Electric ATV/Utility vehicle?

/ Electric ATV/Utility vehicle? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
I'm looking for a rechargable electric ATV or Utility Vehicle. I want something quiter than the gas powered models I've seen all over the place these days. Don't need a lot of speed (20 MPH would be plenty). I do need enough power to get up and down some decent hills while pulling a small cart (or with the back end full, if it had a built in bed). Mostly will be running in open fields and on trails through a wood lot. Trails can be rough in spots, but I'm not talking about any serious "stump jumping".

Any thoughts on where to look?

John Mc

/ Electric ATV/Utility vehicle? #2  
john: i'm no expert on the subject of atv's but don't beleive i ever heard of or seen an electric atv. have u done a search for them?

/ Electric ATV/Utility vehicle? #3  
Some of the Sporting Clays shooters use souped up golf carts, with lifted suspensions, bigger electric motors and stiffened chassis to get around. Most have trailer hitches. You might try one of those forums.

/ Electric ATV/Utility vehicle? #5  
John Mc, I believe John Deere has an electric Gator. I have no idea of cost or specs though. Hope this helps.

Bill C

/ Electric ATV/Utility vehicle? #6  
Not sure about an atv, but I have worked for a company that was researching electric utility vehicles.

The utility vehicles had a roughly golf cart look to them, but with a stretched rear end for payload... perhaps 8-10 foot vehicle length. In the rear, alont the sides of the bed, were the battery compartments, and they doubled as a row of seats.. more or less.

Frame was square aluminum tubing, with aluminum panels, and expanded metal in places.

Had a 3 speed electric motor. My friend and I worked on the prototype unit, and built the motor speed controller. ( basically a 3 position switch, with a pulse width modulated ( mosfets ) output to the drivetrain.

Had rudimentart shocks / springs.

Would do about 30mpw highway, and had a decent range.

Tires were small though.. I would opt for larger tires for rougher terain.. helps overcome the stall factor.

Unfortunately, the business didn't find a market here, and folded.

Soundguy

/ Electric ATV/Utility vehicle? #7  
John Deere makes the e-gator. It has all the same specs of the gas Gator but it's electric. I drove one and really liked it. It wasn't short on power and was super quiet.

/ Electric ATV/Utility vehicle?
Cowboydoc -

Do you recall what those e-gators went for, ballpark? If it comes down to choosing between an electric utility vehicle and a back hoe, it's going to be a tough choice...

John Mc

/ Electric ATV/Utility vehicle?
Thanks for the Club Car link, Rat. Some of them look interesting. I may look at some of their used/reconditioned "Lift Kit Cars" if I can find a dealer around here.

John Mc

/ Electric ATV/Utility vehicle? #10  
John_Mc, Below is a link for the e-Gator. MSRP $7699. Hope this helps.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://products.deere.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prnbr=1993W&prmenbr=8416&PrevCatRef=46199&PrevCatcgnbr=GATORHO&path=HO&pcat=109849>http://products.deere.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prnbr=1993W&prmenbr=8416&PrevCatRef=46199&PrevCatcgnbr=GATORHO&path=HO&pcat=109849</A>