Buying Advice John Deere, and some questions

/ John Deere, and some questions #1  

stlawrence

Bronze Member
I've also posted this on the John Deere buying and selling forum, but wanted to open it to the greater community to get more ideas.

I've read years worth of posts on this website - I'll tell you, ya'll are a wealth of information. I marvel at the power of the web - at the information available.

Well, here's my situation. We're buying (I hope, Good Lord willin' and the loan comes through) about 80 acres in upstate New York. It is in the Finger Lakes area, which means we have drumlins (rounded hills). Some of the land is steep enough that it will require up and down working, I think. The land has about 50 acres of abandoned pastures that are grown up with brush, saplings, and goldenrod. The saplings are around 1" - those that are bigger, I guess I'll just cut out with a chainsaw.

I would like to be able to bushhawg the pastures to get them presentable. If I want to cultivate later and plant a crop (alfalfa, white clover, or some other good ground cover), I might contract that out. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I would like to have a FEL, but my wife says money is tight and we might have to get the tractor without the FEL first, then get the FEL in a year or two (after I win the Lottery, which could be any day now).

We will have about five acres of lawn that I would like to be able to cut with the tractor, which would save having to buy another piece of machinery.

So.

I would love to have a JD 4120. That, without the FEL, would just about max out my tractor budget. The bush hog is a necessity - the FEL will be a luxury, I guess. I think a 4105 might work, but I fear it would be a little underpowered for my need to bush hog about 50 acres.

On the other hand, I really like the 5045. That would give me extra hp for a bigger bush hog. It brings several questions, though:

1. For the average farming, is the 4x4 worth the extra cost? I grew up with RWD tractors, and they did everything we wanted them to do. Will I be sorry later if I go with the 5045D, rather than the 5045E? (If I get the D, I can afford the FEL now)
2. What about the HSL drive? I won't be doing a whole lot of FEL work, but is that one of those things that mitigates toward the 4105 or 4120 over the 5045?
3. Mowing the yard - I can't go too big, or I'll leave ruts in Miz Shelley's yard, which would be bad news for everybody. What about turf tires? Would they keep the yard nice, but still be tough enough for field bush hogging?

So, to pin it down - I'm deciding between the 4105, 4120, and 5045. I'd like your opinions, because you know what you're doing, and I clearly don't.

Thanks. Dave

/ John Deere, and some questions #2  
With your hills....you will definitely want 4 wheel drive. I think you want the hydrostatic drive for mowing on hills and loader work...especially if your a new operator....or want others to operate. From my perspective, I would buy a loader with the tractor NOW....even if I bought a slightly used tractor (probably 1/4 to 1/3 less than new).

A good medium duty brush hog...such as the MX 6 would take out up to 3" brush. Put away your chain saw! :thumbsup::D

Your in the right "pew" with the 4xxx Deeres. Nice wide footprint and enough HP for what you want to do IMO.

/ John Deere, and some questions #3  
I'm not up to date on the new JD numbers, mine is a JD4300 HST, about 8-10 yrs old now. Its 32hp.
While we are a bit north of you, if I remember right you might have to deal with snow, as well as do bush hogging. You might bush hog twice a year, but you will move the white stuff a lot more often.
Even with a snow blower, that FEL will make a BIG difference when the drifts get big.
As far as 2wd, I grew up with one, then moved to the city. Thirty years later I moved back where things were civilized and used a 50hp 2wd Case for ONE season, then got a used 4wd 17hp Bota (with HST,FEL and blower). It lasted two years and then I traded for a NEW JD that I have since put 4000hrs on. Never regretted the size, and could not exist without the FEL whether moving snow piles or firewood, not to mention building flowerbeds, moving topsoil, compost, refridgerators, generators or boats. I live on 80 acres of hilly bush and would go NO PLACE once we get snow and ice without 4wd. I paid $250 for my riding lawnmower, but the FEL was the better deal.
Oh, and my 5'2" wife, who will not drive my pickup truck, thinks nothing of hopping on "Johnny" and loading the FEL bucket with "stuff" from her flowerbed for me to dispose of...

