Dealer Poor dealer service

/ Poor dealer service #1  

jtheise4

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1643 & Allis-Chalmers D14
I am simply amazed that certain dealers remain in business. I stopped tonight at [dealer name removed] on my way home to get an oil filter for my Massey Ferguson 1643. The parts department didn't immediately know the number for the filter, so they called someone and after about 10 minutes they determined that they had the filter in stock. The parts department woman brings it out and tells me it will be $25 and change! For a filter that should cost no more than $7. I told her no thanks that I'd get an off brand. She then SNAPS at me, Go right ahead an ruin your engine! I just smiled, told her to have a nice day and walked out. I have news for her...the factory installed filter is made by Denso. Not like AGCO frreaking makes oil filters. They simply buy them from some manufacturer who puts the AGCO logo on it. Just really frustrates me when certain dealers try to take advantage of people by charging way too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Poor dealer service #2  
Likely it is not the dealer setting the price, albeit they do get a cut for maintaining the parts dept. and having staff to wait on you.
Not the TBN way to hang out the laundry by naming dealer names, IMO. :confused3:

Sorry you expected a cheap price, but hope you found the right one (be interested in what that filter number is and what it costs from Denso or AGCO).

For a "fun" job, everyone should spend some time behind the parts counter at a dealer. There are high expectations of their ability to come up with the right parts. :D IMO
And not making excuses for every part person behind the counter either. :)

/ Poor dealer service #3  
Sorry to read about your bad experience with your dealer. $25 for an oil filter is just plain highway robbery. The dealer I bought my New Holland tractor from sells orginal NH filters, with the synthetic filter material less than the aftermarkets ones. They are about $7.50 each if I remember correctly. I also needed some hydraulic hose for my front hydraulic connection. I went to Tractor Supply. Not in stock, but I ordered it, filled out the form to mail to me when it came in. Never to this day have I received that form stating that the hose was in stock now. I left TS, and drove to my dealer. The hose was in stock, 4000psi instead of 3000psi. The outer covering was a very tough, and abrasive resistance cover. The TS hose was just rubber. The dealer hose was $4.00 more for each one, yes! just $4.00. That was almost 5 years ago. I buy all I can from my dealer, because he is there when I need him.

You should also read the oil filter study before purchasing aftermarket filter. Or better yet, buy New Holland filter for you Massey.;)

/ Poor dealer service #4  
Just don't come back crying when you ruin your engine!

/ Poor dealer service #5  
And here I thought I had the only BAD dealer service. I hope this isn't a trend for Massey:(. They already are outnumbered in dealers across the US. Let's not make it any worse people;).

/ Poor dealer service #6  
And here I thought I had the only BAD dealer service. I hope this isn't a trend for Massey:(. They already are outnumbered in dealers across the US. Let's not make it any worse people;).

I don't think it is..I don't have a Massey, but the dealer around here has a stellar reputation.

/ Poor dealer service #7  
I am simply amazed that certain dealers remain in business. I stopped tonight at [dealer name removed] on my way home to get an oil filter for my Massey Ferguson 1643. The parts department didn't immediately know the number for the filter, so they called someone and after about 10 minutes they determined that they had the filter in stock. The parts department woman brings it out and tells me it will be $25 and change! For a filter that should cost no more than $7. I told her no thanks that I'd get an off brand. She then SNAPS at me, Go right ahead an ruin your engine! I just smiled, told her to have a nice day and walked out. I have news for her...the factory installed filter is made by Denso. Not like AGCO frreaking makes oil filters. They simply buy them from some manufacturer who puts the AGCO logo on it. Just really frustrates me when certain dealers try to take advantage of people by charging way too much.

They took the time to get you your correct filter and charged you what is probably retail price.

I'm failing to see the poor service.

Don't like the retail price? I get that. But where was the poor service.

/ Poor dealer service
Don't like the retail price? I get that. But where was the poor service.

I'll give you that. Bad choice of words on my part. More accurately, rude service. My beef was being talked down to when I said I didn't want the filter. I wasn't rude, nor did I complain about the price. I simply said I didn't want to pay that much.

I don't buy the fact that the price is set by AGCO argument either. I buy John Deere filters for my mower, which the filter is very similiar in size from two different dealers and they both charge about $8. $25 for a piece of sheet metal and paper is nuts!

/ Poor dealer service #9  
Those oil filters are expensive. Last one I got was around $20.
You should buy some industrial filters, I got a hydraulic filter for my excavator, $248, and it was a fleetguard in the excavator brand box. I checked my suppliers and I can get the same fleetuard for $56.
That's robbery. At least the MF filter has an AGCO logo on it.
I buy name brand as much as possible/feasable, or get a reputable filter such as Fleetguard or Donaldson.

/ Poor dealer service #10  

She "snapped" because they had spent all that time finding the right one and then you didn't take it. Doesn't excuse, but does explain. Should it have taken them all that wasted time? Of course not. Perhaps a better system/training would have lowered her frustration level.

Nonetheless, $20 for an oil filter seems absurd in my universe. Wouldn't mind paying a reasonable price, but if, if that filter can be bought in a Fleetguard, Hastings/Baldwin, or at a different AGCO dealership etc for $10 or less, I'd not buy it either. Plain and simple. Find out what the "reasonable" price is for that filter to be sure that particular dealership was just blowing smoke. Is it possible that is pretty much was that costs? Somehow, I have my doubts.