KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #1  

soquitumit

Hello all:
Here's my situation - I am a novice (willing to learn) and need a tractor for my 14 acre pasture where I plan to raise my two horses and experment a little with organic farming. My land is somewhat hilly to downright steep in places. I have settled in on the kabotoa mx5000 or the new hol. TN65. I cant seem to decide whether or not to get four wheel drive. My main choirs will be bush hogging, and I presume spreading lime, mucking stalls ect. I want the option to bust some soil if I decide to. My current thinking is to perhaps slightly overbuy rather than underbuy. The locals here in upstate SC tend to favor the Kobota. My wife says get the New Holland because she likes "blue". What the hey? Any advice?? Thanks

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #2  
soquitumit
Welcome to TBN. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I don’t have as large a tractor as you are looking at. But there are several threads on TBN with discussions about FWD versus 2WD. click the links below.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=genoperating&Number=176820&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>4WD Compact vs. 2WD Utility</A>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=photos&Number=97849&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>Why FWD</A>

When you mention mucking a stall. Unless you have a lot of room to maneuver in your barn, either one of the tractors you mention may make it tight to move around. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #3  
Get the NH and get 4wd if you plan on doing a lot of loader work, or if you are doing a lot of work when it is muddy so you don't tear up your pasture as bad. If all you were doing is brush chopping and a little tillage you could get away with 2wd and save about $5k. I have nothing against Kubota but around here I have never seen one except a compact and there is a lot of farms here. They make great compact tractors but I keep hearing their larger tractors are too light for the hp. Plus, if blue will make your wife happy, what choice do you have?

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #4  
If those are your only two choices I'd go with the TN in mfd. If it was only going to be a haying tractor I'd say go twd. But seeing as how you are looking for a multi-purpose machine,mfd is the only way to go!!

Now if you want a couple of other choices,Take a look at the M100 or "A" series from Valtra <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.valtrausa.com>http://www.valtrausa.com</A> or the new CIH JX series.

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #5  
Not that it matters to me,but I noticed you did not mention John Deere as a choice,is there any particular dislikes about them you have? I was just curious?New Holland or Kubota are fine tractors./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Happy tractor hunting!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #6  
I have an MX5000 with FEL and Rhino SE-6 shredder. So far I only have about 20 hours on it but most of those have been pretty tough ones (doing some clearing and cutting 2 inch saplings and brush). I like my machine to say the least. I almost got an L4310 but went bigger and was glad I did. I don't think manueverability would be a problem with it but that is just my biased opinion. If you can afford four wheel drive I would do it. The land I am clearing is mostly flat. Good Luck on your purchase.
Popeye

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #7  
I was having a ball clearing brush with the TN yesterday. I actually feel sorry for the tractor because of what I put it thru. I need a different tractor, I am thinking a MF 65 with screened in cage to protect me from the briars and branches as well as protect the tractor. I was cutting open a new section of land we just bought and it is thick in some places. Just be careful if you are pushing into brush as the brush and saplings will find their way into spots you don't want and it won't take much to tear off a hose or wire from your tractor as I have had numerous close calls and lost my pin for the stabalizer arm yesterday in the brush. Have fun though.

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #8  
i always advise 4wd, i just like the option of switching to 4 wd. but i need to ask, do u think u really need to go that big? those are some hefty machines/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif up here a lot of the bigger tractors seem to be case, NH or JD. don't know why just the way it is. please let us know what u decide and why?

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #9  
I agree, I have a NH1630 which is 27 hp. I till about 2 acres, cut quite a bit more, tear down trees, built up the driveway in front of the shop, which consisted of over 250 yards of dirt, and keep the snow off of the 700 ft drive in the winter. Granted, sometimes I would like to have a little more power when pulling dirt with the landscape rake, but switching to ag tires over turf would do almost as much to help the situation when I have to use 4 wheel drive.

I find that overall the size of tractor I have is quite good.

/ KUBOTAMX5000 OR NH-TN65 #10  
I went through the same decision making process in the spring and settled on the MX5000 without 4WD. My only regret is that I don't have more things to do to get more seat time in. I am a satisfied Kubota owner. I'm also not a foul weather farmer and don't need to be driving around in the slippery muck, so didn't want the extra cost or the extra weight compacting the soil of the 4 WD.

Good luck.