Selling 3 tractors to buy one nice one, need advice...

/ Selling 3 tractors to buy one nice one, need advice... #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
This is my 3rd time writing this because for some reason my computer doesn't want to play nice :confused2:

First off thanks to everyone on here for providing a wealth of information and contributing to rapid decline of productivity at work:laughing:

Here is the purpose of my post: My father and I have 3 tractors (well 2 tractors and a backhoe) and the problem is, the backhoe is too large and heavy for what we use it for, one tractor is nice and we like it but doesn't have a bucket, the other tractor has the bucket but no 4wd and is virtually useless without the weight box on the back. I know we could add a bucket to one or fill the tires on the other or many other options, but we want to sell these three and buy one nice used one.
I need some help on pricing the tractors to put them up for sale? Then I need some help deciding on what implements and attachments I will need and use most, and finally deciding on a new tractor to run the attachments. I already have a tractor in mind that I want but I would like to see if it matches up with what you pros think. :D

First tractor in the lineup is an '86 Case 275 30hp 4wd, no bucket, turf tires, runs great and has older beat up brush hog that works good but isn't pretty. We mostly just use this tractor for brush hogging. We don't need turf tires as most work is in the woods or rough field.
I was thinking of asking around 6000-6500, what are your thoughts???

Next up is the Case 380 with bucket, 2wd runs great but looks beat up from being used, it has about 1500-2000hrs on it. It has a HUGE weight box on the back, the tires don't have much tread left on them. This is a lot more powerful and heavy than the other one. I believe its one of those David something tractors????
really dont' know what to ask for this one....

Lastly the late '70's Dynahoe 190-B 2wd backhoe. Anyone who has seen these knows it is a BEAST! Albeit a slow beast. Very heavy, very powerful, very slow. Has a cab and runs great, starts quick every time but has normal wear and tear of a tractor this age. I really hate to see this go because it will do anything you ask of it but it is just too big for what we need. Sorta clueless on what to ask for this one...
Once we sell these 3 tractors we'll put some money with what we get and frantically look for a good condition used one.

I'll work on Part 2 to this post now...

/ Selling 3 tractors to buy one nice one, need advice...
Part 2....

On to the next objective, based on the info I give, I'm hoping you guys can confirm my decision on the next tractor we buy.

I MAY be buying some land next door to my parents, it is owned by a family member and even if I don't buy it I will still be working it. It is all wooded. There is 27 acres of mixed hardwoods, some trails, a few small fields, a little wetland, and a good stand of pines.

Then there is my grandfather's land in NH (I live in MA if that helps) about 2 and a half hours away. He has 50 acres of similar land but smaller trees, more hilly (but not so much that I couldn't use a tractor, just careful in some areas, only up and down) he has some old fields that we want to clear and bring back the blue berry fields. There will be A LOT of timber thinning and brush hogging, as well as firewood cutting, box blading, and land leveling. In addition we will use it for a million other things like snow plowing (bucket is fine for this, small driveway) moving dirt, and also helping around the small bandmill. I will definately be lifting logs of around 1800lbs or so with forks to get them on the mill, so I will need that capacity on the loader.

I'll try to wrap this up and answer any other questions that you guys have, I'm trying not to ramble.:D We aren't that familiar with using any implements other than the brush hog, we haven't done much land maintainance with the 'right' tools until now, we want to learn and make life easier. We also use a 3pt log splitter, and will use a farmi winch quite a bit, also tow a log arch, and will want a backhoe, maybe not till the future.

I was thinking of a JD 4520, the main reason being because I have used my neighbors 4720 and really like it. I like the brakes on the left and the seperate fwd and back hyrdo pedals, this is just personal preference. Also a major factor is that he has a backhoe for his and told us we could use the attachment anytime if we got a similar machine. Does this sound like its in the ball park of what I am looking for?

I realize since we'll be looking at the used market we can't be too picky, but I have to start somewhere right??

/ Selling 3 tractors to buy one nice one, need advice... #3  
I don't know what your old equipment is worth. It'll vary from region to region, but the internet is a great tool for advertising.

The 1800lb FEL lift will dictate how small you can go. I was looking at a 4720 because i wanted 2000lb FEL, this 4720 was pushing that, or close enough. I liked the physical size of it and the weight class it was in. It's a lot of tractor and still be able to put it behind a pickup and haul easy. Which is what your looking for, i think.

No cab in summer, and maybe a softside winter cab? The tractor I got now has a factory cab, now that I've used it for a while, the cab is limiting where i can go. Especially in the woods. Need to be careful. I got a heck of a deal on the unit, couldn't pass it up, and this was the way it came. My unit is another frame size and hp bigger than a 4720. I do not need to haul it, so the extra weight is not a problem. It's about 8,000lbs w cab and FEL. The 4720 is lighter and shorter. They are a little pricey, but....

Good luck, this is my unit

Attachments

• 2tractor 111.jpg
    2tractor 111.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 177
   / Selling 3 tractors to buy one nice one, need advice... #4  
Sorry, I can't help you on the pricing, but check some sites on the Internet and you should be able to come up with a good idea.

I have a dealer that I trust and recently traded my old tractor in for a new one and my old one was sold before I got my new one. I got a fair price and the dealer made a few bucks. The salesman also gave me an idea of the value of some other things I had. I have bought used from this dealer previously and they have always been very helpful.

As to your uses, I dislike the pedal placement on John Deeres, I own one, I won't be buying another, but as you say it is a personal thing and all my other tractors have the right foot brakes, so... That being said, John Deere makes excellent tractors and the size you mentioned would be my choice since you are going to have to haul it and you want the HST. John Deeres hold their value really well, so the price is probably going to be pretty significant and some prefer to go new due to the low financing, so your situation will dictate how you go. I have purchased two tractors this year, one used and one new, just depends on what you need and what you can find. Good luck.