/ John Deere, and some questions #4  
I would like to have a FEL, but my wife says money is tight and we might have to get the tractor without the FEL first, then get the FEL in a year or two (after I win the Lottery, which could be any day now).

Big mistake not to get the FEL right away. It'll be cheaper to get it now. Also, why are you limiting yourself to John Deere? You pay alot extra for that green & yellow paint job. There are alot of other brands that are just as good. I have an Oliver, a John Deere & a Kubota so I am not brand-loyal. When I go tractor shopping I know what jobs I need the tractor to do & shop according to the size/horsepower I need & not the brand name. The Oliver 77 & the John Deere LX288 I bought used because I felt I got excellent deals on them. The Kubota B3030HSDCC I bought new because of warranty, financing, & a good deal. I also wanted a small tractor with a factory cab. John Deere had none in this size. The smallest model they had with a factory cab listed for $10,000 more than the Kubota.

/ John Deere, and some questions #5  
My region is more hilly than yours - but I still don't think you will be safe and productive with turf tires. I think they are ONLY appropriate for lawns and golf courses.

I have locked up and slid down the hills - and it's scary. I'm thinking about chains - cause tires are expensive.

Ag tires won't cut up your lawn if you turn with the steering wheel instead of the brakes, and don't mow when it's wet.

/ John Deere, and some questions #6  
A lot of people buy JDs just sort of by default - like it's sort of an industry standard or something, and it isn't. But they charge you up the wazoo for the tractor and parts, because it's.... drum roll... John Deere. Kinda of like Harley-Davidson motorcycles; a simple leather H-D vest will run you $300, instead of $75 like it should.

I would seriously check out Mahindra, especially if you need a loader (and believe me, you'll lie awake at night wishing you had one). Mahindras are tough and reliable, and in fact is the world's largest selling tractor. Mahindra loaders have 30-40 percent more lift capacity that loaders on other comparable tractors. My 40 HP 4025's loader has a breakout capacity of over 3,000 pounds, and will lift about 2,500. I've seen other machines that could barely lift 1,200 pounds. My tractor, loader, 6' HD House shredder, 6' box blade, 7' rake, filled rear/slimed front tires, and 60 mile delivery all cost me right at $20K. Check it out; there are a lot of Mahindra dealers in NY.

/ John Deere, and some questions #7  
A But they charge you up the wazoo for the tractor and parts, because it's.... drum roll... John Deere.

I have to disagree. When I bought my Deere I shopped Deere, Kubota, Mahindra and New Holland. I found the prices for equivalent machines all to be very close.

Some things to consider when buying a tractor is the dealer, service and parts. I have a 30 year old Deere garden tractor. Parts for this piece of equipment are readily available and I have always been treated well by my dealer.

Not all dealers are created equal, but sweeping statement that you will pay more just because it has green yellow paint in my experince is simply not true.

/ John Deere, and some questions #8  
While JD makes great tractors do not forget to look at the others. I would really consider a BobCat, Kioti, Case, New Holland, ect. No matter what you get buy a FEL. You will never believe how handy it can be. Try selling a used modern tractor that size without a FEL.... Next to impossible.

Chris

/ John Deere, and some questions #9  
I have to disagree. When I bought my Deere I shopped Deere, Kubota, Mahindra and New Holland. I found the prices for equivalent machines all to be very close.

Some things to consider when buying a tractor is the dealer, service and parts. I have a 30 year old Deere garden tractor. Parts for this piece of equipment are readily available and I have always been treated well by my dealer.

Not all dealers are created equal, but sweeping statement that you will pay more just because it has green yellow paint in my experince is simply not true.

I agree, and since we both have the same dealer I will say I am well satisfied with them too.

Most of the tractors I have had have been good but over the past years Deere has been more stable in its market than any of the other good brands. I will readily admit I like the colors Deere has and that has probably helped them tremendously over the years.

/ John Deere, and some questions #10  
Definitely get the FEL with your tractor purchase. If you do the math it usually will cost you more to get it added later. 4x4 will be a must but HST may not be as you indicated that you've used tractors in the past and with the shuttle shift it's not quite HST but it's very smooth and easy to use. Good luck.