Kubota vs Massey

/ Kubota vs Massey #1  

smcd_us

I have been looking at the Kubota M8200 and the Massey Ferguson 481 tractors. They are both close in size with the Kubota offering a few more HP and about 1K more in price. They both seem to fit my needs and I have discussed with both dealers the advantages of one over the other. Neither dealer really could say that one was better than another. (Interesting since both wanted to sell their product) Anyone have any experience with these tractors and could offer some advise?

/ Kubota vs Massey #2  
I've driven both. The kubotas generally have a few more bells and whistles, while the mf is a tried and true 30 year old technology and tractor design.... usually a bit cheaper per hp than other brands.

Personally, I like mf better.. but then the mf dealer down here is about 20% cheaper than the local kubota dealer.

Soundguy

/ Kubota vs Massey #3  
in my imeadiate area the large farms seem to have a lot of MF , don't know why , just seems so. although i have been noticing a few m series kubota's latley.not saying one is better or worse than the other, can't really make an informed comment on either. which do u like best and why?

/ Kubota vs Massey #4  
MF's are heavier built than the Kubotas (basing on weight). They are also noisier and have awesome torque. I haven't been close to M series yet but i'll back up MF has a real farm horse.

Alex

/ Kubota vs Massey #5  
He is right, weight is (almost) everything especially if you're doing any heavy-duty work. I would assume with that size tractor that you are. Ask both dealers to come out and bring the tractors out so that you can try it with your roughest piece of equipment. As already stated, Massey has history of being solid and dependable. Not to down Kubota, but I personally feel that no diesel on the market can compete with the Perkins diesel. There's no preheat needed, just crank and go! Get them side-by-side and judge for yourself.

/ Kubota vs Massey #7  
Redstone, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most of the warmup time is for the hydraulics - especially on a hydro. So the "no warmup" engine might not mean no warmup.

/ Kubota vs Massey #8  
Alan,
I think that by saying pre-heat, he meant as in not needing glow plugs etc. before starting the engine. The Perkins engines are very easy to start, even in pretty cold weather. If that’s not what he meant, he will tell us, but I‘m sure it is.

/ Kubota vs Massey #9  
I'd go valtra too. They're getting popular in this area and tend to take away the spotlight from john deeres and New Hollands at shows. Luckily the dealer here sells masseys and Valtras so one can compare.

/ Kubota vs Massey #10  
But when they DON'T start and u use
either, plan on an in-frame major.
Bobcats around here are noted for
this FLAW.
I have seen this first hand.
I'll stick w/ my 710 Deere if it turns over it
will start.
Don't know about the 35D, it sits in heated garage.