Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?)

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?) #1  

VTSasquatch

I am looking at 2 used diesel tractors. One is a Case/International 245 (21 hp gross) with 4wd and a loader. The other is a Ford 1320 (20 hp gross) also with 4wd and a loader. Assuming the machines are about the same age and i the same condition, can you give me an opinion on which one you would buy?

Both look decent but I am not sure if there are common problems with either model. Another concern I have is finding a place to have service done and availability of parts. What do you folks think?

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?) #2  
Those are SCUT for sure.. not CUT.

really close on hp.. 1 hp either way.

the ford will have about 9% more 3pt lift capacity.

either COULD have live pto, depends.

I can't talk about the parts on the cih/mitsubishi.. but I know some front end parts for scut fords are harder to find than larger models.

cih could be 86-90 I believe, and the ford 20 series is somehting like 87 thru late 98

which one is in better condition?

go look up a front drive shaft for each and see if either are available?

how are the prices in comparison?

ford sn is on the trans bellhousing aft of the starter if you want to get the date.. see which is newer.. etc..

check trans type for both..

soundguy

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?)
Thanks for the info.

I am pretty new to this so please bear with me. What does SCUT mean" CUT? Thanks

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?) #4  
Subcompact Utility Tractor / Compact Utility Tractor

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?) #5  
SCUT sub compact utility tractor
CUT compact utiliity tractor

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?)
Well the cih sold so I am just looking at the Ford. I wasn't able to find a drive shaft for it online but I am not the best internet researcher. The Ford is a Hydrostatic drive.

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?) #7  
Those are SCUT for sure.. not CUT.

I gotta disagree with you here, Soundguy...CUTs in the early to mid 90's (even up to the mid-2000's with the Kubota "B" series) were 19 to 25 HP.
My old Deere 670 was 19 gross HP/16.5 PTO HP and it sure wasn't a sub-CUT.

As far as the OP's choices...I'd suggest a New Holland dealer is probably closer then a Case dealer (but he has to determine that), so I'd lean toward the Ford.

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?) #8  
If it's rider lawnmower sized.. :) to me it's a scut :) even if it is 25hp... it's the 'sub-compact I'm thinking about.. IE.. size.. not hp.

i remember MF had a small literally.. lawn mower rider sized 25 hp machine out.. looked SMALLER than a 25hp craftsman lawnmower... by hp alone some people might call it a CUT.. but .. an average height person could straddle it at the seat...

soundguy

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?) #9  
Ford 1320 Tractor - Attachments - Specs

Looks like a CUT to my eyes. 2400 lbs? That's pretty darn heavy.

Frankly? I would LOVE to have one.

/ Looking at 2 compact tractors (which one?) #10  
Since these machines size and equipment are so closely matched it's time to go to the three most important criteria buying used machinery:

1. condition
2. Condition
3. CONDITION

When buying any vehicle or machine new you can analyze specifications, color, features accessories and all sorts of things, but when it comes to buying new, condition trumps all these things if the items are close in size, function and price.

My $0.02,