decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360?

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360? #1  

check 6

Gold Member
Tractor
L 3560, 008-3 excavator ZD 1211 mower
New Member. About to buy a small Kubota tractor and can't decide which one. Had a 2200 several years ago and found I did not use it that much as I was always taking the loader off and on as well as the reduced ground clearance with the belly mower. Traded for a Kubota ZD 1800 mower which I plan on keeping. But I need a small loader etc.

Actually think the 1860 will do everything I need, moving dirt and minor grading around my yard as well as being a power wheelbarrow. Yes I know an expensive one but with several discs missing in my lower back a necessary one. So looking for suggestions from experts ( or just folks that have taken this step)

I might add, that while my lot is but one acre I do periodic work on our community 2300 x 100 ft grass runway, even though an eye issue has caused me to quit flying after 45 years

Reason for Kubota over others is great local dealer and I'm already familiar with the product line. Thanks Jack

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360? #2  
The price point on the 1860 is just too sweet to pass up, imo. Your situation/need is unique.

If you are going to continue to mow with your zero, the 1860 is the less expensive wheel barrow by $1000 or 10%. That savings is significant. Plus, you can still use 3 pt attachments for grading, tilling, plowing, rear finish mowing, rakes, etc.

I too have severe back problems. I used to use an inexpensive big box mower, but now use an RFM. The ride on a BX is far superior. I don't have a back ache even after an hour in the seat.

A bonus is that since you wouldn't have an MMM deck under it, you can increase your ground clearance and improve the over all ride by using larger wheel/tires from the larger BX.

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360? #3  
Welcome to TBN. For the needs discribed the BX1860 would be just fine. I own the 2360, use it for snowblowing and wanted the 60in mower but for some reason I was more comfortable on the 1860. Whatever one you go with it will be the handiest tool you've ever used.

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360? #4  
Sorry to hear about your back, and not being able to fly. I was never a pilot, but missed the "stick time" I got in the old Cessna O-1's my unit had overseas. I'll bet you have lots of great memroies up there though, hold them close.

I would go with the larger BX just for the tire size, and stronger loader. I noticed much improvement in ride when I went from a GT with 24" tires to one with 26" tires.

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360? #5  
Either will work well for you, I went with the BX2660 in large part due to the better seat for my back, but that is a pretty good jump in price over the 1860.

I also owned a BX2200 and while it was a great tractor, the FEL was harder to remove. The 60 Series loader is extremely easy on/off in just a few minutes; gotta love it.

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360? #6  
1*The price point on the 1860 is just too sweet to pass up, imo.
If you are going to continue to mow with your zero, the 1860 is the less expensive wheel barrow by $1000 or 10%. That savings is significant.
2* Plus, you can still use 3 pt attachments for grading, tilling, plowing, rear finish mowing, rakes, etc.
3*A bonus is that since you wouldn't have an MMM deck under it,
4*you can increase your ground clearance and improve the over all ride by using larger wheel/tires from the larger BX.
1*Good point .
2*This was one of the one of the deciding factors in why I chose A BX1500 over something like a JD garden tractor.
3*But without a mower you expose the tranny fan and filter to damage from sticks rocks etc.
4*After 3 years of owning both BX sizes with both sized wheels I can tell little if any difference between ground clearance and the over all ride on either tractor.

Welcome to TBN. For the needs discribed the BX1860 would be just fine. I own the 2360, use it for snowblowing and wanted the 60in mower but for some reason I was more comfortable on the 1860. Whatever one you go with it will be the handiest tool you've ever used.
I have both sizes.

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360?
I really appreciate all the advice. I just got back from looking at both of them side by side. Configured the same ie Front loader, box blade and grill guard there is about $1500 difference out the door. I agree that the 1860 should be all I need BUT I do like the slightly bigger engine compartment of the 2360 as well as the more solid loader. Not that I will use its 100 lbs larger capacity but it does lift higher also. not for putting dirt overhead but for lifting boxes to higher storage shelves in my shop (you know all those Christmas decorations one must have) The other factor in the equation is age, mine not the tractors. At 68 I don't know how much longer I will be doing this and it appears there is a wider resale market for the 23xx (comments) So it appears I'm leaning towards the 2360. Come on guys talk me out of it. Thanks Jack

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360? #8  
I really appreciate all the advice. I just got back from looking at both of them side by side. Configured the same ie Front loader, box blade and grill guard there is about $1500 difference out the door. I agree that the 1860 should be all I need BUT I do like the slightly bigger engine compartment of the 2360 as well as the more solid loader. Not that I will use its 100 lbs larger capacity but it does lift higher also. not for putting dirt overhead but for lifting boxes to higher storage shelves in my shop (you know all those Christmas decorations one must have) The other factor in the equation is age, mine not the tractors. At 68 I don't know how much longer I will be doing this and it appears there is a wider resale market for the 23xx (comments) So it appears I'm leaning towards the 2360. Come on guys talk me out of it. Thanks Jack

Hey Jack, it's your money. Shoot, we'll have you in a BX2660 for comfort or a B2620 for no little HST fan to worry about. We'll get you an even stronger loader than that whimpy 2360.

You started out saying you weren't going to mow with it. 5 years from now, reselling either BX without a deck is going to be a little "different" anyhow.

See where this goes? If all you want is a wheel barrel with a diesel, you can spend $1500 less on a 1860, or dang, the skies the limit!:D

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360?
Hey Jack, it's your money. Shoot, we'll have you in a BX2660 for comfort or a B2620 for no little HST fan to worry about. We'll get you an even stronger loader than that whimpy 2360.

You started out saying you weren't going to mow with it. 5 years from now, reselling either BX without a deck is going to be a little "different" anyhow.

See where this goes? If all you want is a wheel barrel with a diesel, you can spend $1500 less on a 1860, or dang, the skies the limit!:D

You are convincing me that the 1860 is really all I need. I notice you use wheel weights for counter balance to your front loader, I was going to use a four ft box blade. I was also going to ( whichever tractor I get) have them weld an "L" bracket to the back of the blade so I can put a 2" ball in it. I notice also you have lug tires whereas I was going to get turf ones so as not to tear up my lawn. What else should I consider? and what if any issues have you had with the tractor Thanks Jack

/ decision time Kubota BX 1860 or BX 2360? #10  
Jack,

Actually, I have R4 industrials on mine. I sold the wheels/tires that came on to a professional landscaper who runs BXs and chews through turf tires.
He gave me $400, 'cause they were brand new. Then, I ordered the R4s from Kubota dealer, whole goods. Cost $420. So, I was only out $20. It was just what I wanted to do. You'd be fine with the "stock" ones.

Yes, I use a rear implement, like a back blade for counter weight leverage if I am going to do any heavy lifting. The wheel weights, for me, are great in snow or much lighter lifting. I did not want to fill my rear tires. Didn't want the weight. To each his own on that deal.

Other than the tractor coming with a slight leak from a hydro line fitting that needed tightening, it has been 13 months of pure heaven using it. It's never been back to the dealer. What can I say.