transmission. I would guess you where in high gear?

/ JD-2320 Noises
High Range no warm up test drive, dealer should have said something.
2302 is 2009/17 hrs/FEL-200CX/$3K off list of new.
I will go back and warm her up a little then see how the noise is.

Thanks,

/ JD-2320 Noises #6  
I test drove a 3038E Hydro and it made the same noise. I than got on a 4120 eHydro and it has no noise.

So the real question is why do Hydro's make noise and the eHydro's do not?

/ JD-2320 Noises
OK good question but for a 1st time tractor buyer what is the difference between the Hydro痴 and eHydro痴 and as asked in the last post why the difference in noise levels ?

Thansk

/ JD-2320 Noises #8  
I'm a first time tractor buyer still in the looking stages so this is all new to me too.

/ JD-2320 Noises #9  
Hello, I am in the process of buying a JD 2320, test drove it, like it and working on pricing and attachments costs.

I was very surprised by the noise of the Tractor when it started to go forward.
Do all of the Hydrostatic Drives sound like a squealing pack of pigs.

In the test drive all the only problem is the noise.

Can other 3220 owners get back to me and let me know if things change as the Tractor breaks in or is there something I can do to reduce this noise.

Thanks

my 2320 has lots of noise also .

/ JD-2320 Noises #10  
OK good question but for a 1st time tractor buyer what is the difference between the Hydro痴 and eHydro痴 and as asked in the last post why the difference in noise levels ?

Thansk

On the regular Hydro's, there is a mechanical linkage that goes from the pedals to the transmission to control speed and direction. Very simple, time tested and very little to go wrong.

The eHydro's are "fly by wire" and use sensors (potentiometers) on the pedals to tell a computer how much and what direction to move. There is no mechanical connection between the tranny and the pedals.

The basic internals of the transmissions are the same, the difference in the noise was probably temperature or gear selection related. All hydrostatic tranny's whine to some degree.