how to contact a moderator

/ how to contact a moderator #1  

CFHartman

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deer 2210
I have been looking over this site for an hour now trying to find out how to contact someone about starting a new forum. on trouble shooting small engines. We have a 20 hp Kohler engine at a cemetery I help mow. When it get's hot it won't start till it cools back down . If we had a small engine forum I could maybe get an answer to what is wrong.

/ how to contact a moderator #2  
Just post your question over in the General Lawn and Garden forum.

Steve

/ how to contact a moderator #3  
I have been looking over this site for an hour now trying to find out how to contact someone about starting a new forum. on trouble shooting small engines. We have a 20 hp Kohler engine at a cemetery I help mow. When it get's hot it won't start till it cools back down . If we had a small engine forum I could maybe get an answer to what is wrong.

In the meantime I have a 20 HP Murray lawn tractor that does the same thing..and I found if you let it idle for about 4 or 5 minutes before you turn it off ..it will start right back up but the problem is if it stalls out when it's hot then you are right, I have the same problem...have to wait 20 minutes or so to get it started back up..I bet it is in the carb. but what do I know ? maybe someone else has the answer..Do post it in the Lawn and garden section and we will both get an answer..:)

/ how to contact a moderator #4  
As far as your current problem, I think smstonypoint has given the best answer. As far as a new forum, it's not the moderators, but the administrators, you would need to talk to. You can (1) post your request in the News/Feedback forum or (2) you can send a PM to "Muhammad".

/ how to contact a moderator
Thank you Bird. We can always count on you for good info.

/ how to contact a moderator #7  
You have had two replies from Moderators, intermediaries between contributors and the site owners.

The owners maintain several web forums. It is extremely unusual for them to reply directly to forum users, especially new users.

You can give direct contact a try but do not be disappointed if you do not hear back.

Just post your question over in the General Lawn and Garden forum.

/ how to contact a moderator #8  
As Bird said, to make a suggestion about a new forum, start a discussion in the News/Feedback forum.

And, as also suggested, small engines get quite a good number of views in the lawn and garden forums.

Hope that helps.

/ how to contact a moderator #9  
I'm guilty of doing this also but this thread originated in 2010.

/ how to contact a moderator #10  

The first question that needs answering is just how experienced are you with small engine repair. If your small engine experience is turning the key and starting the engine, look for a repair facility now. No one will be able to provide you instructions on the internet on how to solve your problem with engine stalls when hot.

The first thing you need to do is determine if the plug is getting a spark when the engine dies when hot. Coils stop producing current when hot. How do you do that? Take the plug out, use a pair of vice grips and attach the metal part of the plug to metal on the engine. Do not clamp onto the glass or porcelain part of the plug. Attach the plug wire, spin the engine over with the starter. While doing this look at the spark plug gap.you should see spark arching.

The stator for a Kohler engine is underneath the flywheel. The engine sheet metal has to be taken off, the flywheel removed to get to the stator. Most of the time the engine has to be removed to get the covering sheet metal off. stator for a kohler - Google Search

The second is to determine if the carburetor is getting fuel. Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor. Careful here gasoline will flash burn when spilled on a hot engine. Make sure you have something to catch the fuel. Got fuel when the engine is spun over with the starter. Yes good it is not a fuel problem. No it is a fuel related problem, look for the fuel pump.

Next you need to check compression. Do you have a compression checker? Remove the spark plug. Install the compression checker and spin the engine over with the starter. Do you get a reading of 90 or above?

Take the air cleaner off. Look at the throat of the carburetor. Spin the engine over is gas being blown up and out of the carb? If the answer to this is yes, the intake valve is stuck in an open position.