Buying Advice Are "Long" Tractors Any Good?

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #1  

genusCastor

Silver Member
Tractor
see sig
I'm in the market for a smallish (<50hp?) farm tractor and came across this Long tractor. I have not heard of this brand before, any opinions, recommendations, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

- djb

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #2  
We had one at a camp I worked at in high schoola and college, somewhere around 30 hp. It seemed like a fine tractor never had any trouble with it. Not sure i've ever seen a Long dealer before though so I don't know how hard it would be to get parts. If i remember right they are made in Romania.

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #3  
Yeah, had one for several years. newer than that one, that looks like an old 460 maybe? or something like that, I had a 2360, good tractor for what it was, 2WD etc.. they are kinda crudely built by modern tractor standards, Made in Romania, imported by Long in Tarboro NC I think. I am not sure I would pay 4900 for it, unless it was in good condition. Why would someone try to sell something that "needs work". I guess it depends on what you want to do with it, but I think you would be a lot happier with a CUT with 4wd. I know I was.
James K0UA

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #4  
I'm in the market for a smallish (<50hp?) farm tractor and came across this Long tractor. I have not heard of this brand before, any opinions, recommendations, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

- djb

It's an off-brand tractor imported from Romania. Don't even think about buying something like this until you're sure you can get replacement parts and also service (if you're not handy with a wrench).

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good?
I'm OK working with minor mechanical stuff. If all it really needed was hoses & fittings, I could handle that.

What's a 'CUT?' Is that Compact Utility Tractor?

Actually, I'm using my Dad's low profile (compact) John Deere 4010, and I don't care for it at all. It's too small and cramped for me. The end loader is the only thing I like on it... Looks like this one:

1317846-100208095104.full.jpg

- djb

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #6  
I'm OK working with minor mechanical stuff. If all it really needed was hoses & fittings, I could handle that.

What's a 'CUT?' Is that Compact Utility Tractor?

Actually, I'm using my Dad's low profile (compact) John Deere 4010, and I don't care for it at all. It's too small and cramped for me. The end loader is the only thing I like on it... Looks like this one:

1317846-100208095104.full.jpg

- djb

Yep-compact utility tractor--say 25-45 hp (engine). Smaller tractors are called SCUTs = subcompact utility tractor. Larger tractors up to 80-90 hp are utility tractors. After that you get into large agriculture (ag) tractors.

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #7  
Yes, CUT= Compact Utility Tractor, (25 to 40 horse) SCUT= Sub Compact Utility Tractor (maybe 12 to 24 horse) but frame size figures in too not just horsepower.
these are unofficial terms but they are used around here. The little JD you pictured, looks kinda like a SCUT to me. Look the old Long over real good, and if it is what you want, go for it, but you need to be good scrounging parts and wrenching, I think they were good enough tractors for their day, they are just not modern.. of course no modern price either:D But there may be a lot of "workhorse" left in the old machine. I have heard the are the same as some Fiat's and I have seen some references to parts on the web. Good luck
James K0UA

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #8  

Thanks in advance.

- djb

My dad had one and my brother had one. I've got one of them sitting in a shed right now, not running for the past 10 years.

I bought a JD.

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #9  
The Long tractors made in the 70's and 80's were mainly made in Romania by UTB which had a lot of Fiat components. Later sometime in the 90's to early 2000's the ownership changed to FarmTrac. Reading the FarmTrac posting you see the rest of the story. Some of the Long components should be the same as the Oliver 1365 or the Allis Chalmers 5040 as these were UTB type tractors.