Buying Advice TYM vs LS?

/ TYM vs LS? #1  

tdkg

Hello,
I have just recently joined, and as of yet have no tractor. I have been actively reading threads here and doing research online, and know that I want a 30-40 hp tractor.
I don't have a lot of land (under 2 acres). If it was all cleared, I could get by with a smaller tractor, but I need to clear lots of brush, move debris from an old homesite, dig out some stumps and then get lots of fill dirt and gravel and move it to where it's needed, plus maintain 3 separate gravel driveways.
I live in an area with only one tractor dealer within 30 miles. This dealer carries TYM and LS. I am looking at a TYM 353 HST or and LS i3030HST or an LS R4010H (HST). Which is the better route to go? Or should I consider other brands (this would mean going 75-150 miles to buy JD, Kioti, Kubota, or Mahindra).
I have heard that it's best to go with a dealer nearby if possible, but should this dictate what I get or is it worth my while to travel and hope I don't need lots of service?
Thanks for your input!
TDKG

/ TYM vs LS? #2  
If you never have issues, then the dealer being 300 miles away would be pretty meaningless. You only need to stop by and get filters and such once a year or so.

BUT.... should you have any issues, you'll be glad to have your dealer nearby.

Now, how are you going to keep this dealer honest with his pricing? You have to have a comp from another matching dealer to compare.

LS is selling/ has sold under many names which makes their parts broadly available, I guess. If New Holland chose them, that says something positive to me, anyhow. Have you compared the two? Features, creature comforts and operation? I'd start there.

/ TYM vs LS? #3  
Around this area, a couple of reputable dealers have picked up the Tym line, but I see nothing of LS. Based on the reputation of these dealers I guess I would go with their choice. All but one of the dealers around here are 30-45 miles from me, and only one can tell me when a delivery truck might be headed my way with attachments/ implements that I want to buy, or have bought. I'm kind of glad that the dealer I bought my tractor from always seems to know when that will happen. You might want to use that kind of probe when dealing with unknown dealers, and see what their response is. Distance makes little difference if the dealer has the facilities, and equipment, and desire to support their customers. My dealer, for example, has a service truck, or two that are all set up for service in the field so the one time I had work that needed doing they just sent that over, and did the work in my driveway.

/ TYM vs LS? #4  
Another thought, FWIW.

I have no dealer, of any color, within 50 miles. Soooooo, I took a different tack, perhaps. Orange is 75-90 miles either direction and Green about the same. The lesser brands are even farther, although there is run down, messy Mahindra dealer an hour away.

So, I bought quality. Right or wrong, I figured the better the tractor make, the fewer the possible issued anyhow. So far, it has worked out pretty well. I guess what I am saying is that even though dealers may be an hour or more away, don't discount the reality that you gotta be happy with your purchase and one day, there might be a re-sale issue and for sure, there is a life-time of reliability to consider. For sure, check out at least 3 or 4 "colors" before you plunk down big bucks on any tractor.

/ TYM vs LS?
Thanks to all who have responded so far. I appreciate it!
I certainly do plan to check out several other brands before purchasing. Most of the tractors I have been looking at are in the same price range ($18K-$20K) with loaders. That seems to be the going price in western Oregon for a 30-40 hp HST tractor no matter what the brand. I'm sure in some areas there are better deals, but since I need to finance, I have a bit less negotiating power.
I do plan to price the tractors my local dealer carries at another dealer's store to see if my local dealer is offering me a reasonable deal if I decide to go with a TYM or an LS.
I have been leaning towards going with proven quality vs local availability. There is a Kubota dealer a couple of hours away with a L3700 HST with Loader for $19K, and I am very confident Kubota will still be around many years from now.
That being said, the new line of LS tractors are essentially the same tractors that New Holland is selling. They are the exact same color blue. They seem to be very sturdy and have a quality finish. I'm fairly confident that even if the local dealer stopped carrying LS, I could go to the New Holland dealer for parts.
The TYM is appealing as well, because parts are readily available in Oregon, since their western headquarters is in Redmond, Oregon. The local dealer said that they could usually get parts in by the next day if they didn't have them in stock.
I am planning to go drive 4 or so brands next week. Hopefully that will help with my decision.
Thanks again for the advice.

/ TYM vs LS? #6  
I would print out the spec sheet for both tractors and loaders and compare that side by side. You will see things like both have Mitsubishi engines but the TYM has more HP according to the specs. The LS loader has more lift capacity. Doesn't look like the LS has a rear standard remote hydraulics but the TYM has one. Other things are sure to pop up.

Not sure what the price difference is between the two. I think both machines would suit you well and provide an excellent value for your dollar.

-Edit
If the cost difference is little to none on the Kubota vs the TYM or LS. That would be my choice.

/ TYM vs LS? #7  
Taking them for a test drive is a great idea. You want one that fits you well and your jobs well as you will likely own it for many years. I have a early TYM T330hst and love the dual hst pedal. The rocker pedal hst I am not very fond of. That is where driving them you will find what fits you best. Bucket visibility from the operators seat is another point to look at if you will do a lot of loader work. After the test drives you will find it easy to narrow your choices down.

/ TYM vs LS? #8  
Hello,
I have just recently joined, and as of yet have no tractor. I have been actively reading threads here and doing research online, and know that I want a 30-40 hp tractor.
I don't have a lot of land (under 2 acres). If it was all cleared, I could get by with a smaller tractor, but I need to clear lots of brush, move debris from an old homesite, dig out some stumps and then get lots of fill dirt and gravel and move it to where it's needed, plus maintain 3 separate gravel driveways.
I live in an area with only one tractor dealer within 30 miles. This dealer carries TYM and LS. I am looking at a TYM 353 HST or and LS i3030HST or an LS R4010H (HST). Which is the better route to go? Or should I consider other brands (this would mean going 75-150 miles to buy JD, Kioti, Kubota, or Mahindra).
I have heard that it's best to go with a dealer nearby if possible, but should this dictate what I get or is it worth my while to travel and hope I don't need lots of service?
Thanks for your input!
TDKG

Welcome to TBN! I certainly wouldn't limit my choice to only those brands because that is the closest dealer. I am of the belief that if you buy a quality tractor, most likely, the times you need service will be few and far between. I have always owned Kubota... I'm not trying to push them on you as there are many quality built tractors out there. I have never needed service of any sort. If you do your own preventative maintenance, chances are you wouldn't either. If you would prefer to take your tractor in for things like oil changes, etc. it might be different. I know a lot of people preach dealer, dealer, dealer... but the only time I've ever needed one was to buy a tractor. It may be worth it to you to ask some of the further away dealers about getting service and potential charges. I also would look at the possibility of hiring out the bigger, initial jobs you need to do. Even dozers can have a hard time removing stumps. A 40 HP tractor on 2 acres may be a "bull in a china shop" once the big work is done.

/ TYM vs LS? #9  
I too would test drive and price a lot of models (but then I do that with about every thing I buy). And I wouldn't necessarily let distance be the primary determining factor. I bought from over 250 miles away and saved thousands. I've also had a couple of issues. But, the dealer came to me to fix and only charged for travel time in a service van - much cheaper than pick up and delivery.

Now on size, why do you think you need as much as 40 HP? HP is needed when running power hungry attachments like mowers and tillers. It isn't needed all that much for brush, digging, or other ground engagement stuff. Your situation sounds a little like mine: small acreage but heavy dirt/brush work. This lead me to look for heavy instead of HP. You could do quite well with something like a Kioti CK20 or its Bobcat twin CT220. Lots of weight and excellent hydraulics/pump. Or go up one size to the CK27/CT225(?), which adds a lot more weight on a bigger frame. The latter is what I did. I've moved close to 900 tons of dirt and stone, dug trenches all over the place, put up fences, dug out stumps, piled and chipped a lot of brush, and so on. Have never needed more HP. Either of these is more than you'll need, and should be less way less than $18K.

There's nothing wrong with TYM or LS, nor many other brands. The quality of the dealer is most important.

/ TYM vs LS? #10  
A 40 HP tractor on 2 acres may be a "bull in a china shop" once the big work is done.

This might be off topic, OK completely off topic, but has anyone else seen the Mythbusters episode where they actually put a bull (and then multiple bulls) into a "china shop"??? If I remember correctly, the bull(s) did not break any china!!!