Buying Advice Cub Cadet Z-Force 44, or Toro Z4235?

/ Cub Cadet Z-Force 44, or Toro Z4235? #1  

Homegrown

Hello, New here.... Nice forum !

I need some help. I am in the process of starting a VERY small lawn care business. By that I mean maybe 4- 8 yards per week. All being very small yards, less than .5 acre. Mostly just the older folks in my neighborhood, and some family etc. I have found a used Cub Z-Force 44" with 260 hours, and also a new Toro Z4235 for the same price, and I am not sure what would be the best choice.
The Toro has the V-twin Kawasaki 22hp- new - $1909 (refirbished at HD)
Cub - 20hp Kohler courage V-twin, striping kit, extra blades, and a utility dump cart. $1950

I am leaning toward the used cub for the simple fact that the Deck appears to be far superior. The Toro deck is just your average residential deck. The cub has the fabricated steel deck.

I have read some negative comments about the Kohler courage engine, and that has me slightly discouraged about the Cub....

I am supposed to buy one of them tomorrow, and am at a loss to which is the best choice. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet Z-Force 44, or Toro Z4235?
Anyone????

/ Cub Cadet Z-Force 44, or Toro Z4235? #3  
I guess that this is a factor. Getting a used machine can be both good or bad. Yes it has the better deck but there are other things to note. Was it regularly serviced? with +200 hours, that seems like a lot for a residential mower. But then again, my Deere L118 has 300 some hours on its briggs and straton engine and runs like new. You also have the risk of buying someone elses junk. Why is the seller selling it? are they willing to haggle lower? just my :2cents:

I did haggle them down on the price, he was asking $2500 for the Cub. Here is the ad,
Cub Cadet ZForce 44" Zero Turn
I have talked wiht the guy, and actually went and mowed with the cub. It runs like new, and it has only mowed this gentleman's yard since new. He is apparently well off, and just bought a new(er) house. His home is on a golf course, and from the looks of it.... well. he is not hurting for cash. He said he is going to buy a 60" cub for his new yard. He has all the paper work where the mower was serviced at the kubota/cub dealership. He doesn't seem like he has much experience in the tool / do it yourself department.
Anyone else??

/ Cub Cadet Z-Force 44, or Toro Z4235? #5  
I did haggle them down on the price, he was asking $2500 for the Cub. Here is the ad,
Cub Cadet ZForce 44" Zero Turn
I have talked wiht the guy, and actually went and mowed with the cub. It runs like new, and it has only mowed this gentleman's yard since new. He is apparently well off, and just bought a new(er) house. His home is on a golf course, and from the looks of it.... well. he is not hurting for cash. He said he is going to buy a 60" cub for his new yard. He has all the paper work where the mower was serviced at the kubota/cub dealership. He doesn't seem like he has much experience in the tool / do it yourself department.
Anyone else??

from the sounds of that, the cub may be the better deal. There is the benefit of the better deck, dealer service, well maintained machine. It sounds like a good buy. :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly JD3720. I was leaning toward the cub, but was on the fence. The fella with the cub is even going to deliver it tomorrow! Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to stick around and check out the forums. Good info here!