Buying Advice New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing #1  

karlbike

Tractor
none yet
So i'm in serious need of a tractor (larger than my large frame simplicity) and have run across a NH TC 29 in the $7000 range. it's a 2000 and cosmetically rough (faded, a little rust, headlights busted etc) it's got a lot of hours on it, and needs some work (leaky PS unit, clutch adjustment, tires are worn out, but might get a season out of them)

it has a 7308 FEL, is a 3x3 trans. I think it might be a little small for my application (dragging wood from the woods, tilling garden, grading drive (600' in upper midwest), plowing snow, mowing orchard and other areas.

we have 80 acres, but only 25 of it is tillable by any stretch of the imagination, the rest is scrub, mixed hardwoods or swamp.

our area is pretty wet (you want to stay on top), so I'd want fat ag tires anyway, so replacing tires not a bad idea anyway.

My question is this: this seems like a really good price for this tractor, compared with what I've seen around, especially with the FEL.
it's at the upper end of my budget for now, so is a reasonable thought that I can get this tractor, touch it up, fix the broken things (I'm pretty handy, and have a neighbor who fixes anything with moving parts pretty cheap and is even better than I) and if I decide to go bigger/win the lottery, I can sell it for what I have in it, or at least not get soaked.

thoughts?

thanks
karl

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing #2  
For $7K, I'd guess it's 2WD machine (really be surprised if it's 4WD). If I'm correct, 2WD with a loader isn't a happy combination. I think you'll be disappointed in it's performance.
Just make sure it doesn't need any major work. Parts aren't cheap and it would suck if you blew your whole budget on a tractor you can't use.

I would not buy it if it is 2WD... I'd look for an older tractor in better condition and 4WD (or large enough to do the work without 4WD)

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing
Right. It is a 4wd.

I wouldn't put a loader onto a small 2wd tractor.

the larger tractor is a great option, but I don't know enough to look at 30 year old tractors with a critical eye, and diesel ones of that age with loaders are at a premium around here. lots of dairy farms and people using tractors in the 50-80 HP range, which would be right where I'd be looking.

cosmetics don't matter to me.

If I can avoid major work, should I be able to get my money out of this machine in 2-5 years?

karl

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing #4  
I think I would be inclined to keep shopping. As you describe the tractor, it sounds pretty well used and maybe not so well cared for. It might be a tad small for your intended uses too, which means it will be getting used hard by you too :)

It's a crap shoot, but that tractor could well be for sale for a while - unless the owner takes a lower offer.
Dave.

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing #5  
cosmetics don't matter to me.

If I can avoid major work, should I be able to get my money out of this machine in 2-5 years?

karl

Cosmetics may not matter to you, but a poor appearance may well put off a potential buyer (and probably already has for that tractor) when you try to sell it.

As far as recouping your money in 2-5 years...no one can foresee the future. However, your post states it has "it's got a lot of hours on it". It's not going to have less hours in a few years. You'll have to expect some depreciation, even if you fix the leaks and spruce it up a bit. And that's if you can avoid major repair work (such as a clutch, since it has lots of hours).

Looking in my crystal ball, I foresee that tractor setting in a field somewhere, rusting away, in 2-5 years.

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing #6  
I have a 2000 ...NH TC -29 with a front in loader ..it is 2 wheel drive and a gear model with 384 hours and I have owned it since new...It is a great tractor with plenty of power, I have no problem using the FEL with it , I use the loader all the time and otherwise I primarily Bush hog 22 acres with it on a regular basis. Now that is my tractor and the one you are looking at obviously has more hours but why not take your handman friend with you and look it over before you decide against it. My TC -20 also runs my 20KW PTO generator to power my whole house when we have a power outage...they are a good tractor with more power than you think and they are solid , heavy tractor. Ny rear tires are loaded. Good Luck.,

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing #7  
I'm not too familiar with the TC29 though I did test drive one a couple of times so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I would count on having to replace the clutch, etc., and take a pessimistic perspective to any repairs that need doing, and see if the price still looks good to you.Those broken headlights for example could well run into hundreds of dollars in parts alone since many are "intergrated" units these days. Sweat equity is a good thought, but as in homes you have to be pretty careful with what you choose to work on if you want to get any kind of a return, or even to break even. I guess what I'm saying is that I would probably make a list of what needs doing, and get an idea from a dealer what it would cost to make it right before plunging into the deal. That might be enough to cover those things you don't see.

