Buying Advice hours on engine

/ hours on engine #1  

ccraft

I am a home owner with 3.5 acres of flat land with trees. I am comapring two used ZTRs

Ferris IS 1500z with 780 hours 21 Kawasaki 48 deck..

My question is: For this type of mower is 780 hours a lot of hours?

The other mower is a 2006 CUB CADET 23 kawasaki 60 in deck with 244 hours Zforce 60 looks brand new.
These mowers will cost me the same money 2800.

It seems everyone has a favorite. I am looking for a mower that will be around for a long time, but can't afford a brand new one.

Currently mowing with Sears 42in lawn tractor

/ hours on engine #2  
Cannot comment on the machines themselves as I do not know much about ZT mowers. If the one with 780 hours has been properly maintained it should still have a lot of life left. Figure about 2000 hours as the average life of a small gas engine. I have seen some with considerably more and running strong, have also seen some with a lot less and are junk.

Up front the Cub Cadet sounds better but as stated I am no authority on ZT mowers.

/ hours on engine #3  
The Ferris is the way to go if it all checks out. You are comparing a S-10 to a F-350 Diesel. They are in totally different classes. The Ferris is going to hold that value easily while the Cub will lose money every time its used.

Chris

/ hours on engine #4  
ccraft,

Either one will be a huge upgrade for you but I have to agree with Diamond Pilot the Ferris is has longevity on its side.

The Cub ZForce 60 about 850 Lbs, the Ferris 1500 about 1050 Lbs - the difference is in the overall construction not just the deck. The Ferris depending on the year has independent suspension and is a commercial grade mower.

Pro's for the Cub are the hours, its cleaner, and less wear and tear. The pros for the Ferris are beefier construction, components that have more longevity. That said if the Ferris has not been maintained (oil/fliter/hydro oil changed/deck & blades beat up) then the Cub may be the better choice for you.

How do they drive - smooth or rough? How does the transmission respond? The early Cubs had some issues with the Hydro pumps between 200-250 hours typical.. They use similar components as the Ferris but I dont think they are quite as well "sorted" as the Ferris or other commercial ZTR units.

You should also use the search function on TBN and also Google - there are many that like the Cub's and also those that have issues. Not saying Ferris don't but it the minority.

Carl

/ hours on engine
Thanks for all of the replies.

I am going to try to the get serial number off of the ferris. I heard that you can trace the machine on Ferrisindustries.com to find year and some additional information. The story on the ferris, the maintenance mechanic is replacing clutch and bottom seal. This makes me wonder if it has been "ridden hard and put up wet". Both machines were bought from a bank rupt lawn and tractor company.

/ hours on engine #6  
ccraft,

The Kawa motors have the date of Mfg on them - gives you a basic build date of the motor but not the install date.

For Ferris - you need to call them and they will tell you the in service date and any warranty $ expended on the unit. Cub I dont know..

The mower clutch understood and I surmise the engine seal or pump seal or? If the engine seal then check this out closely.

It sounds like you should just buy them both for $5K and sell the one you dont want! Also try each one out for several hours if possible and decide from there.

/ hours on engine
Carl
It was the engine seal, it had been leaking oil from the bottom of engine. There was visible oil on the bottom of engine and frame where engine mounted to tractor. Top part of engine very clean. He said ran well just a slow oil leak. He said clutch was slipping.

/ hours on engine #8  
Ccraft,

Makes sense since the engine would leak oil directly onto the clutch that this would slip / fail. if he is replacing the seal and the clutch you should have no worries, but I would try to get him to come down a bit or give you a 30 hr warranty on the repairs. (the hr meter runs when the blades are engaged not just when engine is running)

On the Cub machine most likely has the integrated Hydro Gear 2800 or EZT Hydro Pump and Wheel motor all in one unit. If this is the case I would do search on the web - you might find some were prone to problems in the 05-06 timeframe. To replace one of these is $900+ labor. If the Cub has separate Hydro and Wheel motors then its the HD version same as the other commercial units.

The Ferris has the hydro pumps separate from the wheel motors - typcially Hydro Gear Pumps and Parker or Hydro Gear wheel motors. They are about $400 ea for a pump or motor and almost all the commercial machines (Scag, Exmark, Hustler) have a similar setup.

Once you do some more homework on the Cub and he gets the Ferris fixed run them both then decide or have him bring them both out for a test mow on your lot and decide.

/ hours on engine
Carl.

Thanks, that is good wisdom. I will continue to research.
Thanks again.