Drum Mower or Disc Mower

/ Drum Mower or Disc Mower #1  

Anonymous Poster

I see drum mowers selling from $1,800 to $2,800 and disc mowers from $3,000 and up, which is more durable? They seem to all work on the same principle. Maybe the drum mower is for smaller tractors. I need some insight.

/ Drum Mower or Disc Mower
Hayking, i have not looked into powered drum mowers but i have looked into the drag behind. Take a look at promow i haven't bought from them yet but for the next property I will. Look at www.4apromow.com the guys said the only drawback over disc type is if you let the grass get to long.
If the grass is to long the mower kind of glides over the top, so they only work good if the grass is kept short. When we had a sod farm all I remember was we had to keep the blades sharp, and thats alot of blades! If you keep things short it could be a good choice and can cut up to either 9 or 11ft? and they have a low hp requirement. Take a look at their web page, also they are nice folks on the phone. If no dealer near you they will sell direct.

tony

/ Drum Mower or Disc Mower #3  
Hayking, I dont know that much about the difference, However, If you will email sweettractors.com or call 270-528-3323. I understand sweets are the nations largest ecommerce hay equipment dealers. I have purchased equipment from them and been on thier lot and Ken or Greg will always have time to answer your questions.