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing #8  
i bought a brand new NH TC29D back in 01.i was very disappointed in it.the only things i liked about it was the loader and how the tractor was laid out as far as operating it.the engine ran fine,but 29 hp ? felt more like 18 hp. i used it till 04,it had been back and forth to the dealer,it had the trans replaced after the 3rd visit and the problem was still there.i went round and round with them and finally they refused to do anything for me.at that time,it only had about 200 hours on it.i was so disgusted with the whole experience that i sold it.i kept it in brand new shape and had the hardest time selling it.as for the engine,never had a problem other than it was very anemic.it just did'nt have the power i thought it should have.i then bought a new JD4410 in 04,power difference was night and day,it tackles everything i throw at it and wants more.
if i were you,i would steer clear of that NH and find yourself an older 4300/4400.i think you would be much happier with it,but,premium tractor brings premium price.the new holland cost me more considering what i paid for it and the loss i had to take to get rid of it.you can find older 40-45 hp farm tractors with loaders too for 8-10k.look at what you need to do the most with your tractor and then make a decision on buying one.they are an investment.some of the off brands make nice units that may be better suited to your budget.a friend had an old yanmar 35 hp 4wd,he did stuff with that tractor that was way beyond it's capabilities.he has had it for about 18 years and it still keeps on going.he bought a new NH TC40D after i told him about my experience,no sooner got it home,and he too was unhappy with it.i think they build some nice stuff,but as far as CUT tractors,i think they need to reinvent themselves ,,,,,,

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing #9  
i bought a brand new NH TC29D back in 01.i was very disappointed in it.the only things i liked about it was the loader and how the tractor was laid out as far as operating it.the engine ran fine,but 29 hp ? felt more like 18 hp. i used it till 04,it had been back and forth to the dealer,it had the trans replaced after the 3rd visit and the problem was still there.i went round and round with them and finally they refused to do anything for me.at that time,it only had about 200 hours on it.i was so disgusted with the whole experience that i sold it.i kept it in brand new shape and had the hardest time selling it.as for the engine,never had a problem other than it was very anemic.it just did'nt have the power i thought it should have.i then bought a new JD4410 in 04,power difference was night and day,it tackles everything i throw at it and wants more.
if i were you,i would steer clear of that NH and find yourself an older 4300/4400.i think you would be much happier with it,but,premium tractor brings premium price.the new holland cost me more considering what i paid for it and the loss i had to take to get rid of it.you can find older 40-45 hp farm tractors with loaders too for 8-10k.look at what you need to do the most with your tractor and then make a decision on buying one.they are an investment.some of the off brands make nice units that may be better suited to your budget.a friend had an old yanmar 35 hp 4wd,he did stuff with that tractor that was way beyond it's capabilities.he has had it for about 18 years and it still keeps on going.he bought a new NH TC40D after i told him about my experience,no sooner got it home,and he too was unhappy with it.i think they build some nice stuff,but as far as CUT tractors,i think they need to reinvent themselves ,,,,,,

So you are condemning all New Holland Tractors. In other words you were not happy with yours and then your friend was not happy with his and you sum it up saying New Holland builds some nice stuff but not as far as CUT tractors. So you rule out the possibility that you abused your tractor or got a lemon. Personally, I don't think you like New Holland. There are plenty of happy New Holland Tractor owners just as there are some disappointed John Deere, Kubota etc. owners..No sense in condemning a whole company.

/ New holland TC 29 pitfalls and pricing #10  
So you are condemning all New Holland Tractors. In other words you were not happy with yours and then your friend was not happy with his and you sum it up saying New Holland builds some nice stuff but not as far as CUT tractors.

Let's focus on this particular tractor, men...

This one happens to be NH...but ragged out tractors are due to the owner/operator...not normally the manufacturer.