Buying Advice Mitsubishi D1500

/ Mitsubishi D1500 #1  

Lynn Howell

Tractor
Mitsubishi D1500
I'm looking at a Mitsubishi D1500 tractor with a 48" bushhog. The asking price is $1700 including delivery of about 10 miles. It has good metal except paint is thin, decal is pretty much gone, white on front around headlights is chipped badly with one headlight busted. All four tires look new with no cracking and holding air. It has 92 hours. The owner cranked it up quickly with no problems, drove it around the yard, raised and lowered the bush hog. Everything worked OK.

When the owner first cranked it, it was noisy. Sounded kinda like a rod was knocking. Then it leveled off and got quieter. Is this noise normal for a cold diesel cranking?

I have read the forums in reference to this tractor. Parts problems and no manuals. But, owners seem to like them.

Is this a deal for me or should I keep looking? I have seen similar Ford tractors, but twice the cost. Should I go for it or save for Ford or Kubota Compact?

I would appreciate feedback. Thankyou.

/ Mitsubishi D1500 #2  
I'm looking at a Mitsubishi D1500 tractor with a 48" bushhog. The asking price is $1700 including delivery of about 10 miles. It has good metal except paint is thin, decal is pretty much gone, white on front around headlights is chipped badly with one headlight busted. All four tires look new with no cracking and holding air. It has 92 hours. The owner cranked it up quickly with no problems, drove it around the yard, raised and lowered the bush hog. Everything worked OK.

When the owner first cranked it, it was noisy. Sounded kinda like a rod was knocking. Then it leveled off and got quieter. Is this noise normal for a cold diesel cranking?

I have read the forums in reference to this tractor. Parts problems and no manuals. But, owners seem to like them.

Is this a deal for me or should I keep looking? I have seen similar Ford tractors, but twice the cost. Should I go for it or save for Ford or Kubota Compact?

A diesel tractor with a mower can't get much cheaper than that if it runs well. I believe the 1500 was a grey-market, so you will need a dealer that is knowledgable on parts and service. Probably most engine parts are available. The Mitsu is a durable tractor. I would think the 1500 is nearly 30 years old, so don't believe the 92 hours. If it is a 3 digit hour meter, it maybe 1092 hours, or 2092 hours, etc.

You might see if an experienced tractor or diesel guy can listen to it run for you to make sure the knock is normal. Also, have the buyer start it for you cold. If it has been warmed up, go back the next day.

/ Mitsubishi D1500 #3  
I have a R1500. Not sure what the difference is if any? Bought it last year completely restored for $2500 with a 48" brush hog. A few things to be aware of:

1. Check the PTO. I'm betting it's 1 1/8". Which means there's a coupler to get the size up to 1 3/8" for the brush hog. I sheared two couplers in one day. You can find them online for $8-10 good to have a couple extras.

2. Find a way to get some weight on the front. Unless you are on completely flat ground that brush hog is a little heavy for the 1500's and your front end is gonna float a little.

3. I've posted questions about mine in the Mitsubishi forum. There are a dew dealers on here who have parts and are willing to help you just have to catch their attention.

Good luck. :)7

/ Mitsubishi D1500 #4  
Oh forgot. I was told that knocking sound is normal on mine. Since the guy rebuilt the engine I'm inclined to believe it. As long as it goes away after a few seconds.

/ Mitsubishi D1500 #5  
I looked at a Mitsubishi years and years ago, and I think it made the same kind of noise. I think it is similar to "Yammer-Hammer" that the 2 cylinder Yanmars have.

I don't think you can go very wrong for $1700. If the tractor dies, you can probably get a couple of hundred for it as parts or possibly scrap, and the bushhog could be resaleable for a couple hundred, so your exposure is only maybe about $1300 or so.

Good luck and take care.

/ Mitsubishi D1500 #6  
Another thought, there were a few early Kubotas as well as a few early small Mitsus on which the PTO turned backwards. If it has a spline other than the 1-3/8" 6-spline standard shaft, then you need to check rotation. Generally there are adapters (as mentioned above) to go from one sort of spline to another, but if the PTO spins backwards, that is a problem.

/ Mitsubishi D1500
Thanks to everyone for the help in making a dicision about this D1500 tractor. I have plenty of time I think since it has been for sale for several weeks in a rural community sitting on the side of the road.

But, should I hang in and wait for a good deal on a Ford 1700? These tractors are a little heavier and they will be easier to find parts. I have seen them in my area for $2000 to $2500. I'm assuming the Ford 1700 is as good a tractor as the Mitsubishi D1500?

I was told by the local Massey Ferguson tractor dealer that if I buy an old tractor I should definately get diesel. Gas powered are to much trouble.

I do have a Ford/New Holland dealer within 30 miles of home.

/ Mitsubishi D1500 #8  

When rod or crank bearings start to wear, it is most noticable when a cold engine is first started. The engine has cooled down and the thin oil has escaped the bearing surface and returned to the sump. This is accelerated with worn bearings and more of the residual oil is lost. After warming up, the engine will quieten down and may not be noticable.
I have seen many engines, both gas and diesel, behave like this and lasted a long time---and some didn't

If I had any dought about the engine, I would pass:thumbsup:
Just thank about it---Even if you could do the possibley needed engine work, it would be expensive--If you had a mechanic do the work, it would possibly cost you more then the machine is worth.
Why take a chance:confused:

/ Mitsubishi D1500 #9  
Hello;
I have a D1500 the PTO shifter is stuck and wont shift. The shift for the transmission works ok. Little hard to get in gear and grinds alittle but pops in gear. Any help on what I can do to the PTO shifter? Also need a radiator if anyone may know where I can find one. Keeps over heating and have to let sit and refill with water and go again. Doesnt help living in texas with the heat wave we are having. Please help