Buying Advice State Fair --- discounts,,,,timing????

/ State Fair --- discounts,,,,timing???? #1  

jack49

Tractor
JD 420, Kubota 2900
Love this Web site. Thanks.

My 420 has 'died', and will likely have to decide next week on new engine, or, buy a new garden tractor --or, almost new. Mow 5-6 acres, some at hunting cabin, blow snow on 200 driveway. Have larger utility tractor for big 'stuff'.
Young mechanic at my John Deere Dealer said to wait until the Fair (end of August) to get best deals. Other sources are ,of course, the dealer----private, Craig's List,auctions, Ebay,,,etc. Looking for the 500-700 series size area, AWD, wide deck,wide snow thrower, turf tires, chains. That's about it. I have a trailer for transport. I do the basic maintenance---fluids,filters,grease,belts. Other stuff---have to use a real mechanic.
Thoughts on which Deere,,,,,,or,,,, even other comparables???
Thxs for your advice and direction.
jack

ps: do you think a new engine in the 420 is worth it. Which engine choice? Recommendations on engine/install kits??

/ State Fair --- discounts,,,,timing???? #2  
Have you a good idea what the cost of the 420 repower is? Obviously a new unit will be alot more money. I would think it would matter what kind of condition the existing mower is in. If it has substancial wear you may prefer to go with a new unit.

I have considered an X749 purchase for next year as I am more interested in a better mower than another utility tractor.

/ State Fair --- discounts,,,,timing???? #3  
The State Fair of Texas is a little later than your state fair (Sept. 24 to Oct. 17 this year). I haven't been to the fair the last few years, but the last time I went, I know both John Deere and Kubota had large displays of their tractors with supposedly "fair discounts". Whether the prices were actually any better than you could negotiate other times is something I don't know.

/ State Fair --- discounts,,,,timing???? #4  
Over the years seen some good deals on tractors but not so on attachments unless hook up to tractors.

Lately notice some dealers won't display purchase cost,rather get to know you than talk price.

/ State Fair --- discounts,,,,timing????
Thank you gentlemen:

Dealer is digging around on his database to see what used 'packages' might be out there that he does not have on his 'lot'.
I guess 20 years of Minnesota Summers and Winters ain't all bad for that now deceased 420. Rode my son's new 500x over 4 acres....Very good cutting and , fast. Do not like, at all, the disconnect when one goes from forward to reverse and the need to reset it. Or, the cruise control feature (my land has dozens of obstacles). Or, the only up or down on the deck. Lawyers, I guess.

Enjoy,

jack

/ State Fair --- discounts,,,,timing???? #6  
Hi Jack. I own an X540. The safety feature that shuts off the mower is capable of being over-ridden by the operator. Simply pull up a little bit on the PTO button before you start to back up, and the mower continues to run. On mine, I hot-wired it to remove the safety feature completely, because I don't have any small children or dumb dogs.

I agree, the cruise control is crude.

Your last comment on the "only up or down on the deck" has me baffled. Mine is hydraulicaly lifted, and it works great. Maybe you could explain further, it sounds like there must be something wrong with that lift.

J,
thanks for the reply. Helpful ! My son's 500x (borrowed to cut grass while I am on quest to get my act together on what to do) has only the manual up and down deck,,,,as well as--I am told,,, manual snow shut control. Another Deere dealer (better more knowledgeable sales guy) showed me the hydraulics that your level 500 has. Duh, did the reverse/forward tip you suggested. Seems OK.
So,,, will go to Fair and ck out the inventory and other brands. I saw a mid sized Kubota at our county fair this week. Nice. Thinking of selling my large Kubota and getting something between the 500 sized tractor and my larger Kubota. I would likely break even on the full swap ,but, loose the big tractor.??
Other thought is the zero turn and a walk behind...
Thanks again, Stay Kool...

jack49

Thanks again,
the 18 hp B&S Vangard repower kit for my 420 Deere/Onan engine swap is about $1800 wo any labor. Same deal but at 30 hp level is about $2300. If I (or Son) did not do the work, my guess is about 5-600 for labor. Have not ck'ed out the Kawisaki or Honda repower "kits". Seems about the same prices,but, do not know any comparative infor.
The Dealer loaner ,,,who checked out my 420, loaned me a 425. Has 1000 hours on it ,, some cosmetic issues, bad seat, and bent forward slightly forward deck wheel (so, it cuts a bit off on one side). Asking 2700 with my 420 trade in.
BUt, my 420 snowblower does not fit on the 425. So, could be big expense to find a used blower,,,,and, a new one is about 3K.
Found commercial grade Toro zero cut ,60" with 2 demo hours on it= 4300 (about 900 discount with fulll warranty).New Walk behind snowblower is about 1800(said would give some discount).
So much for my saga. Stay cool..

jack49

/ State Fair --- discounts,,,,timing???? #9  
Sorry if someone has already suggested this, but I'm short of time and wanted to just note that Surplus Center has had some good new 19-20hp+ engines for sale for under a grand. Vertical or horz. shaft. Perhaps one of them could re-power your tractor? I would think 5 acres of mowing might want something more serious, though.