Skid Steer or Utility Tractor

/ Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #1  

VTSasquatch

Thanks for the advice on the Ford tractor.

The more I think about things I am now wondering if I should be looking at a skid steer instead of a tractor. Here is my situatuation: I bought a 130-acre property in the mountains. It is mostly forested but has a powerline right of way that cuts through it that is brush and weeds. I am looking to create wildlife openings and foodplots, maintain the gravel driveway, move dirt and gravel, clear some stumps, big rocks, brush and small trees and possibly clear some snow. I would also like to clear an area of young woods (logged about 10 years ago) to plant a small orchard of maybe 10-12 standard apple trees. While the property is fairly big, only an acre or two will be worked. There are some pretty steep places on the land in case that makes a difference. This is a forested plot, not a farm.

I already have a 4x4 atv (Brute Force 750i) with a trail-behind roughcut mower and a disc harrow. The atv is capable of mowing what little I do mow but I imagine a bush hog on a compact tractor would work better. The tractors I am looking at are from about 20 hp - 30 hp diesels weighing about 2,000 - 2,500 lbs. I don't want to spend more than about $7,000 since I will leave this at the camp (several hours away) and already have too many "work implements" (since we aren't supposed to call them toys). I noticed that some New Holland skid-steer loaders can be bought used in my price range that have 40+ hp and weigh over 4000 lbs. I imagine these would do a better job clearing woods/brush into fields. They are probably considerably less versitile though, and you never know what attachments you might want (like a bush hog, a log splitter, box scraper, etc.) that are more readily available for a tractor. Also, I am going to have to find a big trailer to get a 4,000 lb machine to the property (right now I have a single axle rated for 3,000 lbs gross and 2500 lbs net - enough for some compact tractors).

I have operated small tractors before (wheel horse and old cub cadet) but never one with a loader or a skid steer. What are the benefits and drawbacks to each. What would you do? Thanks

Last edited:
   / Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #2  
Well we are going to be losing our skid steer in a month and I am sorely gonna miss it. Granted mines a bit bigger then you're looking at (JCB 1110T 10k lbs) but frankly ya just can't beat it for cutting trails and moving dirt or anything else. As you've already mentioned tractors are more versatile but there are a variety of implements that will run off the skids hydraulics. Brush hogs and the like sadly no.
Skid steers are great for just pushing your way through and over a lot but I would highly recommend you try to find one with tracks as the wheeled versions are more unstable and the tracks give you more weight to work with.
I'm just getting used to using our new tractor before the skid steer leaves and as you said tractors are extremely versatile so I guess you really need to decide what's more important to you. Versatility vs. Muscle. :)7

/ Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #3  
You can run a bush hog on the Skid Steers. Have been using one all summer. They are a bit pricier than the tractor bush hogs but are typically sturdier. most of the price difference is due to hydraulic drive for the skid steer. You would need to match the mower to your skid steer hydraulics. My Skid Steer is short wheel base and I wouldn't recommend it on steep grades but some of the tracked models are reported to be more stable. Posted a utube vid of a mower like mine. It is a 72". Also have a saw with 30" blade that will cut down 14" trees in 1 pass or bigger trees if you can work both sides of the tree. I don't think a tractor would compare favorably with the same HP skid steer for digging/bucket work. I would guess a skid steer would cost slightly more than a comparable HP tractor. This will probably get this thread rolling but about the only thing a tractor will do better than a skid steer is farm tillage work.

YouTube - Quick Attach Brush Mower Cutter Skidsteer Skid Steer Bobcat

/ Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #4  
This would be a ideal time to rent some equipment. Both pieces have their own strengths and weak points. You will find that the skid steer can run a bush hog out front. Snowblowers,posthole diggers,backhoes,saws, trenchers,and the list goes on. A bigger two axle trailer will probably be needed for either choice. A utility tractor is great for tilling,plowing,skidding trees, or pulling a wagon. You should take the time to operate both types of equipment before purchasing. You have came to the right place to receive good advice on either one.

/ Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #5  
I have to say I never looked for a brush hog for my skid. Oh well. :)7

/ Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #6  
Skidsteers are great to have but I think you have to add more hp to a skidsteer to comapre to a tractor. I wouls also add that a common sized skidsteer would be about 70hp, that is one big enough to run a multitude of hydraulic attachments. As for the $7000 budget the skidsteer attachments are fairly expensive, I have that much in just a few skidsteer attachments for my 110tlb.

Neither the tractor or skidsteer is the better choice as an all in one but each have their specific pro's and con's. I prefer the tractor to a skidsteer because of seating position but thats a personal preference.

/ Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #7  
A friend did some work for us with his Gehl skid steer then we made arrangements to use a Bobcat 864 for a couple of months to do some dirt work and clear up storm damage in our woods. Both were tracked and were/are truly awesome machines. Based on our experience, I may rent one, but have no interest in sinking the money into one or sacrificing a tractor for one. As mentioned, the cost for a good one and attachments is pretty steep and you have to haul them everywhere while we just drive our tractors.

I also didn't like the way they tore the ground up and I had to go around with my tractor and smooth things out.

They work well for some people, just not us. I don't know anyone who owns just a skid steer.

/ Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #8  
I have had 3-4 CUTS and 2 larger skid steers. You have a lot of different tasks. I would choose the CUT for so many different tasks. The skid steer attachments for all those tasks will be $$$. The CUT will do a better job of maintaining the roads, mowing, pulling ect. CUT will also be much easier on the trails and less tearing up of the turf. If the CUT needs to have a FEL, your weight maybe higher than 2500 lbs. I also do not believe a skid steer is good in hilly or mountainous areas. Easy to tip over backwards unless you are well aware of its capabilities. A CUT with ag tires will have better traction for its weight.

/ Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #9  
I have had 3-4 CUTS and 2 larger skid steers. You have a lot of different tasks. I would choose the CUT for so many different tasks. The skid steer attachments for all those tasks will be $$$. The CUT will do a better job of maintaining the roads, mowing, pulling ect. CUT will also be much easier on the trails and less tearing up of the turf. If the CUT needs to have a FEL, your weight maybe higher than 2500 lbs. I also do not believe a skid steer is good in hilly or mountainous areas. Easy to tip over backwards unless you are well aware of its capabilities. A CUT with ag tires will have better traction for its weight.

I happen to have a utility tractor and compact track loader of similar hp. My JD 5525 has 91 engine hp and my Takeuchi TL150 has 97 hp. It's hard to compare them. With my 'extreme duty' 4 in 1 bucket on my Tak, it weighs in at about 12,800 pounds ready to operate. It's fine on the lawn if I have to make no turns at all. Even making wide turns with the wider than stock tracks on it, it is rough on the turf. It's not particularly tippy but neither is my tractor. Setup with FEL, HD skid steer bucket and bush hog, my tractor weighs about the same but if I have my R4 tires on it rather than my R1 tires, it's easier on the turf if the ground is hard.

I use the FEL on my tractor as a "feeler" when cutting in new trails on parts of my property I am not familiar with. I set the rotary cutter about 12" high and run with my bucket about 12" off the ground. That way I find hidden stumps and rocks with my bucket rather than my mower. After I have the trails roughed in with the tractor, I use my track loader to shape the trails the way I want them. My tractor will pick up somewhere around 3500 pounds or so high enough for me to move whatever it is off the trail. The Tak will do almost twice that amount. Rocks are really tough on tracks though. Although spinning rubber tires on rocks is hard on them as well, one tire generally won't set you back $3000 or so. Kind of hard to compare.

/ Skid Steer or Utility Tractor #10  
I use a skid steer moving snow alot on my job sit and it does do a great job no doubt, but get on a small incline and spin the tires and your done, or on a slop down hill sometimes even using your bucket won't get you free . The ground clearance isn't much and can get stuck pretty easy if you break though deep snow or ice especially if your not on smooth ground . I never used one with tracks and could see that would make all the dif.I would think that from what you say you want to do, a 4x4 tractor is your best bet ,just my 2 cents worth. good luck!!