Tractor Sizing Muck Farm

/ Muck Farm #1  

shaggi

Hi
I have only worked in clay soil before, have the chance to plant in about 25 acres of rich dark muck soil (pond that was drained years ago), wondering what size machine I am going to need for veggie production? The soil seems very loose, like a peat (guess it is peat) but not sure on how implements act in it, and what HP requirement, if it were clay based, I am guessing about 45, 4wd would work ok, do I need more for muck? maybe 60 or so?
thank you
j

/ Muck Farm #2  
With muck, I'd think it was more about floatation than HP. Have you walked thru this area? I'd worry about sinking after a rainstorm as muck has very little of the friction required to support heavy equipment. Also - what type of vegetables. 25 acres is a LOT of vegetables!

Finally, welcome to TBN. Expand on your question and you'll likely get more useful responses.
Cheers!
Mike

/ Muck Farm #3  
On my dads farm we had 80 acres of this kind of land(peat marsh). There was sixteen miles of tile put in before he could farm it. We ran a D Case tractor with an eight foot disc and at times was lucky to make it from one tile line to the next. Lots of exta work getting the crop in but the reward was really nice crops. In that type of soil Four wheel may be okay but if your fronts will be digging in front of the rears and make things worse. Duels worked best and no extra weight in front. Flotation is whats needed not extra horse power.

/ Muck Farm #4  
Our muck farms where mostly onions and lettuce are grown will support any type of farm equipment..... It depends on what you consider a muck farm, in NY they basically a drained swamp

/ Muck Farm
thanks for all the great feed back!!!

Yes this is a drained swamp, first drained about 45 years ago (although poorly at that time from what i understand). The previous owner expanded little by little by tiling various 'new' sections. Hasn't been worked in 3 years and is starting to be taken over by various swamp type weeds. Plan is to bush hog it, look for the ends of the drain tiles and be sure they are all open. Then work the most well drained parts of the field the first year. I am looking at 70hp Kubota only because financing makes it affordable, and can purchase through not for profit as this is part of an eventual school farm project (that I am personally funding at the moment :(.
Also considering the cub cadet yanmar 45 hp. machine (yeah big difference btwn the 2 machines, but local dealer has a lot of 70hp kubotas sitting around and can get good deal), but not sure it will be up for the task. Won't farm all 25 acres first year, but would like to keep it at least planted in a cover so it doesn't become a swamp.

btw, previous owner used a 50 hp 6cyl. 4wd drive machine, but always had an old machine with tracks on it sitting around for when he got stuck. This sort of worries me, if I get buried, how will I get this thing out, might have to look for an old beat up dozer??

/ Muck Farm
one other comment, I was hoping not to have to buy all the equipment needed to get going by borrowing from local farmers, was really surprised when a local guy said 'no' to my request to borrow a plow, ****, not what I experienced in N. Cal. when I was working on a farm there. Maybe I need to smile more?

/ Muck Farm #7  
could you make a deal with the old owner for the tracked machine?

/ Muck Farm #8  
...was really surprised when a local guy said 'no' to my request to borrow a plow, ****, not what I experienced in N. Cal. when I was working on a farm there. Maybe I need to smile more?

Folks are funny about lending equipment - especially if their livelihood depends on having their equipment both at hand and serviceable. I wouldn't make a business plan based on borrowing equipment. Once you decide which tractor, start making the rounds of farm sales where you can pick up some essential attachments, often at great prices.
Good luck!
Mike