Comparison JD 4105 v Kubota L's

/ JD 4105 v Kubota L's #1  

Juan Fries Widdat

Tractor
Kubota L185 - need more
I'm having trouble deciding what tractor I need - and what I'm comfortable driving- anyone care to help me through the confusion? I've had a 1973 Kubota L185 for years and now I'm ready for a big girl tractor for a 50 acre mountain farm - cows and forest - no row crops. The little one is dangerously underpowered (and 2WD) - our old Belarus 50 hp intimidates me - I'm ready to junk it. 35 hp should do everything I might want to do, but will I stay happy?

I just drove a JD 4105 with HST. Prior to driving one I had thought I had to have a Kubota L3400. The extra 5 HP seems to come with a more substantial feel - without substantially more height. I liked the 2 pedals vs the heel/toe.

I'm wanting a backhoe and loader to take care of ditching and roads - also need the ability to snake logs and switch to a 5 foot bush hog. Planning on getting the forks and bale spear. 4WD no matter what.

Changing implements seems more simple on the JD - or did I find a better salesman? I know taking off the backhoe and putting on the 3 point isn't going to be fun no matter what...

For about $2500 difference the JD set-up seems like a better package - will I find the same difference if I step up to a Kubota L4400? The Kubota dealers don't seem eager to let me drive - and I'm kinda uncomfortable with that.

Anybody got a JD 4105 that they really love - or really regret?

Would it be worth going up one more size to get a Deere engine instead of Yanmar? The one thing I still prefer about Kubota is that they make their own parts and implements - but does it matter anymore?

/ JD 4105 v Kubota L's #2  
Unlike some, I don't see any difference in quality between John Deere and Kubota. As to the operator station, I don't care for the feel of the Lxx00 Series, but love it on the Grand Lxx40.

I own a small Deere 2305 and used JD mowers for years and prefer the HST on the Kubota over the JD, but not by a lot and wouldn't even factor that into my decision though it may be important to some.

Some of the posters with more experience with the bigger Deere tractors will give you some specifics, so my only advice is never under estimate the importance of horse power and the right size for your needs. I went shopping for a 30-40 HP and came home with a 50 HP which is just right for my needs. On another property my M8540 is just right and mt L5030 underpowered.

Good luck in your quest and I would not buy from any dealer that would not let me drive a piece of equipment.