Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New farm needs a new toy

I recently purchased 70 acres of farmland 3 miles west of Sioux Falls, SD. The land is rolling with some perpetual wet areas, reeds and lots of volunteer trees. Our horse barn/machine shed will go up as soon as the beans come out and my wife and I would like to move out to the country in the next couple of years. My dad is a retired professional horse trainer and he and my mom will move out here next summer as well. We're going to raise and train our own horses (six or so), have a few roping steers, some goats for the kids and maybe raise our own beef. We'll have a long drive...around 400-500 feet. My dad thinks we should put up hay and alfalfa.

My dad also worked for New Holland in Grand Island, NE and thinks I can get a Case for cost. I sure like the Kubotas though. I'd like a tractor that can move big round bales, potentially be capable of haying, maintaining the driveway and trees, move snow and any other horse-related activity. The kubota salesman recommends the L5740 at a minimum if I want hydrostat or preferably the M7040. I want enough power, a cab, 4WD and a FEL minimum (doesn't everyone). I have just about every type of dealer nearby.

Sure would appreciate some direction.

Joe

Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: New farm needs a new toy

It sounds as though you have gotten some really good advice from your dealer. My choice would be the L5740 HSTC, but you can't go wrong with the M7040. I have an L5030 HSTC and if I ever wear it out, I will replace it with a L5740. I was thinking about getting as M7040 for my last tractor, but needed a little more power for my 10" rotary cutter and liked the hydraulic cylinders and other features of the M95/8540.

The hydraulic shuttle shift is the next best thing to HST at least to me.

We did not have very good service from our Case and after putting up with it for 12 years traded it on the kubota.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

My Dad calls tonight and says that he can get a retiree's discount on a Ford or Case. He claims the Ford will be better. So he recommended the T4040 or T4050. Not sure if I need the T4050's power.

Am I still on the right track?

Joe

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Quote Originally Posted by jskibi View Post
    My Dad calls tonight and says that he can get a retiree's discount on a Ford or Case. He claims the Ford will be better. So he recommended the T4040 or T4050. Not sure if I need the T4050's power.

Am I still on the right track?

Joe
    New Holland and Case are the same company at this time. CNH is owned by Fiat. Tractors are basically the same other than hood sheet metal, color of paint and Super-Steer that is available with some New Hollands. I would double check the pricing before I decided on one or the other though.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Big round bales are in the 2,000lb plus range aren't they? If so, this should steer you into size of tractor choices. I have a New Holland TN75. I think the FEL is rated about 2200lbs? Pretty close to that. Anyways, I have been stacking my firewood on 4 ft square pallets. Basically, about a ton of firewood on each pallet. I have forks, and it can easily lift the pallet, but if you put it up in the air, it's a little touchy. It handles it ok, but i wouldn't want anything smaller. My rears are loaded with rimgaurd and i had my 7ft bush hog on back for weight. Just my experiences, good luck

This is my ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2tractor-111-jpg  
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

From a power standpoint the Ford T4040 and Case Farmall 90 are the same. The Ford base unit is however more expensive. Considering not just the expense, are accessories and end-usability similar? Any reason to pick one or the other?

Thanks,
    Joe

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Quote Originally Posted by jskibi View Post
    I recently purchased 70 acres of farmland 3 miles west of Sioux Falls, SD. The land is rolling with some perpetual wet areas, reeds and lots of volunteer trees. Our horse barn/machine shed will go up as soon as the beans come out and my wife and I would like to move out to the country in the next couple of years. My dad is a retired professional horse trainer and he and my mom will move out here next summer as well. We're going to raise and train our own horses (six or so), have a few roping steers, some goats for the kids and maybe raise our own beef. We'll have a long drive...around 400-500 feet. My dad thinks we should put up hay and alfalfa.

My dad also worked for New Holland in Grand Island, NE and thinks I can get a Case for cost. I sure like the Kubotas though. I'd like a tractor that can move big round bales, potentially be capable of haying, maintaining the driveway and trees, move snow and any other horse-related activity. The kubota salesman recommends the L5740 at a minimum if I want hydrostat or preferably the M7040. I want enough power, a cab, 4WD and a FEL minimum (doesn't everyone). I have just about every type of dealer nearby.

Sure would appreciate some direction.

Joe
    Big rounds--you'll need a heavy tractor that has an FEL with at least 2500 lb lift capacity. Like my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft high). I also have a skid steer quick attach adapter on the FEL arms (change from the bucket to the bale grapple in a minute or two).

As far as doing your own haying, figure out how many acres and what crops you want to grow. Then select the right size and type of haying implement. Then go tractor shopping (70 hp engine size or larger IMHO).

Good luck.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TC 35 New Holland and 52 Case VAC,LT25 Woodmizer logmill

Horses,goats,roping steers,and beef cattle plus haying operation? Before selecting your toy er-- Tractor ,a sizable investment,I would really look closely at your mix of grazing animals and the acerage requirements to maintain them in good health. How much haying acerage would you have available after your grazing requirements are met? Would you have enough acres available to justify expensive haying equipment? With these questions answered,I would think you would have more confidence in the kind of tractor that would fit your needs. Keep us posted. Pictures please.

Tractor
    Branson 3510

Everything Carykong said. My experience is to contract having hay baled. I fertilize, clean, and prepare fields during the year. Have a reliable bunch come in to cut and bale. If you have the time and money go for it.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH TN75, Kubota M7040, Kubota M110, John Deere 650

Be smarter than I have... We have a NH TN75 (62hp @ pto) and kubota M7040 (62 hp @ pto). We went out and purchased a used baler without thinking if our equipment would handle it. Once we got it home and read the manual it stated not to use a tractor with less that 80+hp @ pto. Crap... we sold the baler (didn't lose money) and bought another. Thought that would be better than buying new tractors. I guess what I'm saying is do your homework prior to pulling the trigger so want have any regrets. By posting this thread your doing just that. TBN is a great source of info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast