4 Tractor Comparison

/ 4 Tractor Comparison #1  

cjpembo

I'm trying to decide between the following four "compact", gear-driven tractors:

2010 JD 3005 4WD 27.5 HP 2000 lb ($12,200)
2010 JD 4005 4WD 40 HP 3200 lb ($16,950)
2010 NH T1510 4WD 30 HP 2385 lb ($11,500)
2010 Bobcat CT335SST 4WD 38 HP 3668 lb ($12,900)

Dealers:
4 JD dealers within 20-44 minutes drive of my house
2 NH dealers within 30-75 minutes drive
2 Bobcat dealers within 30-75 minutes drive

Concerns:
Bobcat is new to the tractor biz.
The Bobcat is built by Kioti.
I don't have a Kioti dealer within 100 miles.
The Bobcat and JD 4005 are 1000 lb heavier: will I have to wait until the ground is completely hard to mow? I don't want turf tires... would like to be able to plow snow.

Intended use:
Smoothing and mowing 9 acres.
Tilling large garden.
800' of gravel drive to maintain and plow.
Add a loader some day.

Property:
I live in KS: my property is flat pasture and there are no trees or rocks to clear. My property has a max 12' per 500' elevation change. Should I consider a 2WD JD 3005 ($10,000)? My neighbor managed to plow his gravel drive with an ancient 2WD tractor with chains last year.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Chris

Last edited:
   / 4 Tractor Comparison #2  
Everyone here will tell you to get 4wd..like adding 20hp..get the FEL ,you will regret not getting it,the Bobcat will be serviced by your dealer not Kioti.Check out the dealer ,service department,longevity ect.Lighter is better for lawns for sure,if mowing is your primary,turf tires aren't bad in the snow ,maybe better than industrials(R4).You can get by with the FEL and maybe a back blade for snow removal.Try them all,see what fits you the best.
Lots of good info here,do some reading.:)

/ 4 Tractor Comparison #3  
The New Holland has a lot of history to it. The nuts of bolts of that model go back almost 20 years (model 1320). Its one of the most solid, reliable machines they have made.

/ 4 Tractor Comparison #4  
With your acreage and 9 acres to mow (is this finish mowing, brush cutting or a combination?), I'd want a larger tractor.

Anyway...my choice would be the 4005 (formerly the 990). That tractor can handle the largest mower (at least a 7' mower, even an 8' unit) and cutter (6' cutter) as well as the other tasks.
As far as 4WD (or, in Deere parlance, MFWD)...well, a lot of folks did a lot of work (for a lot of years) with 2WD and chains when necessary. However, I'd much prefer that front wheel assist. It's a big help when using a front end loader or plowing snow. You won't need front wheel assist for mowing or tilling.

If you go for a 3005 (formerly 790) or the NH, figure on implements a foot smaller in width (6' finishing mower, 5 foot cutter)

Although I'm a Deere guy, that Bobcat/Kioti would be my second choice.

You wrote "Add a loader some day". I strongly suggest you buy a FEL as part of your initial purchase...that'll be the cheapest way to buy one.

/ 4 Tractor Comparison #5  
Turf tires do fantastic in the snow/ice.

Bobcat and Kioti are both made by Daedong.

Like Roy said, definitely buy the loader with the tractor. The larger finish mowers require front ballast and the loader is an effective way to do that. Particularly if the bucket is quick-dettach so it isn't in the way.

In general heavy is good for everything but mowing but I wouldn't trade away heavy for anything.

I also agree with Roy that I'd buy Deere then Bobcat. Search the New Holland posts. I'm not impressed with the build quality of the NH tractors but thats my personal opinion.

Do you work on your own tractor or will your dealer be servicing it? Deere's web parts interface is top notch and worth quite a bit in my tractor selection priorities.

/ 4 Tractor Comparison #6  
I think all the brands listed are good. I personally would go with the Bobcat, more bang for your buck IMO, but you also have to think about reliability of each brand. Do you plan on keeping this tractor forever or is resale value a concern for you?

I am also with the others on purchasing a FEL. Bobcat was offering a free loader with purchase if you had a coupon, but I don't know if that is still in effect. I have a Mahindra 3215 (32 HP) and it has done everything I have needed, except digging my drive out this last winter. I think if my industrial tires had been filled and/or I had chains on them I would have been fine. Some of those drifts were 6 ft deep.

Good luck on your purchase. You cannot go wrong with any of the brands listed.

/ 4 Tractor Comparison #7  
Bobcat seems to be the most bang for the buck. HP means nothing without traction so get the tires you want and weight will help that. Bobcat shines in this area. No, I do not own one but have looked at all the units you are and my choice is Bobcat for sure with a FEL.

Chris

/ 4 Tractor Comparison #8  
I'd rule out the Deere 3005 and the NH... too light in my view for what you want to do.

I like the 4005, it's a solid machine but be ready for a manual non-sychro box. You say you don't want a FEL but Roy is right and I'll bet you'll regret not getting one if you let it go by.

Just my two cents,
Rob

/ 4 Tractor Comparison #9  
The Bobcat is the nicest/fanciest tractor on the list, I think, despite its middle range price.

An FEL is extremely useful.

A lot depends on what kind of mowing and how often. A bigger tractor will power a wider mower and maybe go faster, but it will also generally mean a tighter turning radius. If you're going to mow all 9 acres weekly, you need something good sized. If you're mowing 1/2 acre weekly and 8 1/2 once a year, you won't need as much.

I recently bought a Kioti DK40SE and am 100% happy with it so far. I previously owned a Deere utility that I bought new, and have shopped the options from Kubota and New Holland twice now, as well as Kioti (I only shopped Deere the first time - while they make quality, the prices for their CUTs are so high it wasn't worth my time to shop them this time around.) FWIW, keep in mind that the Deeres on your list are bare-bones tractors made to a price point, and a lot of the fancier features are really, REALLY nice to have.

/ 4 Tractor Comparison #10  
Deeres on your list are bare-bones tractors made to a price point, and a lot of the fancier features are really, REALLY nice to have.

I'll second that. I have "load match", "auto cruse" and "motion match" along with an "ehydro". It's night and day over a non-syncro manual. The hydro spoils you... BAD!

Rob