Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PTO questions

Hello Im looking at a JD3720 cab & Bobcat CT440 Cab & Mahindra 4510 Cab Tractors, and one of my many uses besides snow blowing,Hay baling with a mini baler, brush cutting, is to have a 30+hp PTO generator to keep my animal's water trough as well as my house powered during winter power outages.

From what ive read some of the tractor manufacturers have a PTO cut off switch in thier seats, would those prevent me from a pto generator without me in the tractor? If so do either of these 3 have this automatic shut off?

forgive me im pretty new at this so you shall find more newb questions because when i need to buy something $20-30k i ask ALOT of dumb questions. i only want to do this once for a very long time

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: PTO questions

I don't know about the models mentioned, but with my Kubotas there is a procedure which allows use of the PTO while you are not present. I don't think you can do this with the JD, but may with the others.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JDs:

I have a JD 3720 cab and you can use any of the PTOs without being on the seat. I do this all the time with my rear PTO chipper. You just need to follow a few safty steps...like put in N, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 9973720wb19 View Post
    I have a JD 3720 cab and you can use any of the PTOs without being on the seat. I do this all the time with my rear PTO chipper. You just need to follow a few safty steps...like put in N, etc.
    What other saftey steps? so am i able to do this without jimmy rigging stuff.... i dont like to jimmy rig things ever.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75

Quote Originally Posted by Covfam

What other saftey steps? so am i able to do this without jimmy rigging stuff.... i dont like to jimmy rig things ever.
    Standard stuff - JD includes it in the owners manual

On my JD 4520. I have to have the parking brake set and be off the seat to engage the PTO.

D.
    ----------------------------------
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Registered Texas Longhorns
    http://www.ddrlonghorns.com/
    Follow us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/DDRLonghorns?ref=ts

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Quote Originally Posted by 9973720wb19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Covfam View Post
    The JD has a procedure for the REAR PTO only to be operated off-seat. The Mid-PTO can never be operated off-seat unless the seat switch is modified.

Here is a link to the online manual: OMLVU20031_L8
    John Deere 4110HST
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.

John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Thanks for the info that helps alot!, like i said im a newb and not very mechanicly inclined so i never jimmy ricking things and i read another post earlier about how people would byepass the autoshutoff by rewiring and other stuff, i did not want to do that just to use the Rear PRO generator.

Like i said my jobs that ill need the tractor are for snowblowing/plowing, rough cut mowing along fenceline, pulling a star Mini Baler, and other haying implements, Fence post digging, boxgrading and a 30hp PTO generator.

THE JD3720 cab is nearlt 1,000lbs than the mahindra 4510 cab and the bobcat ct440 cab tractors. for the jobs i listed above does that 1,000lbs make any difference? to be honest if it doesnt ,the JD would be easier on my half ton truck to pull on the trailer since the nearest dealer of anykind is 60 miles away except cub cadet wich im not interested because they only have a cheap dealer bolt on cab & not a from the factory Cab.

next question is JD lists the 3720 Cab, 3520cab,3320 Cab all at the same 3,700lbs, how can that be? wouldnt the bigger engines weigh more?, if not is there a real advantage of the JD3720 cab over the JD3520 Cab for the jobs i listed above since they both have strong enough PTO for my needs?

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

next question is JD lists the 3720 Cab, 3520cab,3320 Cab all at the same 3,700lbs, how can that be? wouldnt the bigger engines weigh more?, if not is there a real advantage of the JD3720 cab over the JD3520 Cab for the jobs i listed above since they both have strong enough PTO for my needs?
    They have the same engines, just different turbo's and injectors IIRC, also probably different ECU programs.

I also don't think the 3x20 series is suited for bailing/haying work short of pulling a wagon or a rake. But I am certainly no expert in that area.
    John Deere 4110HST
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.

John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75

Hello Im looking at a JD3720 cab & Bobcat CT440 Cab & Mahindra 4510 Cab Tractors, and one of my many uses besides snow blowing,Hay baling with a mini baler, brush cutting, is to have a 30+hp PTO generator to keep my animal's water trough as well as my house powered during winter power outages.

From what ive read some of the tractor manufacturers have a PTO cut off switch in thier seats, would those prevent me from a pto generator without me in the tractor? If so do either of these 3 have this automatic shut off?

forgive me im pretty new at this so you shall find more newb questions because when i need to buy something $20-30k i ask ALOT of dumb questions. i only want to do this once for a very long time
    How much baling and mowing do you plan on doing?

I would thinking a 4320 cab or so would be a better fit.

D.
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Registered Texas Longhorns
    http://www.ddrlonghorns.com/
    Follow us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/DDRLonghorns?ref=ts

Cutting/baling 3 acres with a Star mini round baler (6 acres of field that ill be rotating cutting/grazing on) Total property is 9 acres with 6 of it the field.

THis is the linky to the Mini baler Compact and Mini Round Baler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast