JD2520 vs Kubota B2620

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620 #1  

yak651

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 530 (old!!)
I have 10 acres, finish mow about 2 acres, "rough mow" about 3 acres, garden of 2 acres. I have a Case 530 ag tractor i use for fall plowing, discing, prepping garden. Had a JD317 lawnmower but that is getting pretty worn. Will keep the ag tractor, looking for something to mow, landscape and take care of 700' long driveway. Also use 4-wheeler with plow for getting rid of the snow, works pretty good except when I get behind a 12" snowfall. Looking at the JD2520 with 62" mower, 200cx loader with 60" bucket and ballast box, price of$18,450 pretax. Also looking at B2620 with 60" mower, loader with 50" bucket, ballast box for $18,600 pretax. JD only 36 months at 0%, Kubota 60 months at 0%. I have the money saved to buy if I had to, but might as well use theirs...On the Kubota I can go up to the B2920 for $800 more, so would most likely just do that if I go Kubota. The JD2720 is $1700 more so probably wouldn't go up on that if I go JD. Also, will most likely go with a 60" box blade on both instead of the ballast box, be more usefull that just dragging weight around for about $750 additional for each tractor choice. For those that have purchased these tractors, what were your reasons for your choice and any regrets? Was thinking zero turn mower, but except for about 3/4 acre by the house rest of the mowing is somewhat bumby and don't think i would realize the speed gains of the zero turn (and the options I was looking at were around $6k used, comercial types, so spending that much might as well get something more versitle?) Sorry for the long winded post, but appreciate your opinions.

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620 #2  
Don't own either one but have read many threads on each and the biggest difference beyond ergonomics (which one fits you better) is the 3 speed transaxle in the Kubota vs 2 in the JD and the lack of position control on the Kubota but included on the JD. The other difference that some people find critical is the hydro pedal set up - rocker type on the Kubota vs side-by-side on the JD. I've had both and personally prefer the Kubota as it feels very intuitive to me. Have you test drove either or both? Definitely should do that before making a final decision.

There have been some reports of not being able to mow in hi range with the JD, particularly on uphill slopes. On the other hand, position control comes in handy for bush hogging as it will hold the 3PH at a set height. The Kubota hitch will tend to drift down and need adjusting periodically. Kubota does offer the B2630 which is a premium 26hp tractor that has position control and a few other creature comforts, but I think it will price out similar to the JD2720. Hopefully some current owners of each will chime in.

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620 #3  
I have the B 2620. Here are my thoughts-

1. My tractor spends 95% of it's time in Med. range. I don't know the speeds on the JD 2 range tranny, but I would want to make sure I could mow in high, unless the low range can go 4-5 mph.

2. I would like to have postion control, but truthfully haven't missed it bush hogging, finsh mowing, and using a landscape rake.

3. If you need the extra few horsepower, the B 2920 may be worth it-I think the biggest limit on the B 2xxx series is physical sizes of implements- you can't handle a bigger implement with the 2920 than you can with a 2620. Some applications-perhaps running a generator- the extra hp would be useful.

Good luck with your decision, I think either the JD or the Kubota will make a nice tractor for you and will meet your needs.

Will

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620 #4  
I have the Kubota B2920. I would agree with Will_C's comment about the 3 speed ranges. The middle range is the one I use the most. It is rare that I have to drop down to low and usually just for pretty heavy FEL work or if brush hogging really heavy stuff. High is good for getting from one end of the property to the other.

As far as the quarter inch valve goes, it only bothers me when I use the brush hog. It will not hold an implement at a specific height, so for mowing with a brush hog, it gradually sinks down in the front so you have to tap it back up. I put chains on mine which have improved it. But the quarter inch valve is very smooth to bring the arms up slowly or down slowly or you can bring them up fast.

As to the extra HP, I doubt that it makes much difference for ground engagement stuff as you run out of traction 1st be it using the FEL or box blade. I have a 5' rotary mower which it usually handles ok, but I had gotten behind on the mowing of some property that we own and have some lespedeza in there and it stuggled in there even in the low range. I think that was one of the only times the extra 3 hp would have made much difference vs the B2620.

The MMM that comes matches with them seems to be pretty rugged and if you aren't cutting rocks or brush, will go through a lot. It is suspended and does a pretty nice job of mowing.

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620
Thanks for your inputs, do the prices I list seem in line to what you have experienced? I have not demoed yet, I will not purchase before trying both, I hope to do that by this weekend.
For loader work, is it reasonable to expect these tractors to lift/move enough dirt to build approx 3' tall berms (digging from one area and placing in another area)? I realize it will take a while with the size of these tractors, just wondering on the reliability. I'm just used to old farm tractors and try to minimize the amount of time using the loader on them as it seems something will break everytime the loader is used.

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620 #6  
As for price, mine was over 2 years ago now, so don't know how relevant it would be. At that time the Kubota website lited the B2920 for $13449, FEL for $2820, and the 60" MMM for 2180 for $a total of $18449. I bought it for $17100 or a little over 7% off. I can't say I shopped a lot other than to compare to the similar JD which was more. If you are interested in Kubota, Barlows in KY ships and seems to get good reviews from those who buy through them in the Kubota section. I don't think you pay sales tax so offsets the shipping.

I guess as far as moving dirt, with these you will get reliability and 4wd, but give up some size and weight. They will certainly do it, but the buckets aren't huge, so may take some time. Many fill the rear tires with liquid for ballasting. I have not done this as I trailer mine a lot to the other property and did not want the weight or for just mowing. I do always put my box blade on when doing anything of significance with the FEL. Also, removing and reinstalling the FEL probably takes less than 5 minutes once you get familiar with it on the Kubotas. I alway take mine off for mowing around the house but I like it on when using the rotary mower as a counter balance.

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620 #7  
I purchased the JD 2520 earlier this year and the Kubota was one of the tractors I looked at. So far the 2 vs 3 speed transmission has been a non issue for me. I mow about 5 acres regularly and can mow in high with no problem. My property is relatively flat so I can't speak for someone mowing on hills.

I didn't think much about the position control vs 1/4 inch valve but my wife who grew up around tractors pointed out the difference. She would not consider a tractor without position control and I now know why. With both the bush hog, a blade and a tiller the position control is much easier to keep the implement at the spot you want it. After seeing the difference I would have unhappy without it.

The other consideration is the dealer. I had experience with the Deere dealer, they are 40 miles closer to my house and they have always treated me right.

Both tractors should work for you and as some of the other posters have said it comes down to preference, but I would try and test out both before making a decision.

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620 #8  
I had a 2320 with "only" low and high speeds and never once did I wish for something in between. I now have a 3320 which has three speeds and do find that I use the mid speed fairly often. I would choose the one with the better/closer dealer and the one that fits your body type or needs best. I think Kubotas are great tractors but have consistently found that the JD suits me better. Good luck on either one and let us know when you get it. :thumbsup:

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620
Alright, drove both today. Really is a toss up with the following observations:
JD2520:
like the quick detach bucket that the kubota didn't have
didn't feel the power problems in high would be an issue but if there were low seemed slow
Dealer further away by willing to p/u and deliver with and service issues for free

Kubota B2920:
seemed quieter than JD, but notice a "whine" when starting out that didn't notice in JD
dealer only 7 miles away
dealer had it set up like i asked it quoted (mower, tractor, loader, ballast box) - he really wanted me to take it today
loader bucket seemed small compared to JD (was 50" vs 61")

I think both would do what i wanted to do. So with buying new tractors, do you throw out prices that you would pay vs their quoted price? Both are about 10-15% off website listings

/ JD2520 vs Kubota B2620 #10  
You can convert the B2x20 buckets to quick detach by using the system for the B3200. Chuck in NH has done this and uses the Kubota forks.

The HST does whine especially when going up a grade. Going to a lower range reduces it. I guess mine does it from a standing start, but haven't noticed that much.

Good luck on your decision. Probably not a perfect solution, but probably not a terrible one either.