/ Selling 3 tractors to buy one nice one, need advice... #5  
I would look at Tractorhouse, Machinefinder and Machinerytrader to get an idea of how to price your equipment. You will need to do the research comparing your equipment and condition to like equipment.

As far as the 4520 is concerned it is a very capable compact tractor and I am well pleased with it. I have mine setup for 3pt implement work with front weights and rear wheel weights, topntilt and IMatch.

I would recomend that you give the Deere 110tlb a close look with a fully optioned hydraulics package. This would come with a third valve on the loader for operating a grapple. The removeable backhoe with thumb is optional too. The 3pt hitch with top and tilt is great for finish grading too. Another good feature is the lower belly pan to protect the underside of the tractor. I have used my 110tlb to do similar work as you have described with great success. You can find used units too just make sure these are equipped with the full hydraulics package.

/ Selling 3 tractors to buy one nice one, need advice... #6  
I don't know what your budget is, but you might want to look at new when you go to buy. With the economy the way it is manufacturers are running some pretty good deals. 0% financing for 72 months or free loaders or a variety of other deals. I looked for used for a while, but couldn't find any deals on something that was good. If the machine was good they wanted almost as much as new. I ended up buying a McCormick and the loader on it was free. You might want to look at trading all three machines in too. This would save the hassle of trying to sell them and you would have your new when before the old ones left. If nothing else looking around at different manufacturers and models might help you decide what you want on the tractor for options. Good Luck

I don't know what your old equipment is worth. It's a lot of tractor and still be able to put it behind a pickup and haul easy. Which is what your looking for, i think.

No cab in summer, and maybe a softside winter cab? The tractor I got now has a factory cab, now that I've used it for a while, the cab is limiting where i can go. Especially in the woods.
Good luck, this is my unit

That's a heck of a rig you got there! Ideally I would prefer the larger frame size but I think for woods the smaller size like the 4520 would be more manueverable, I do really like the Hydro as well.

Your right I am looking for something that I can tow back and forth from MA to NH, plus the weight of the backhoe and a couple attachments. I have a F-350 diesel that I will use for that.

It's interesting you say that about the cab. That's one of the few complaints I read about is the full cab when in the woods. I honestly would love to spend the extra money for the cab, but I am worried about it getting in the way when in the woods, also for now, since we really don't have any attachments yet, I think I should skip the cab and spend the money on the attachments, then in the future we could always sell the tractor and buy one with a cab, if we felt we REALLY wanted it. However, just to note, I do prefer a cab, just trying to get the most for the money....

Which brings me to the next decision. Since my neighbor has the backhoe for his 4720, and we can use that when we need it, it is a major factor when deciding on going with the deere. We talked with him and he suggested for us not to buy the same attachments he has, and we can all share and use each others attachments (tractor attachments that is, sorta sounded funny) :laughing:

The TLB is interesting and I actually haven't looked at that much, I didn't realize you could take the backhoe off of it?? I am gonna take a look at that as well. Since I mentioned getting a good value, what are the alternatives to that same size tractor, around 50hp and hydro drive? As mentioned earlier, I do like the JD pedal arrangement and left side braking, however I can compromise if I need to in order to get a better 'value'

Forgot to mention, as to buying new I went to the dealership a few weeks ago to check that out, they did have the 0% financing but ended around now. I saw a nice 4320 on craigslist for 21k, it had about 600hrs if I remember correctly and I thought that sounded like a great deal (maybe 2006 or so) but come to think of it, I was comparing that tractor to the one I checked out at the dealership, which was a cab model, so I obviously wasn't comparing apples to apples.

I am having a hard time convincing myself NOT to buy the cab model. I do a lot of work outside in the winter and I can't imagine how nice that would be. However, I keep telling myself to skip the cab and use the money wisely on attachments, after all a tractor with a cab is no good if I'm just driving around in the snow with the heat on, with no attachments to use... we do have a budget, I'm thinking around 25-27 or so is what we wanna spend, I'd really like to buy used because it seems like although the tractors hold they're value, I could get a good deal on a used one that already comes with attachments. ALthough I could be wrong here, maybe it all evens out if I bought new and just bought used attachments?

Ahhhhh, so many choices!

I do like the idea of the 540E option on the new tractors though. One thing is for sure I found the right place to help me decide!

/ Selling 3 tractors to buy one nice one, need advice... #9  
Piston,
FWIW, I bought the 110tlb without the cab installed and put it on myself in one day. I have a Laurin Eclipse cab and really like it. Removing and replacing the backhoe is easy and quick too. Since you stay in the cab to operate the hoe and have the electric controls to reposition the hoe from the rear seat position it is a much better setup than the 4520 with a 485hoe.

I do alot of clearing, cleaning and landscape work and have never wished I did not have cabs. I have wished I had more implements but slowly I am getting what I want.:D

/ Selling 3 tractors to buy one nice one, need advice... #10  
I am having a hard time convincing myself NOT to buy the cab model. I do a lot of work outside in the winter and I can't imagine how nice that would be.

Ahhhhh, so many choices!

A cab might save your life in the woods. Lately I've seen a few pics on TBN of limbs that have fallen on an OS tractor - fortunately no one was killed. Few days ago, I clipped a rotten low poplar branch with the ROPS on my OS and it fell on my head - not a huge branch, but enough to give me a reasonably good whack.

I've read quite a few negative comments on cabs in the woods and used to agree, but lately I'm thinking a cab might be a good idea or at the least build a cage to provide protection from falling objects.