1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ?

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #1  

mrblackwell

Tractor
Wheel Horse 520-H
Hey guys, I'm looking at an 89 Gravely 16-G Professional with a 50" deck that is being sold as surplus property by sealed bid. I looked at it the other day & it seems to be a good machine other than, what seems to be, a dirty carb/bad gas.
Tractor has about 800hrs. on it
Paint is faded a little, but no rust.
I know there are a few variables, but what is a ballpark value on it ?

Thanks Chris

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #2  
That's 21 year old lawn tractor...no more then $200 and that's being generous.
It does run?

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #3  
My neighbor sold his last year for $150, and it would not stay in 2nd gear without a bungy. the guy he sold it to is still using it to mow about an acre around his cabin. They are pretty solid machines, but hard to change the belts according to my neighbor and parts are getting harder to find now that Gravely is no more.

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #4  
Guys....really...do some research before you hammer down a classic iron horse that will quite likely be working harder than you ever have, many years after you have left this world! This ain't no disposable machine.

Roy! For goodness sake!! $200 ??? Be still my heart!
Gittyup! Neighbor sold one for $150?? I feel faint! Does he have any more??

Mmmm.....21 years old...well, that 1200 lb. "lawn tractor" MIGHT be about broke in by now. :laughing:

Seriously though, this may very well be the last machine of it's purpose you will ever buy.
If you do happen to get it for a bid of $200...I'll be glad to offer you double. :licking:

Whew..I gotta stop gettin so worked up over these machines!

Gravely 16G Professional $1750
GRAVELY 16G PRO. MOWER$1600
GRAVELY RIDING TRACTOR 16 G $3850 !! (2001 model)
Gravely 16G $1550
And last but not least...this is a 20-G, but still
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/private-party-ads/168129-sale-20g-gravely.html

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #5  
How much would you expect a 14 year old machine to be worth that was less that $3K when brand new when it's hard to get parts for it and it won't stay in 2nd gear. However, my buddy that bought it is still using it:D. Everybody is happy.

Believe me I'm a Gravely fan. I had an old 424 that was a tank; way more tractor than the 16G. But even it only brought $800 on trade for a $10K tractor. Probably could have done just as well negotiating but I wanted the 424 gone. Got tired of repairing it. It was good, but was just old and needed a lot of refurbishments to keep it running.

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #6  
Guys....really...do some research before you hammer down a classic iron horse that will quite likely be working harder than you ever have, many years after you have left this world! This ain't no disposable machine.

Roy! For goodness sake!! $200 ??? Be still my heart!
Gittyup! Neighbor sold one for $150?? I feel faint! Does he have any more??

Mmmm.....21 years old...well, that 1200 lb. "lawn tractor" MIGHT be about broke in by now. :laughing:

Seriously though, this may very well be the last machine of it's purpose you will ever buy.
If you do happen to get it for a bid of $200...I'll be glad to offer you double. :licking:

Whew..I gotta stop gettin so worked up over these machines!

Gravely 16G Professional $1750
GRAVELY 16G PRO. MOWER$1600
GRAVELY RIDING TRACTOR 16 G $3850 !! (2001 model)
Gravely 16G $1550
And last but not least...this is a 20-G, but still
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/private-party-ads/168129-sale-20g-gravely.html

I agree with Tony. You'll probably not regret buying it, no matter the price. If you want one that's MINT condition, I will sell my 1998 Gravely 16-G with hydraulics, good tires, 50" mower, and 4' blade for $3850. Mine has 414 hours on it, and has been barn kept. The paint isn't even faded.

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #7  
oh yeah, my mower NEW on 10/23/1998 with wheel wts, blade, deck, and roll bar was $8,904. I got it from the original owner, with all literature, receipts, and manuals. The tractor alone was $6,995 in October 1998. If you can find them for a few hundred dollars in working condition, buy them, and you probably will be very glad you did. They last, and last, and last, and last.

By the way, I noticed Opryland in Nashville, TN is still using the 16-G tractors with decks to mow with.

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #8  
Who here has the mint Gravely and what is the asking price??? Can some pix I can pull up be posted??

Thanks.

John M

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #9  
Roy, you are right on nearly everything, but a Gravely four wheel tractor in good shape is worth way more than $200.

John M

/ 1989 Gravely 16-G Professional-What's it worth ? #10  
I have owned my 88 G-16 for 12 years. Best tractor I have ever owned. Yes they are more expensive to maintain and fix when they do break. A PTO clutch can cost a thousand dollars if you must have someone else do the work. But it is commercial. Sometimes you must pay the price for quality. I mow 2-1/2 acres. But this is a very solid gear driven tractor. The only belt I have with my machine is the one on my 60" and 50" mower decks. But the actual deck is still driven off PTO shaft drive. My snow blower is shaft pto driven as well. This is a farm duty machine. Just a seat for this tractor can cost over $ 200.00
What are they worth? Condition, condition, condition. If they have not been maintained and are in bad to fair shape $200-300 might not be that far off. But if they have been maintained in very top condition at least $800-1000. The G-12 & G14 has good hardware with the exception of the 1 cylinder engine. One negative. The G-16 - G24 are usually overall good machines. Except after 1996 I have been told they have cheapened the mower deck and some of the controls.
I also have a 812 tractor. There is a whole lot of difference between the 812 & the G-16. Ergonomically the G-16 runs circles around my 812 unit.
I heard someone mention the 400 series tractor. This is one I avoid! Aren't a portion of them all belt driven? This is what they tell me. I despise putting belts on.
I have put one set of belts on my decks in 12 years recently. Those belts are also very costly if you get professional landscapers belts which last 3 times longer.